Used 1996 Volvo 850 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

Interesting little car
By Larry

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

My girlfriend got this car a while back and as the second owner it's been abused.... A lot. Long story short the original owner took immaculate care of her and it shows with every sticker documenting everything that was done to it till around 150k miles, the thing currently has slightly over 160k miles. Electronics are a bit want but the old girl has held up rather well despite the abuse she has been put through. I can turn the key and the engine fires up and runs like a sewing machine. The transmission runs as strong as it ever did. I put this thing on a dead road and just dropped the hammer. For a mid 90's car this thing has impressive performance for a mid 90's car. Better performance then a lot a base model current year cars at that with no turbo. It is old and needs attention and I am aware of that but I have little one on the way and yeah. But asides from the electrical issues it's a rock solid car even now.

My miracle car!
By kathymarchuk@ gmail.com

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought my used Volvo 850 with over 200,000 miles at a time when we were really pressed to have an extra vehicle (multiple kids in college needing cars to get to work). With the mileage on the car being over 200,000, we were expecting it to be a temporary fix. However, we had it for 3 years and drove it past 270,000 miles and would likely have had it for several years more except our teenage son totaled it. Thankfully no one was hurt since the car is like a tank, but we were very saddened that the accident put it out of commission. I would buy another one in a heartbeat, even and older model with a lot of miles.

22 years young
By Paul Baldwin

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan Platinum Limited Edition Turbo 4dr Sedan

One of the safest vehicles on the road. Bought mine new. Service regularly for low maintenance cost (hard to find dealerships in many areas). Still gets 22 city miles per gallon. My Platinum Limited Edition Model is one of the few (only 300 sold) left on the road, too bad, great vehicle.

Great fun and reliable car to drive!
By loveswedcars25

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

I bought my car a year ago from one of my brothers friends. It had been sitting in his garage barely used and barely ran. When I got it, it had 140,000 miles on it, now the odometer reads 150,800 miles. I haven't had any real problem with it. Except for a fuel filter going out, but that's a cheap fix. It has always ran strong and never left me completely stranded on the side of the road. The interior is great, very roomy and comfortable. The engine is like the energizer bunny, it just keeps going and going. And the fact that the car come stock with a underbelly cover makes driving on rocky roads way less worry-some. When this car dies, if it ever does, I will own another Volvo!

Engine, Interior, placement of window, lock, and sunroof controls.

Button to engage full-time AWD.

First Car, But not the last Volvo!
By swedish_love

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 96' 850 in 2009, as my first car, with 112k miles on it. Other than a few select electrical & accessory issues (radio, sunroof, bulbs), and irksome mechanical issues (ac compressor failure) this car has been a complete joy to own. Without a doubt the most comfortable car I've had the pleasure of driving. Smooth, quiet and the exhaust note is quite soothing. Engine reliability has been flawless. I can't say enough great things about this car, just make sure to keep a few extra bucks socked away for maintenance.