2017 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

This is not the car for me.
By KatieTR

2017 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My husband leased the 2018 Tiguan & brought it home as a surprise. It’s a nice looking car and it drives well. It’s the day to day stuff that I hate. I have 2 kids in car seats. They are in the middle row (we have a third row). This renders the 3rd row basically useless. The only access to the third row is scooching and climbing in through the back hatch, because the access from the back seat isn’t possible with car seats installed. The design of the cab makes me and my two daughters get carsick FAR more than in any other vehicle I’ve ever been in. I’m talking almost daily. There is also something about the design that makes the sound when you open and windows almost deafening. It’s such a battle to get the windows all set at levels that can reduce that sound, that it’s just not worth the effort, so we miss out on being able to drive with the windows down almost ever. The auto-shut down is a nice feature for the environment, but it is more of a pain in this car than any other I’ve driven with a similar feature. You have to manually restart the car a LOT. The back area that is shown to be super spacious in commercials would only be so if you also put down the two middle seats. I like to refinish and make furniture, and I can’t even fit a small dresser in the back of this, which has made my hobby about impossible to work with. The back area also slopes toward the hatch door, meaning I have had multiple jugs of OJ, milk, some bottle of root beer, and several other things come crashing and exploding on to the ground when I’ve gotten home from grocery shopping. My phone can’t sit on the passenger seat without the seatbelt alarm ringing the whole time. It’s just a lot of little pain in the butt things that add up to me being really disappointed in this car. I’m extremely frustrated with it. We are a VW family. My Passat is now my husband’s daily driver, and he traded his Jetta wagon for this. I can just about guarantee that I will be looking at a different make when this lease is up or I figure out how to terminate it.

Great Little Buggy
By Teneo

2017 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The Tiguan is a sporty agile small tall wago. Its fun to drive, premium gas not so good. Excellent interior for the price. Overall a very good value!

Great Value
By Dan Becker

2017 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I feel good driving this car. Looks and feels like it could cost a lot more.

VW is better than this.
By JPotter

2017 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

VW has fallen short with the new and improved Tiguan. Where to start? Does anyone make a navigation system that is intuitive? I now use google maps exclusively after wasting my time trying to get directions using the Tiguan nav system. The turbo engine has periods of fairly good performance interrupted by unsuspecting high revs with accompanying noise. The transmission is more in line with what you could have expected from a Yugo. It can’t seem to know if it should be in first, second, or third gear. This is very annoying. The entire driving experience is not what I expected from VW. I am disappointed. I am also disappointed that I didn’t buy the Subaru Forresterwhen 8 had a chance.

Good car with major flaws.
By LNorman

2017 Volkswagen Tiguan Wolfsburg Edition 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car is a good car; nice looking, nice interior, great sunroof. The car is not so good on fuel, engine is loud and there is a serious engine hesitation that may get you seriously hurt. When rolling to a stop sign and accelerating to turn left (mostly), the car stumbles and pumping the gas pedal to get it going doesn't help. One day, I'm going to get hit by somebody. I've taken it to the dealer and they can't fix it. The service tech owns the same car and has the same problem.