Used 2015 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

Used Passat for Sale
Select your model:
12345...14

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

A Ride I'm Proud to Own

Walker, 12/28/2016
Limited Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Before purchasing the '15 Passat, I'd only driven pickups, but after moving out on my own following college graduation, I'd noticed my F-150 was going to be tough to afford. I made the plunge to get this wonderful car in October of 2015 because of the incentives available for it, special financing, and the features coupled with the $25k sticker. I chose black exterior and interior, and added tinted windows. I’m thoroughly pleased that I’ve decided to go with the VW Passat Limited Edition, even after 35k miles (About 2.5k per month). I was skeptical at first about the dinky 1.8L TSI that came with this package, but it doesn’t disappoint. The breaks are superb and reliable. Anyone who has DD’ed for me has commented on them. What’s even better is that they’re not so sensitive that they jar the car to a stop. The top of the pedal push is a little break, the bottom of the push is a LOT of break – as it should be. The handling in this thing will make you feel like you can stick to any corner or fly over an interchange at 85 mph until the traction control immutably kicks in and reminds you that you’re in a sedan and that you’re foolish for mistaking your VW for an F1. Corning and high-speed driving on Texas’ 80+ mph toll roads feels relaxed and controlled with the electronic power-steering (one of my favorite parts about this car). The transmission is nothing special, but includes a tiptronic mode and a sport mode with are both fun. The ride took me some getting used to. The seats are a little stiff, and there’s not a whole lot of extra padding in them like Nissan’s Zero-Gravity seats. But I’ve grown to like these seats, and I’ve even had a coworker who’s a car guy comment on their comfort. They are heated and can practically lay flat fully reclined. Anyone sitting behind me (I’m 5’10”) has had plenty of room, even abnormally large humans. Engine or other passive noises are inaudible at cruising speeds, and road noise is minimal for a sedan with this price tag. I don’t have to yell at my passengers to have a conversation. The suspension is firm as you’d expect from a European car, but there isn’t any obnoxious vibration radiating into the cab from the surface below the tires. The interior is another one of my favorite things. The trunk is “cavernous” (quoting one of my buddies), and the interior is simple – but not stripped-down. This trim doesn’t have the extra steering wheel controls, climate control AC, a sun roof, or advanced options in the instrument display screen, but the push-button start, quality materials, touch-to-unlock door handles, and touch-screen infotainment system make you feel like you haven’t really made compromises at all to get to the price point. It even comes with an amplified 8-speaker sound system which isn’t bad at all. The info panel in the instrument cluster includes a data readout for odo, mpg (instant and average), trip, mph, and miles to “E”. It will even show your current cruise control speed setting which can be adjusted at 1 mph integrals. The door panels feature a nice soft (vinyl maybe?) leather-ish material underneath the window, a silver hard plastic accent piece, metallic latch, leather around the door handle, and textured plastic everywhere else. The dash board follows a similar layout with the soft leather-ish material on top followed by the silver accent piece and textured plastic. Very few parts of this interior feel cheap. To-date (6/2019, 90k miles), I’ve spent $2,700 on regular maintenance, $600 on tires, and $200 for a battery. Haven't had to replace anything else on the vehicle. Lastly, I moved to this car for day-to-day affordability more than anything, and that’s where it’s really delivered. I was paying nearly $750 a month for the note, insurance, and gas to drive my old truck. This car, which is 10 years newer, costs me no more than $550 a month. My commute is about 75% highway, and I’ve averaged 33 mpg (calculated at fill-up). My best road-trip average was 36.6 mpg. I financed at .9% interest for 72mos, put $2.5k down, and lumped in $3k in negative equity from the truck. This brought my total to about $22.7k. Now, I owe about $18.5k on the car, and Edmund’s private party sale value is about $13k. Rats, I’m upside-down on yet another car. It de-valued almost 8k (35%) in one year. But for some reason I don’t care. I love this car. Literally every new person that rides in this thing remarks on how nice it is. It makes them talk about how they wish they had a German car like mine. This car doesn’t BEG for attention, it passively draws attention to itself. The conservative-yet-timeless black and chrome exterior, and simple-yet-stunning interior say “hello, I’m adult enough to worry about the things that matter”. As a recent college-grad trying to make it in the professional world, what more could I want?

3 out of 5 stars

Hot smells and check engine lights

ty, 11/06/2015
Limited Edition PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

hot anti freeze smells that they can’t diagnose. Check engine light shows electrical problems they can’t find and fix. Spending more and more time in shop. This time 3 days and no loaner and still not fixed.

Passat Wolfsburg Edition

darklyanon, 06/06/2015
Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I just purchased this vehicle and I am happy with what I invested in. Car buying is a very serious and in depth look at what the buyer needs and wants. I believe I got what I wanted. This girl has kick, she might have a small engine, but when you need to accelerate out of a complete stop she does that. The handling and turning is very smooth. The engine is as quiet as a mouse. I sometimes have a hard time hearing it when I turn it on. It is a very comfortable ride to sit in. The car came with rubber black mats for my feet as well as my other passengers. The face and the wheels of the car are quite sporty looking. Despite it not sporting a large engine. 1yr Update: Car still handles and preforms to my expectations from about a year ago, so my ratings have not changed. Only issue that cropped up was a October 2015 Recall issue with the Camshaft. Upon starting the car, this part can sheer and in laymens terms it basically affected the breaks performance. The Dealership I purchased this vehicle from updated the on board software to correct the issue. This vehicle did not show signs of the Camshaft sheering or breaking prior to having the software update. The drainage pipe located under the gas cap gets clogged constantly. When the seasons start changing and dirt/pollen become prominent in the air, this pipe needs to be monitored for clogging. Pretty easy to see the water pooling when the car is moved or dripping is present. This is really the worse thing I can say about the cars designs flaws to date.

Amazing Safety

Will, 04/19/2016
SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

At a complete stop in traffic and was hit in the rear bumper by a 2012 Jetta travelling at 45/50 mph. The Passat amazingly absorbed the impact and there was only superficial damage until the body shop determined the internal rear impact bar had done its job but needed replacing. The Jetta was destroyed but the occupant walked away. The VW dealer told me they were not surprised as the Passat is built like a tank.

grey ghost

dale madden, 05/07/2016
Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Comfortable with lots of room and a huge trunk. Simple controls. Fun to drive. Acceleration and brakes are a little touchy. This is my second VW and they still haven't gotten rid of the rattles. Going to have to take it to the dealer to see if they can fix the one in the drivers door cause its driving me nuts. But I still love the car. Good value.

12345...14