Used 2015 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

Used Passat for Sale
Select your model:
12345...14

Pros
Cons
4 out of 5 stars

Great family car, love the excellent mpg

Ed from San Jose, 01/17/2018
TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Purchased this car after the recall of my Jetta TDI . I upgraded to the Passat because I wanted more space and the Passat delivered. I miss my manual drive and wish the Passat came with Manual and a sunroof. Because the manual drive did not have sunroof I went with Automatic. I live on a steep hill and I use the Automatic with downshift option when climbing this hill in particular. The fuel economy is terrific and I get 40mpg with normal driving. I highly recommend. The passat has a backup camera which I use daily to assist in parallel parking outside my home. It is a great car and I highly recommend. I take to the mountains here in CA to go skiing and the car performs well climbing into the mountains and handling on the winding roads. We use the heated seats on cold days. The back seat and trunk are very roomy. Bluetooth and sd card on stereo get a lot of use. When I go to the oil change places they never have the oil filter for passat tdi. I order replacement oil filters and other filters on amazon without problem. I have 80k miles so far and no major issues whatsoever.

TDI for Life

JDM, 06/01/2019
TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

2015 TDI SEL Premium, Black. Bought it with 18K miles after the fiasco. It is German Engineering which most either love or can live without, yet at a price greatly reduced from Audi, yet with many of the high $ fun stuff packages. I fall into the former category. Fun and reliable. VW dealer oil change for the TDI with fuel filter is $84, every 10K miles. Timing replacement spec'd @ 120K, VW dealer estimated @ $500. Spec sheet says 30 town and 42 Highway; with 50K miles on the car, I am getting right at both or a shade higher. Love the ride. Only slight mod I made is an upgraded set of Yokohama Low Pro tires one size larger than OEM. I like the DSG with its Normal mode/Sport mode and then shift lever to right for the manual option. The car interior..i.e. audio system is simple and the Fender audio system is a favorite of my teenage sons! And talk about roomy! Again, I paid twice this price for wife's Acura and it feels like a compact compared to this.

Best Choice in Mid-Size Sedan Class

William, 02/14/2016
Limited Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Fantastic car in every way. Styling, ergonomics, performance and value. Bought my 2015 Passat Limited 5 months ago. Just clocked 6K on the ODO. This car is everything and more than expected in a reasonably priced German engineered sedan. Obviously, long term experience is yet to be seen, but so far it's looking great. Overall I'm getting an average 28MPG, and that's with a 60 mile round trip commute in heavy traffic five days a week. I bought this car brand new for $19,995 and drove it off the showroom floor. I've owned several cars that cost 2x-3x as much and I am very pleased with the overall quality of the Passat. You can't go wrong with this one. It is also quite fun to drive!

4 out of 5 stars

VW paid me to buy another one

Fred Brown, 08/05/2018
TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I've driven diesels since 1983, and was still driving the Mercedes I bought in 1988 in 2012 because they weren't bringing anything I wanted to the USA. Because the car was a stick shift, still looked near-new with 297,000 miles on it, someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse on a car that was getting seriously outdated technologically. I checked the diesels available, including VW, and soon after bought a Jetta TDI 6M because the dealer called me with a bargain offer. Someone loved their Jetta TDI so much, they traded it after only 10 months for a similar Passat. Price was great. And...I liked it too, but kept it and just bought a 2014 Passat TDI 6M in addition. REALLY loved that car, but in Spring 2018 VW decided the few hundred stick-shift Passat TDI's were too hard to write new software for, and notified me it had to be sold back to them. So I located an auto broker who had just bought two trailer loads of VW's from the company, and two of them where 2015 TDI 6M's one with very low mileage when it was "sequestered". Stick shifts weren't popular in his city, and he offered it to me for over $10,000 less than VW had paid me for my 2014. The car has the new "Euro 6" diesel, which meets US and European emissions limits honestly. Some of the interior has been cheapened a little, and I swapped many switches, the seats, interior lighting, and some trim, from my 2014 to the 2015 before selling it back to VW. They said they didn't care. Driving it home the 350+ miles from the broker, on mostly Interstate with the cruise set on 82 mph, and about 80 miles of rural 2-lane, I got 54.9 mpg. That's about 3 mpg better than my 2014 with the older engine (which is the same as the one in my Jetta TDI, which has been trouble-free at 95,000 miles). With its 240 ft/lb of torque as low as 1,500 rpm it has ample freeway acceleration, its ride is superb, handling excellent for a FWD car (I own and drive sports cars), and as everyone notes, passenger and luggage space is astounding. The dimensions and body shell are about identical with the Audi A6, yet the Passat gets 2+ extra inches of rear leg room, without giving up trunk space or front passenger space. How?? I have not had to test the stability control on this car, but it is essentially the same as on the Jetta TDI - and I HAVE tested that: cresting a slight to an overpass at 75 mph in the Interstate, traffic was at a complete standstill due to an accident, and in the half-second it took me to realize the situation, I also noted there were several chain-reaction rear-end collisions right in front of me as a result. Knowing I had stability control, I jammed on the brakes, steered onto the left shoulder, right wheels on asphalt and left wheels on grass which sloped steeply left to a drainage channel in the center of the median as the Interstate sloped downward from the overpass I'd just crossed. And doing still over 50 mph, the car did not swerve, did not slide down the hill and overturn, it simply juddered a bit and stopped. beside about the 3rd car in the line. And, as the car behind me hit the car I had been behind. You can tell I think VW has done a good job on the stability control's logic. I don't really expect this Passat to be "nearly new" as it nears 300,000 miles like my last Mercedes was. That was a car designed to be "the European/world taxi" as well as a nice passenger car, and there are many, many in Europe with over 2 million miles. But the last of VW's TDI's with the 2015 Euro 6 motor they currently use there (and the most popular motor in Europe in their larger cars) is a fine car, made in Chattanooga TN thought it may be, with the motor shipped in and installed. They haven't used the diesel in the US in 2017 or 2018, but the new[ish] turbo4 gasoline engine does a great job, has almost the power of the diesel, and since you probably like automatic cars instead of the stick shifts I use exclusively, you'll find the Passat an amazing bargain. A big, comfortable, great handling, economy car. Say what?! Update 08/05/2020. I’ve continued to be happy with this car, getting 39-41 mpg around town and 53-54 mpg on Interstates. I appreciated being able to twice make a 700 mile trip without having to refuel, needing only a picnic lunch and mask (restroom!) to stop at rest areas prepared for the Covid-19 pandemic. No mechanical issues other than a major clutch job I knew would be needed the day I bought the car - the first owner clearly didn’t usually drive straight shift cars. It took a bit of of the $10,000 “discount” (see above) but not too much. Comfort, spaciousness, road noise suppression, still amaze me for the price range. And my worries about repairs to a rare Euro 6 diesel have faded as VW has not reduced their use in all other markets, with diesels continuing to be in 3/4 of their cars outside the USA.

3 out of 5 stars

Love it

William Hayles, 03/24/2019
TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We bought this car for work commute. The vehicle rides and drives great. It is a sedan but handles like a sports car. Fuel echos terrific averaging about 48 miles a gallon. It’s a diesel so that helps with the fuel economy but it’s no hot rod. It still has pretty good pep but yet it’s still comfortable for us. It’s a great car for the money.

12345...14