Used 2008 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

Used Passat for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...26

Pros
Cons
3 out of 5 stars

Check engine light

Tim, 09/05/2016
Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is a sweet car with nice get up and go. It has several nice conviniences and a lot storage. I average 25mpg with 80% driving on the highway. My only complaint is the check engine light is constantly on and VW dealers charge $100 just to look at it. This car is like a boat, it's a blast to have but is very high maintenance and costs a lot to maintain. I don't like having to fill up with premium gas when filling up either.

2 out of 5 stars
3 out of 5 stars

1 out of 5 stars

Worst car I have ever owned. We sold it. Junk!!!!

mike, 01/09/2018
Turbo 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 01/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We bought this car used. It looked great and seemed to be a good deal. We have 4 other cars. 2 Toyota vans one withe 190,000 miles , the other has 214,000 miles. we also have an older Subaru. The VW is not allowed to leave out little town because it is so unreliable. It has broken down almost any time it's been over 20 miles away. Fuel problems, head, carbon build up, have replaced the injectors, fuel rail, and more. Giant piece of crap!!!

2 out of 5 stars
4 out of 5 stars

Burning Oil

discouraged3, 01/03/2012
Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my Passat Komfort new 2008 and was very excited because I had just traded a 2007 Passat Wolfburg limited edition with no problems. After driving this 2008 passat for 50,000 the vehicle engine shut down engine light came on and I stop to checked the oil and the oil stick was dry. The vehicle was towed to the dealership because I was told not to drive it and they said the vehicle had oil but not reading on the stick and the car only get around 600 miles to a quart. now i have to check the oil often before the oil changes. The car now in 2011 is buring oil as fast as I add oil. It make me sick to know I paid 30,000 for a vehicle and now have to check the oil during every fill up.

4.75 out of 5 stars

Wagons are sexy

vwbliss, 06/24/2008
Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've had this Passat since January and the Mrs and I have put on almost 13,000 miles so far. we've driven it to Denver, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Duluth, Davenport, Milwaukee. gas mileage on the highway lately at 70 mph is giving back about 32 mpg and up to 34.4. for the size of the car that it is, the turbo is plenty of power and fuel economy is much better than the Taurus that i had last and the same 200 hp. i can't really say anything about reliability issues because i haven't had any. the only set back to the car is doing solely city driving i get about 16 mpg, but if you do combination you'll likely see 26.5 mpg so still much better than 19 mpg with a Taurus that i had previous.

What a ride!

Komforter, 08/20/2008
Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Test drove a new Hyundai Genesis. It was nice and luxurious but not very exciting to drive. Test drove the 2009 Acura TSX. It has lots of gadgets but had very hard/uncomfortable seats and the back lights on everything were a very dull looking gray like driving an old black and white TV (blah)! I test drove a 2008 Malibu. Very nice with tons of extras but not my first choice for the money. The Camry can't compare when talking about a fun car to drive so no need to go any further on that. The 2008 Passat is the car that really delivers in all areas. It's great fun to drive, looks and feels luxurious while still being sporty. The price is actually quite good for all you get. What a ride!

12345...26