Used 2008 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 127 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

200,000 mile Passat Wagon
By Scott

2008 Volkswagen Passat Turbo 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Great car! Low cost of ownership, fast, handles well, good gas mileage. Very European firm ride however. I put 165,000 of the 200,000 miles on it. Runs like the day I bought it. I guess I got a good one!

Worst car I have ever owned
By mike

2008 Volkswagen Passat Turbo 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 01/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We bought this car used. It looked great and seemed to be a good deal. We have 4 other cars. 2 Toyota vans one withe 190,000 miles , the other has 214,000 miles. we also have an older Subaru. The VW is not allowed to leave out little town because it is so unreliable. It has broken down almost any time it's been over 20 miles away. Fuel problems, head, carbon build up, have replaced the injectors, fuel rail, and more. Giant piece of crap!!!

Daughters first car
By Joel Mccowan

2008 Volkswagen Passat Turbo 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 01/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Like everything about it, good gas mileage, handles well, comfortable, front wheel drive, enough power when you need it and stylish

Check engine light
By Tim

2008 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is a sweet car with nice get up and go. It has several nice conviniences and a lot storage. I average 25mpg with 80% driving on the highway. My only complaint is the check engine light is constantly on and VW dealers charge $100 just to look at it. This car is like a boat, it's a blast to have but is very high maintenance and costs a lot to maintain. I don't like having to fill up with premium gas when filling up either.

So far a good value for me
By Schooder

2008 Volkswagen Passat Turbo 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car used at a dealer.7/2015 I live at 7000' above sea level and occasionally drive to 5400' (New Mexico) This is important to understand reference to performance. The 4 cylinder Turbo accelerates nicely at this altitude. It accelerates close to or better that my 2006 Toyota 4runner V8.
I wanted to change the shifter handle for esthetic reasons and ended up damaging a small piece of plastic and ended up with a $1100 repair bill the replace the entire shifter module which had to remove from the bottom of the vehicle. The makers obviously was not intending this to be removed, so be careful if you want to change out the leather shift handle. I really like the way the windows operate. Typical German engineering, all the windows come up/down with one touch instead of just the driver door. There is a full size spare tire. The cruise control works great, one button push is all that is needed. And accelerates good. I bought it at 76,000 and now has 86,000 miles(1/2016). I think the ride could be smoother. I wonder if different tires would help. I think VW has always been a poor man's Audi. It doesn't feel as solid as or as smooth on the road as smooth as A4s I have owned.