Used 2005 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 168 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Best car so far!!!
By Doug

2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought this Passat used because I needed another vehicle to drive to work that got good gas mileage! I'm proud of my decision! This car has all the comfort, gas mileage and acceleration I need. Visibility is great, the GLS Tdi trim package is the best! I would not trade this car for anything! With 163,000 miles, I'm just breaking that sweet diesel in!

Wouldn't buy it again
By Otho DuBois

2005 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

For starters, I did not want to buy this car, but I was heavily pressured into by my parents for my car. I've owned it almost 2 years to the date and bought it for pretty cheap with about 105,000. I properly put oil in the car regularly and service it myself. Since I've owned it I've had to replace all the vacuum hose as it broke apart, the timing belt, 2 rotors, radiator fan, a number of hoses, gas cap, and now the motor (head gasket blew). I don't think i've driven it more than 7 consecutive months without something major going wrong. The first thing happened about 7 months after I had the car, I believe it was something along the lines of I was getting terrible mileage, the car was overheating when it wasn't moving, and I was losing a lot of oil. We fixed everything, a few months later the car stopped working while I was turning, the steering locked, and it was smoking, scarier than hell. We fixed that, which turned out to be a lot of stuff, the car had also run out of oil (I had put oil in it just a week before) and it gave me no warning whats so ever. We finally get everything done again, and a few months later i'm driving and the front bumper just decides to fall off, no warning, no sagging, I didn't hit anything, it just fell off while I was going about 60 mph. I replace the bumper and the bolts for it. About a month later everything is going ok and bam, blows a head gasket out of no where. Now i'm replacing the motor. All of this in just 20,000 miles. I'm now going to drive the car for about a month when i'm done fixing it and then i'm going to sell it. Im done with it. Also the parts are expensive.

Great auto
By James hansel

2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Great auto

Very Fine Automobile
By Dennis J

2005 Volkswagen Passat GL TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought my 2005 GLS TDI new after test driving a base gas model. At the time, the gas and diesel models were the same price, the diesel mileage was far superior, and the cost of diesel was quite a bit less than gasoline so this was a no-brainer. Now, diesel is often more expensive than gasoline, and sometimes even 15-20% more, so the diesel advantage is not what it once was. Still, I like being able to go almost 600 miles on a fillup, and I love the power, reliability and longevity of this engine. I have 175,000 miles on my Passat and have not had a single repair bill outside of scheduled maintenance. The most expensive maintenance is the timing belt replacement every 80-100K miles. The car has excellent pickup, not as peppy as the gasoline Passat, but much better than most cars that I've driven, including V8s. The 10,000 mile interval for the synthetic oil change offsets the higher costs associated with changing the oil. This service, like most, is best performed by the owner, the dealer, or a shop specializing in German autos. Maintenance costs are slightly more expensive and servicing establishments more limited than Japanese, American, Korean or other cars, but the Passat spends very little time in the shop. I think that this has been an extremely economical car, but it drives as well or better than cars costing quite a bit more to purchase or maintain.

TDi 2005 Wagon
By John batt

2005 Volkswagen Passat GL TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Regretfully sold it to a neighbor. It is still running well with no additional problems and is approaching 100K miles. Powerful and roomy. Great road car.