Used 1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews

Used New Beetle for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...19

Pros
Cons

3rd owner 98 beetle TDI

Hadyn, 12/14/2015
2dr Hatchback

If you can buy one used these days, do it. I got mine for under 3k and it has 180k miles on it. I got it because I found it at such a great price and VW mechanic owned. I never expected I'd ever like owning a new beetle and just saw it as a cheap, clean car that gets incredible gas Mileage. Being 6'2" I usually would never have bought a car this small but I do have a good 6 inches of headroom between the top of my head and the headliner. It's not fast, but it's quick. The torque is a lot for that little bug and it really does get around. Overall I'm very happy with my second hand purchase and maybe I just got a good one by the looks of the mixed reviews here.

Rough around the edges but never one to let me down :)

koypond, 08/26/2013
2dr Hatchback

Bought this car to go back and fourth to university with. Its a pretty good little car for one person if you ask me, it drives smooth and is easy to maneuver. the interior is a bit vexing, but easy to accept given the lovable exterior :) would never wanna sell it! its become my partner in crime.

Fantastic Commuter Car!

dieselbreath, 03/29/2003
TDi 2dr Hatchback

I ordered this car Jan.1998 after sitting in one at the Vancouver International Auto Show (I'm 6'5"). But its so much better than just an economy car with headroom. Beetles handle well. The torque launches the car off traffic lights faster than most "performance" cars! Maneuvering in tight locations is a breeze, and there are parking spots it will fit into everywhere. LOW POINTS: - its low to the ground ... if you encounter lots of snow its not the car for you. - the suspension doesn't have the travel to soak up bumps like a typical German car. - the back seat is NOT for adults. (but kids love it) Other than that its reliable and economical.

It's worth the few flaws!!

kassidyheath, 08/02/2012
2dr Hatchback

I bought this car last year with 100,000 miles on it, and throughout the additional 16,000 miles i've driven, the problems have been minor, few, and far between. I felt confident buying it with so many miles already on it because Volkswagen engines seem to be bulletproof. Initially when idling, the engine would have a tendency to overheat in the Florida summers but having a mechanic for a father and adjusting the cooling system there haven't been any problems since. The transmission is a little rough during acceleration and deceleration, but it's 14 years old. I rear ended a pickup once pretty hard and the truck suffered a lot worse than the Beetle! Very safe, love this car.

My very 1st Car !!!

jjnj, 02/22/2016
2dr Hatchback

This car is a great 1st car . I'm in love with my Red Buggy! Having to refill the gas tank can be kind of hectic but it's a very cute and enough room for me and my friends to ride in comfortably. It's not for a group of 5 at all, I love the long dashboard and how I can adjust the seat just right so I can get comfortable. My car is 18 years old my parents bought it through a friend and when we got it , it barely worked now it runs as good as any car on the road today just needs tint and a paint job and she'll be back to good.

12345...19