Used 2017 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews

Used Jetta for Sale
Select your model:
12345...13

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

A Very Pleasant Surprise!

J. Johansson, 03/25/2018
1.8T Sport 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

In 2016 I was reorganizing my life. I traded in a newish Volvo, for this a brand new Jetta Sport 1.8 Turbo. It was the most intriguing car at this price point. (It was important that I purchased within my means, still having a new, dependable car with warranty - but that was within my budget.) Everything else seemed cheap. I really was expecting to not like it and to be very unhappy. But to my surprise, this Jetta sports model with larger, turbocharged engine, revised suspension, wheels and tires, and 2 tone seating - drives like a sports car. It has great acceleration, tight steering and great interior with seat bolsters that hold you in place! It feels A LOT more like an Audi than a Volkswagen! My friend calls it a poor mans Audi. I agree. It also has a sleeker appearance sitting lower to the ground on larger sport wheels and tires. For the price, it's amazing and a bonafide secret. Seriously, if you strap on one of these sports models you will be sold! Oh, and it has a huge trunk! This review is for the Sport model with the 1.8 liter turbo. I can't vouch for the regular 1.4 liter turbo models.

21,000 mile report

ezshift5, 06/02/2019
1.4T S 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The initial cost was rock botton low due in part to VW's world- wise emissions situation. At $14,337 Cash OTD, I still had over 10 large to bank following VW's buyback of my 2013 JSW TDI. Car has had no issues since delivery. Fuelly indicates 39.9 MPG average for the 21k. Trunk is huge. Transmission and clutch are very easy to use. Brakes are effective with no fade or judder noted to date. I could do without the hard plastic interior and the non-VTEX seats - but again the price was right!!

3 out of 5 stars
5 out of 5 stars

A Great Value For The Money!

George Townsend, 11/11/2016
1.8T SEL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased this car because I'm selling my 2011 Jetta Diesel back to Volkswagen as part of the emissions lawsuit where VW "gamed" the emissions tests and got caught. I loved my diesel Jetta but it had 135,000 miles on it and the lawsuit offered me a $15300 buy-back deal. For an additional $10,000 I bought a brand-new 2017 SEL with a 1.8Liter turbo engine and all the bells and whistles. It doesn't get the mileage of my diesel (up to 53mpg) but it rides terrifically and has all the options one could want. The car is fast, with great acceleration from the turbocharged engine, and it's nimble in the curves and in braking. There's plenty of room for 5 persons and the trunk is roomy and spacious! Unfortunately, VW isn't offering the 36,000 mile free maintenance warranty anymore, but this car is reliable and steady, needing only oil changes in the short term.

5 out of 5 stars

Three and a half years, no issues

Pete, 07/19/2018
1.4T S 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Fun little car with spunk and great gas mileage- not unusual to average over 40 mpg on the highway. We have moved to the mountains in Colorado, lots of hills at altitude has dropped fuel mileage to around 34, at 8,500 feet that's pretty good! Plenty of power for the mountains as long as RPM stays above 1500. We've had it for three and a half years now and have put 33K miles on (not driving much - Covid) with no issues. Received 1st recall notice this month for fuel rail. 6 speed would be better but love the car. Very happy with purchase and experience so far.

3 out of 5 stars

2017 VW GLI: Civility with a killer instinct

Jason S. Davis, 11/02/2016
2.0T GLI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This car is hungry; truly in an almost uncivilized way...to be driven. The 210 hp TSI engine growls like it just wants more road to chew. For those who have heard criticism of VWs engine amplification to the cabin, three things: 1. Consider the source. 2. It’s an asset to hear when to shift gears. 3. Give it a listen first hand, the sound befits the agility of the car. Cornering is effortless and quick (four-wheel independent suspension) and the DSG gearing leaves cars in the rear view mirror at an alarming rate. The SE package is the only trim offering this year but valued well with every 2016 SEL amenity sans some front lighting features. As far as the body styling, the accents are sharply placed and the overall body appearance will undoubtedly age better than its over-styled U.S. and foreign competitors. The cabin is comfortable, well thought out and designed for both driver and passenger. Nod to Fender and VW for and even more remarkable sounding stereo then my previous 2012 Fender system. One wish: Versus my 2012 Jetta TDI, I have lost around 29 lb-ft torque which I long for at times. At that point, the GLI horse power with its torque placement at the low-end of the RPMs (unlike its “completion”) and my wish for the deisel has disappeared. Between the pairing of the 210 horse and the low-end pull the clamouring for the lost torque is a long distant memory (sort of like the car that could have been behind me just a second ago). Bottom line: Pick a nice day and go for a test drive...be prepared for the "giddy up" and to enjoy yourself. *One additional comment: in my experience, not having a GTI badge means you get most of the performance with fewer tickets secondary to it being a sedan. I have driven and appreciate both and “you can’t argue taste” but I appreciate a “sleeper” over something that screams.

12345...13