Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews

Used Jetta for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...80

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

'01 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8L Wolfsburg Ed.

Andrew, 06/19/2008
GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I just recently bought my 2001 Jetta. I have heard of all of the problems and concerns they have. I did my research and in my opinion it is worth it. If you buy a Volkswagen you must realize that one; it is an ALL GERMAN MADE VEHICLE. Most cars on the road, whether it be Toyota, Honda, Subuaru or Audi, most of the parts are made in America. Excluding 2008 models, VW's are exclusively made in Germany, especially engine parts, hoses, etc. I have had to put some work and money into it but for the gas mileage, performance, handling and safety, I love it. Plus I enjoy learning about my car and how to fix it. It has flaws, all cars do, and VWs take a bit extra work, but to me it is worth it!!!

4 out of 5 stars

Satisfied and Secure Jetta Owner

nywvblue, 08/15/2012
GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car from its original owner, a retired couple, with 75,000 miles on it and at 6 years old. It had some strange wear in the interior (the arm rests on the doors in the front were half peeled away), but otherwise it was in perfect condition. It lived with me in NYC for the next 2+ years and, aside from a nagging CEL situation due to the MAF sensor failing every 8 months or so as well the mechanism in one side window suddenly failing, it has been a super, reliable car.

3.88 out of 5 stars

Fun to drive, slowly falling apart

Tiznow80, 03/13/2010
GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

It's strange with this car. I really enjoy driving it but I've had issues with it for a long time. I had to replace all 6 engine coils about 3 years ago that cost me $800. Various other things have broken as well (glove box, arm rest - 2 places, rear ash tray, turn signal - twice and front bumper coming off. Saying all of that, it's a fun car to drive with a lot of great options.

4.75 out of 5 stars

A Nice Ride

Goodriver52, 05/31/2010
GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Jetta GL has 128,000 miles on it now and still has the original front brakes, exhaust system and clutch. The 2.0 liter 4 gets excellent gas mileage and the 5 speed manual trans is fun to use. I take it to the dealer for servicing every 5000 miles. Maintenance is expensive but well worth it. This car has been trouble free and I hope to get at least 300,000 miles before letting her go. Even tho the 2.0 is not a muscular engine it is very smooth. This car's handling is tight and very maneuverable.

3.88 out of 5 stars

Still like to drive it after 11 years

fixit58, 07/11/2012
GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 2001, now @ 160k mi. Averaging 31 mpg. Love the versatility of the wagon and the roof rack. Engine is anemic, despite very short final drive ratio of transmission, but car cruises comfortably at 80 mph. Engine has always used 1 qt of oil per 1500 mi, more in commuting, less with long distance travel. Everything is original except most sensors, timing belt, water pump, coil pack, plug wires (2x), horns, consumables like lamps, plugs, filters, brake pads (rear only). Had a few recalls, water intrusion into interior, the lower engine cover has taken many beatings from scraping on curbs, and that's about it. Enjoying a reliable car with no further depreciation.

12345...80