Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews

Used Jetta for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...80

Pros
Cons
4.63 out of 5 stars

I love this Car

VR6BeautifulCAR, 11/09/2010
GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned the 2001 VW Jetta GLX VR6 for a year now. This car is quick, comfortable and fun to drive. The only things I have replaced is a camshaft position sensor and since VW's are known to have problems with the coilpacks I converted the coilpack over to a GM Style MSD pack (this conversion can only be done on the VR6). I really don't why people give this car gets poor reviews I have been good to this car with regular maintenance and in turn it has been good to me. Also keep in mind this is a VR6 which means if you are looking for a car with good gas mileage you better look else where. VR6 means POWER not ECONOMIC!!

3 out of 5 stars

Not really worth it.

bj789, 07/17/2012
GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I owned my Jetta for almost 3 years. It was initially fun, but as I put miles on the car the check engine light became a familiar occurrence. Took it to independent mechanics to save a little on repairs but it seemed like I'd leave just to have another issue crop up. Started taking it to the local dealer so of course I paid through the nose for repairs (like all German cars). While not quite as expensive as my Mercedes to maintain, it still felt weird paying a premium for maintenance on a non-luxury badge. There were the enjoyable times with the car, it was loaded with great features and it was quiet and quick. But in the end, the bad outweighed the good.

4 out of 5 stars

My experience

Norma Rubin, 06/04/2005
GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have 87,000 miles on my 2001 Jetta VR6 wagon. So far I have had the mass air flow sensor replaced, which VW refunded part of the money. And the coil also was replaced, but what really flip me out was that the rear brakes had to be completely replaced at 25,000 miles that cost $1000. I love the way the car performs, but not so crazy with the fuel economy; highway 22 to 25 mpg city 15 to 18. What I don't see other owners talk about is the stereo, I think it is the best car stereo a car manufacturer has installed in a car in its class. I also notice that with this five year old car that the imitation wood trim is cracking and it will need to be replaced

5 out of 5 stars

2001 Wolfsburg Edition

Q_200Hp, 03/21/2002
GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2001 Wolfsburg Edition Jetta a year ago and I absolutely love it. The 1.8 Liter turbo provides plenty of power, the sports suspension is great, and the breaks are incredible. With a 1/4 inch stainless steel exhaust down pipe including the CAT and a wideband O2 sensor ($300 part alone!!!!! Most cars only have a $50 part). I don’t know any other car with those stock components. I have tunned my car putting in a strut bar and increasing the boost. It was a lot of trouble to do so, but well worth it. Now I have 200hp and can take on a VR6.

4.63 out of 5 stars

Great commuter car

Phlonet, 01/27/2004
GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

In the first year I was driving 120 miles per day and was getting between 50-55 mpg. My commute lessened considerably, and now I'm only getting mid 40s, though on longer trips its back up around 50. While the TDI doesn't have quite as much pep as a 1.8T or a V6, its still sportier than many other "economy" commuter vehicles. Takes a little bit longer to start when its below zero, but have never had it fail to start. Only one mechanical issue related the glowplugs that was misdiagnosed at first, but then fixed properly on a subsequent visit. I wholeheartedly recommend this car to anyone who has to drive any sort of distance.

12345...80