Used 2004 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews

Used GTI for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...18

Pros
Cons
4.88 out of 5 stars

Hot-hatch, Cheap Speed, All kinda fun

jwestie85, 09/02/2012
VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I'm only 27 yrs old, but have gone through cars like water because i suffer from, "Gotta have the next thing-itis", and yeah, it's terminal. But anywho, this little car has got to be one of the best values for any one who REALLY loves to drive, and drive fast. This car fells uber strong 1st through 3rd gear, and the higher gears aren't too shabby either. (In 3rd at 6500 RPM, you're doing 85mph) The gas mileage isn't great if you stay in it, but is capable of getting 26 mpg or so on interstate. The 6 spd manual is an absolute dream to drive, takes learning to drive it right, but when you and the car agree, it's a beautiful thing. Summary: The German's build driver's cars.

4.38 out of 5 stars

firsttimeVdub

firsttimevdub, 06/10/2012
1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my first VW. Bought it used with 41K on it, and it's now got 123k and still going strong. This car is probably the most under-rated vehicle I've ever owned. It's super quick off the line, and even makes a nice cruiser on the highway. I drive quite a bit for work and have always had sufficient power I need to get around the freeways of Southern California. It's been a great car with no major issues. I feed it synthetic oil and 91 octane gas and it in turn, gets me where I need to go every single day. I'm sorry to have to sell it and get a 4 door, but if you're looking for a great car and don't need room for say, a child seat, I'd definitely check it out.

4.5 out of 5 stars

Triumphant Pocket Rocket

M, 10/30/2009
VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I've had my GTI for right at 6 years now. Thus far I have only had one problem with it, and it was my fault. (I damage the clutch switch whilst I was installing an aftermarket sound system.) The car is quick - not fast, a title I reserve for vehicles that are actually fast, comfortable, and fun to drive. The leather seems to be of relatively high quality, and is quite supple. For an economical two door compact this one is great.

4.38 out of 5 stars

7 VWs and I love each of them

TheRaven, 05/29/2010
1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 2004 GTI is number 7 on my list of VWs I have owned. Aside from the ridiculous place of the cup holders (which I am now over) I love all of this car. I have 76k on it now and it runs great. Everyone who complains about the quality of their VW does not follow the directions provided by VW. You must use full synthetic oil, preferably from the approved oil list from VW. You must do routine maintenance when it is supposed to be done. I always do my maintenance on time and I have had a variety of VWs go to nearly 300k miles. Treat the car nicely, drive it nicely, fix whatever breaks. If a person acts like they like the car and takes care of it, it will last.

4.88 out of 5 stars

Best used car I've ever had

rooyax, 07/11/2011
1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this in 09 with 91k, now have 105k. The quality of the interior is top notch, love the feel of the switch gear. Shifting and clutch action on the 5 speed is very smooth. Get around 24mpg mostly city driving, 30mpg hiway. I have the 17" rims which really look sharp. Great stereo too. Only repair besides tires in 2.5 yrs was coil modules that caused it to run like it was on 2 cylinders, was able to limp to shop in that shape. Check engine light is persistent for coolant temp, but confirmed that actual temp matches gauge, not hot. Just enough fun to drive with a couple blasts through 1st & 2nd with great cornering, but not too much power to get in trouble. Broke console hinge

12345...18