Used 2011 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Smokin Car
By Nikki

2011 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought my automatic Gold TDI in tornado red in 2011. It was my first new car. It was difficult to find as I was living in Louisiana and had to get it in Texas. This car is so much fun to drive -- and this coming from someone who doesn't particularly enjoy driving! The car has peppy pickup but it's the diesel torque (256 feet pounds of it!) that will blow you -- and other car drivers! -- away. The cabin design is fairly upscale for a moderately priced sub-compact car . . . and once "Red" (yes that's her name) turned over 40k miles, her mileage got even better (averaging 47 mpg). The driving dynamics are solid -- she hugs the road and has no list on cornering. The seats are bolstered, include a lumbar support on the driver's side, and are very comfortable.

I wish leather seats and seat memory were offered. The diesels do have one quirky thing: they warm up slowly so they feel quite "hurky jerky" for about five minutes after startup. I understand this is by design and a fuel efficiency thing.

If you are looking for a smart car that can hold her own on the highway, has great driving dynamics and will same you money at the pump, it doesn't get any better than this in this class. If you're willing to spend more, the BMW Series 3 Diesel is a plusher ride but it has a much heftier price tag.

I am writing this at a time when the diesel scandal at VW has broken. I still love my car and emissions aside, I think it's a better environmental choice than gas guzzlers. Red truly is a smoking car...and my husband loves it even more than I do.

Keeping My Golf pt. 5
By Dave Ernst

2011 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Sounding like a broken record...but I haven’t any complaints about my Golf. Reliable and solid describe the car well. Over 7 years old now. Guess I’m in it for the long haul, since I see no reason to trade. Still like the feel and looks of the car. Have stayed on top of scheduled maintenance. Plan to continue to see if it’s the path to VW longevity.

Fun to drive, practical, reliable.
By jdmarrapese

2011 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought this car as a CPO with 20k miles. It was totaled around 70k miles. Fun to drive car, the 2.5 engine is torquey, but certainly not on par with the GTI. The interior is comfortable and holds up well, except for the headliner, which began to sag when the car was 4 years old; out of warranty & VW won't fix it. That aside I haven't had any other issues with the car, and I drove the car pretty hard. If you're driving it in the snow, I'd suggest getting snow tires. Sad to see the car get towed away. Besides the headliner issue I've been very happy with the car and would buy another one.

one of the best
By johnlewisgrant

2011 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Sold the lexus, kept the golf.
Smoother, better on bumps, much better on highway, handling is vastly superior, reliability is equal or better (that's been our experience).

Es 350 is slightly quieter, but the handling and ride are demonstrably inferior.

Update: 60k later. No problems. 2010 golf (gas) still running as new. And it has not been babied. Far from it.

Big disappointment
By riptide262

2011 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This car was underwhelming.
Coming from a 200 HP Saab,
I did not mind the weak engine except the manual transmission would fight any attempt to downshift quickly.
The heater/AC moved so little air that you were either cold/hot or had to listen to the fan drone away on high.
The steering feel was nonexistent. You could not feel the front end break loose on snow.
The final straw was a fuel cut off that caused it to die in traffic if short shifted.
It was fun to make fun of the driver who stalled in traffic until we were hit from behind because the car would just stop without brake lights.
There was no warning.
You would be driving in slowing traffic and it would stop.

Comfortable seats. Great milage. Just the right size. Decent radio.

1. No steering feel. Not uncommon in cars with electric power steering but this sets a new low bar. 2. Manual transmission refuses to shift quickly, especially the 6-3 down shift 3. The engine would stall hard if brought even slightly below idle speed. Granted, this is a driver error but I have never driven a car that would just stall if you selected 4th gear instead of 3rd. The car just stops like the driver slammed on the brakes except there are no brake lights. This problem was so bad that we did not let our kids drive the car after my wife was involved in an accident. She has logged over 250,000 miles with a manual transmission.