Used 2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Prius Cabin Noise
By A. J. Cyr

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback Five 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought a 2016 Prius V to travel around the US after I retire this year. Have been very satisfied with the fuel economy, but very disappointed in the road/wind noise in the vehicle at highway speeds. I find this annoying, loud noise, unacceptable, to try to drive 20 k miles around the country. As it is, I would need ear protection to drive this 4, 5 or 6 hours a day on the highways. Not a good idea when traveling with your wife. I will attempt to install sound deadening mats or fabric to see if this will help to reduce cabin noise, but, the noise seems to come from the windows. Not sure if mats will help. Also looking at other hybrids to trade up to. Too bad. Excellent mileage, but wicked bad cabin noise. Toyota should have put more effort in sound control in this cab when they retooled the model in 2016.

Rattle, rattle, bang, bang
By John

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback Four 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Visibility from inside the car is very poor. The backup camera is useless a far as telling you how far away from an object you are. If there's an elephant behind you, you'll be able to see it but not know how far away it is--until you hit it. The long sloping windshield pushes the dash out so far it's hard to see over it making it impossible to know where the front of your car ends and the car you're trying to park next to begins. Same goes for the rear window. Everything rattles. If you prefer a car with a lockable trunk, don't buy a Prius where everything that should be in the trunk is in the car with you. We owned a 2002 Prius for almost 10 years before buying the current 2012 model. It was quieter, more maneuverable, and more like a real car. The gas mileage on the 2012 model is better, but that doesn't make up for the other shortcomings of the 2012.

I will always own a Prius
By Johnny Wang

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback Three 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought my 2012 in 2011 brand new to replace an Infiniti G35. Was tired of wasting $350 in premium gas each month with all the driving that I do. My brother convinced me to get a Prius so I figured I would give it a try. I am hooked. It is a wonderful feeling to know you can go anywhere you want and gas will never be an excuse not to go. The car has really held up through all the miles and 4 minor accidents I was involved in. I took a look at the brake pads at 115,000 miles and they were only worn down halfway. That's ridiculous. My G35 needed new brakes every 60k miles. All I do is change the oil & filter after 10k miles. Gas it up and go. Tires cost me about $260 every 3 years. I also take my Prius up to the mountains for snowboarding. I have studded tires and my car can pretty much go everywhere the Subaru's and SUV's go. Have not had any issues with the battery pack but I already set aside $1500 from the gas savings over the last 6 years to replace it with a remanufactured one when it does fail. Everything still works on the car like brand new, the only things I have replaced are the headlight bulbs. I will always have a Prius. They are pretty much bulletproof.

A nice surprise after having a XLE Camry
By Ev

We had 12 years with our Camry and loved it. This car was purchased as a result of totaling the Camry. Smaller but a very good step over from the Camry. The fuel economy is very satisfying. If I am gentle on the throttle I can frequently see mpg in the low 60s, We are currently being tempted to upgrade 5 years worth and try a new one. We have over 93K miles on our's with not a lick of problems, just routine maintanence. We highly recommend this vehicle.

Great car in town or long haul
By Duncan Beardsley

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback One 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We loved the mileage - 30,000 miles average 42.7 miles to the gallon on regular. We hadn't anticipated that we would take it on long trips, but have ended up doing so as the car operates so efficiently. We had been told it didn't have any acceleration when getting on a freeway. Not True. He have never felt that there wasn't additional power when we asked for it. Finally with the fold down back seats we have been able to transport all sorts of things that we hadn't expected would fit.