Used 2001 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (56 reviews )

Soon to be in a Junkyard
By Kendall

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my first car, as a teenager. I don't find that the car in general is horrible. I feel, my specific car is terrible. I had to purchase a battery pack to get this thing to go on a regular basis. If I hadn't it wouldn't start. As a teenager, it took me many hours to be able to buy this hunk of junk for 2500. I have had this car for about 3 weeks and it died on me today. I can't express the frustration I am feeling right now. I was scammed by a dealership into buying a car that wouldn't even last me a month-- ridiculous. The dealership even lowered the odometer, so I'm not even sure exactly how many miles is on it. The car is missing a cd player, and the battery is in the trunk in a very poor spot-- making it hard to jump the car. Overall, I am extremely peeved about my 2001 Toyota Prius.

It just keeps going & going
By Greg Tyner

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I will make this short and sweet. I think I was the first person in Memphis to own a Prius in Dec of 2000. Oil, gas and tires, oh and a 12 volt battery. On that day in 2013 the traction battery went out. Just over 180,000 miles. My local auto mechanic pulled out the battery, then me and dad made a day trip and took it to a guy in the Carolinas that refurbishes them. We traded batteries and came home, plugged it in, and going strong again. Now over 200,000 car still looks great, Mom drives it now. Under $1700 for the battery swap and installation. Going to take it in and get timing belt replaced, just in case.

Not worth it
By photo123

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

To buy a new hybrid is OK if parts are under warranty.
It seems that the HV battery (High Voltage batter) at a cost of $4000.00 installed dies after 8 years and around 150,000km .
Just when the warranty dies.
Hmmmm!!
The car is nice to drive, but, so is a Elantra and the Elantra is way more reliable and coat effective to fix for the same year.
Then there is the converter!!! Another $4000.00!!
Please read carefully the reports about the 1 gen Prius.
The HV battery will go on you and they were a poor quality.
If you are buying a Prius to save the planet, forget it!
The cost and consumables related to keeping it going including maintenance and repairs will far out weigh the savings.

Decent car
By norcal prius

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this car at 75K miles, now have 115K miles on it. During this time, all the car has needed is gas, tires and oil changes. Only problem encountered is when I start the car, if I have the AC or Defrost on high, the gas engine sometimes conks out and I get the "triangle" warning. I turn off the car, wait a minute and then it is fine, triangle is gone.

MPG display. Low brake wear, creeping up on people w/ the electric motor on.

Not sure what the problem above means. A little scared to find out. Other than that, the center arm rest is way too low, nowhere to rest my right arm. No where comfortable to rest my left arm either. Since it is FWD, there is no where to rest my right leg on while driving either. Improve comfort.

The lIttle Prius that Could
By MikeyA

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife and I bought our 2001 Prius in December of 2009 knowing we were buying a car with 90K miles on it. It now has 130K on and it running great with few problems at all. It's far more reliable and cheaper to repair than the BMW we sold to buy it. Of course the quality of the plastics inside the car leave a lot to be desired, I guess you can't expect too much for the price of these cars. The hybrid part is really great but I hope they've improved "kicking" the engine does when it turns on at a stop. It's very abrupt.

Pretty good MPG (we average around 40) and the seating position is actually very good for a car like this. Although sitting in it reminds me of the old AMC Pacer with its fish bowl windows.

1) Cup Holders, what is up with that! 2) Lumbar Support - not much there. 3) The shifter for this car is just about 9 out of 10 on my weird o'meter scale. It blocks radio controls and is just poorly placed. 4) Gas Gauge! wow, don't rely on this (as others have said) go 300 miles,