Used 1997 Toyota Previa Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Previa Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Previa model:

great vehicle, Toyota best design ever. thank you
By Ricardo

1997 Toyota Previa LE 3dr Minivan

there is no way back, enjoy what you have .

my 4th previa, best van ever made!
By matt

1997 Toyota Previa LE All-Trac 3dr Minivan AWD

1st 95 went over 300k before being totalled by a truck running a red light. Walked away with no injuries. 2nd 95 le supercharged going strong at 155k. Just routine maintenance. Bought a 96 dx with 68 k, like new on inside. Middle bench removes in 2 minutes, easy to haul things. 95s had the great swiveling middle captain chairs. Could not resist a 1 owner 97 sc alltrac LE with 80k that I spotted on craigslist, talk about awesome in the snow! These are fantastic, reliable vans and the best used van value ever. Use as an enclosed pickup, or convert to a mini RV, loads of space inside. Easy to fix minor quirks like higher mileage valve cover gasket leaks, coolant reservoir outlet tube obstruction by debris, SADS bushing replacement, etc.

Mom's Taxi Babies Ride
By Joel G

1997 Toyota Previa LE 3dr Minivan

Sold 86 Toyota Van 285K miles to be replaced with 97 Previa with 1st baby coming in Jun. Perfect to carry 2nd kid in 99. Also carried Mom, Dad, Father-in-law to doctor's appt. Use mostly for reserve weekend duty. Did not change remote bat 6 yrs later. Did reg maint oil/filter chg every 3K. Used in business for 6 yrs as modified pick up truck by removing middle seat & folding 3rd row. Kids love this because they can lie down and sleep and watch tv. Our kids and parents in their 80s enjoyed trips to NY, VA, FL, LA, GA, TN, SC, NC, AL, TX, MA, CO. With this economy we are glad to have Toyotas in our family. Camry 02 replaced 88 Celica. Convinced five younger brothers to get Toyotas. They did.

Flexible enough to take to Camp Lejeune NC for 6 years every Easter for military training.

Make a new version of the Previa. Coolant reservoir to radiator needs to be metal not heavy duty plastic. 4 cyl LE SC with 28 mpg will be a Great Buy for my next upgrade. Please hurry.

My Favorite Van Ever
By Dennis

1997 Toyota Previa LE All-Trac 3dr Minivan AWD

I have owned lots of vans, and the Previa is far and away the best van I have ever owned. Build quality is unbelievable (it's a Toyota, stupid), handling is exemplary with the mid- engine and AWD. Fuel mileage is 19 mpg around town, with up to 24 on the highway. I'm a Toyota salesman, and I sold this van new to an engineer and bought it from the family after he passed away. I constantly am amazed with the number of people who ask me if I want to sell it. Never is a hundred years.

Handling

Best Minivan ever
By Alf Skrastins

1997 Toyota Previa LE All-Trac 3dr Minivan AWD

My 1997 AWD Previa is the third one that I have owned. I previously had a 1991 and a 1994. All three have been completely trouble free, for a total of over 620K mi. The supercharger gives the 2.4 litre engine the punch of a V6, while delivering great gas mileage. I've been searching for a replacement for 5 years, but nothing made these days even comes close. The Sienna is too long, fat, low and is just not as much fun. If Toyota ever made a reasonable replacement for the Previa, I would buy it in an instance.

Supercharged mid-engine design AWD with reasonable clearance plus a car-like ride. Super well thought out interior with flip up rear seats and swiveling middle seats.

Just make them again. A hybrid version would be great.