Used 2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MR2 Spyder model:

I love this car!
By Pam Singer

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is simple, just the way it should be. I've upgraded the stereo w/added speakers & amp, upgraded the top to cloth w/glass rear window. Engine is strong and efficient, new tires and rims, front & rear tires are diff. sizes. Have luggage made to fit both the lockers and front 'trunk' well, plus garment bag can rest under front hood. Perfect for weekend getaways for 2. Fun, exciting, joy to drive and inexpensive to maintain. Change oil every 3000 miles since it revs high. It's a Toyota - no headaches! Celica engine.

A real toy
By John Robertson

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Just like a go cart. You feel everything and it is peppy. No storage, but who cares. it is just fun. Have had it over a year now and keep looking at higher priced cars, but haven't found anything I like better. A lot of fun and very reliable.

Still looking for a better fun car, but have not found anything as fun to drive as my MR2

Bucket List
By Patrick Goungo

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Great for reducing years off your life. Revising my review of my MR2, I like to say that, I bought it, enjoyed it and doubled my investment on a recent sale of the car.

2002 MR2 Spyder =D
By Daniel Fano

Hey viewers,

I have owned this car for about 4 months now and I am extremely please with it. I am comparing this to my my00 Honda S2000. Both are great cars, MR2 lacks power, but makes up for it in the braking (super lightweight) and handling with the MR layout.

Pros:
very fuel efficient
Handles very well
Super lightweight
Great autox and track car
Relatively cheap for maintenance and Toyota reliability

Cons:
Cargo space, literally does not have any. (No trunk or frunk, as some say, and the cargo space behind the seats is a joke
Could use a little more power. Maybe like 20-30 more hp and 10-20 more ft lb of torque.

Awesome Car!!!

Just bought an MR2 a few months ago! BEST desicion i ever made
By dapersian

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I needed a car that could handle the Utah winters but was fun to drive in the summer. I needed a car that would give me great gas with great reliability. Out of all the roadsters i researched, I found the MR2 Spyder to be the choice for me. The engine located right above the rear tires would allow
better traction in the winters. The 1.8 L engine would allow great gas mileage. With the MR2 being build by Toyota, reliability was never a concern.

I am a 5 '5 very stocky guy and i fit in it just fine! If you want a car that is designed for comfort, buy a luxury car. The MR2 was not built for comfort, it was built to rip up canyon roads while looking extraordinarily sexy!!

Gas mileage! averaging 35-40. Easy drop top. can be done at a stop light. Handling is amazing. This thing was built for taking corners, at any speed. The sleek design gets the looks, from everyone.

1st gear red lines around 15 mph.(5 speed man) Engine that allows higher rpm than 6500.