Used 2008 Toyota Matrix Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Matrix Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

A "Bulletproof" Automobile
By Dan Niemiec

2008 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I own a 2008 Matrix XR. I've owned it since 2011. It had 85,000 miles on it when I bought it and now has 155,000. It has been a VERY reliable automobile. It's also easy to change your own plugs, air filter and cabin filter. I have not had a mechanical problem with the car. It is not impressive in mid-gear but the car does have a decent 1st gear and at 80mph in overdrive, the engine is at 3,000rpm. It drives and handles well with good braking. Outside visibility is excellent, A/C keeps people cool in hot SoCal summers. Hatchback feature is great-fold the rear seats forward and you have extra storage room. I can put my mountain bike in the car with the rear seats folded forward. Front legroom is very good, bucket seats have enough side bolster for tight cornering at speed. Only wishes would be for a 2.4L, 4 cylinder engine (mine has a 1.8L) and a sun-roof. In short, reliability and ease of maintenance makes this car "Bulletproof".

Toyota Matrix - GREAT CAR !
By Edie Simone

2008 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2008 used in 2010 because it seemed better designed than the new model (ie, better visibility). I added some sun blocking measures to the windows and doors because, even though the higher windshield made for a vast view, it meant the sun was often in my eyes. It has great interior cargo space. I've carried a refrigerator, a couch, even a redwood tree in the back. I've had almost no repair costs, except regular maintenance. My mechanics are impressed. It hugs the road and has sufficient pick-up. I consistently get 29-34 mpg. The ride is comfortable for a small vehicle. It's not smooth and silent like a luxury car or a large SUV, but my passengers and I are always comfortable. I almost bought a friend's Prius a few months ago, but realized I didn't want to give up my Matrix. It now has almost 100K miles and I expect it to last another 100K to 150K like my last Toyota.

Cheap and reliable but uncomfortable and sketchy
By Shelby

2008 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I was so excited to purchase my 08 Matrix after driving my 01 accord into the ground. At first the new car element was amazing, however after driving it daily for almost a year, I have learned to spite this car. I'm a born and raised yooper girl, so before anyone says anything about my inexperience with driving in poor conditions, wrong. My honda accord drove much better. The wind takes this car into other lanes and into the medians without a second thought. Snow is my worst enemy. Even with good tires and a fresh alignment. The car is light and squirrely, not to mention the road noise is loud. I miss my honda every single day. The gas tank is ridiculously small, although the mileage is good. As long as you dont have to go far. My only other cosmetic complaint is the wiper lever is in a bad spot , and I hit it constantly. But as far as reliability, yes, I trust it through and through, but if you prefer white knuckling your long commutes, or being a butterfly in a hurricane, this is the car for you. Space wise, I love the plastic backs to the seat so my dogs have room in the back. The hatch back is convenient and I love the option to open the glass door or the entire hatch. I love Toyota, but i won't ever buy another matrix. A 4runner is in my future

Great car!
By E T

2008 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Best smaller sport utility car for the money.

Matrix Fan
By Eric B.

2008 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I'm 6'3" 240lbs and this car fits me very well shockingly. I have Arthritis in my knees so leg room is important for me, the matrix fits me perfect. I needed good gas mileage and storage to take IT equipment to and from clients. The Matrix fit the bill. My only down side I can live with is lack of any power. The 1.8L 1ZZ-FE motor will have to downshift two gears on the highway going up hills. The noise in the cabin on a scale of 1 thru 10 (1 being a Cadillac and 10 being a 747 spooling up), the matrix is a solid 5. Not horrible but definitely no money was invested in sound deadening materials in it. Rip your door panels of and add dynomat. sound insulation (adds weight but turns the car into a solid 2 :)

Mine is the 2008 Matrix Base. I was shocked anti-lock brakes were optional on this year. The ride is nice for the class the car is in. I love it over all.