Used 2001 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Great SUV until the brakes failed
By Carol J.

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I owned my Highlander for 10 years. I bought her used from a dealer in San Jose, CA in 2005. She drove just like a new vehicle. I loved driving her, took on trips to CA, WA, Portland, Idaho. She was a great vehicle until her brakes failed in November of 2015. I hit a parking island on a dark rainy night in an unlit parking lot. When I stepped on the brakes to stop, the vehicle kept going. I hit 2 other vehicles then a tree before she finally stopped. I am grateful for the safety features of the front bumper and crumple zones on the body. I was wearing my seat belt. However, there was no logical explanation for the brake failure. The vehicle had just been serviced the week before, and I had had no squeaking or problems with the brakes. I still suffer pain in my left shoulder and leg from the accident. My insurance company paid my medical bills for a year, but now the cost is on me. My insurance company also later researched the vehicle and found out there was a recall for the master brake cylinder. Toyota Motor Company never notified me of this recall. For anyone buying a Toyota Highlander, I would highly recommend having the brakes checked thoroughly.

2001 Highlander LTD
By david balongue

Overall excellent vehicle.

<3 <3 our '01 Highlander
By Pinkie

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Highlander new in 2001, pregnant and it was the easiest for me to get in / out. We've held on to it for our upcoming teen drivers for the safety. The bumpers have a steel bar in them - was rear-ended by a Chevy and it crushed their grill, with little damage to the Highlander. We've had a little maintain recently - however, it's cheaper than a new car with a car payment! Great car for new drivers. . . gives them some room, but gives reliability and safety.

Love the Car, but prepare for Repairs
By Tony

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used in 2010, came with 116,000 miles. I now have put 62,500 miles on the car and now at 178,500. I love the car and I am a second owner.

Pros
It is very spacious, not too big for an SUV but I've been able to pack quite a number of things in the car. The engine is still pretty strong. I've driven it far distance multiple times and haven't had major issues.

Cons
As much as I love the car, I'll admit that the cost of repairs and the type of repairs have gotten me. Grant it, I've had to pay quite the number on getting it repaired, I would say most of it was basically 'wear and tear' I am the 2nd owner and most of the original parts lasted well over 110,000 miles so I've been footing the bill. My a/c went out withing 6 months, had to pay $1,200 to repair. Most recently my altenator went bad, along with this other issue (can't remember) but combined that cost me $1,200 and now I'm paying $1,700 to have my 02 sensors (somethign i've read in reviews that go bad (denso brand)), valve cover gaskets, AND fuel injector replaced. On average i've speant maybe $2,000 or so a year on repairs. And I've also had to have my tired changed twice.

Conclusion
With 178,500 miles on the car and it being 2001, it's probably time i get a new car but I've alreay put so much money in it and have quite the number of new parts in it, but i just don't want to pay monthly for a new car. I will eventually. Godd car and reliable but maybe not worth all the repairs. Most of the cost for repairs they charge high for labor. Always get a carfax or somethign so you're not stuck having to repair alot of parts for a high mileage car

fantastic
By brendan23

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

we have had this car for 13 years and is fantastic.

it is very reliable. can put a lot of things in the back.