Used 1997 Toyota Celica Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Celica

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

190k still going
By ae117

1997 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

Mine is an automatic 1995 toyota celica gt. It even has the original battery and in indiana here is constantly 10 - 20 degrees in the morning and starts everytime. The shocks are starting to go Finally but the engine is still strong as all get out. I can believe how this thing goes. Hoping to buy another one tomorrow.

Engine and the interior for a 95 i like it more then most modern cars.

I was never a fan of the front end looks but i can deal with it since it is an amazing car.

First car!
By swissferdi

1997 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car as a reliable and safe daily driver; before seeing it, I had known nothing about 6GCs, and now I'm pretty much obsessed. Handling is crisp, and the car's lightness is really apparent in braking, lane-change, and general handling capabilities. As long as you don't test the 7A-FE too much, it's a really fun car to drive that'll return some pretty good MPG (unfortunately, I have the worst combo for power & MPG, an automatic coupled to the least powerful engine). Other than installing a new head unit and speakers, this car is stock, but completely livable. Interior is also great, I love how the center console is angled towards the driver, and the layout is very well thought-out.

Beautiful and well thought-out interior; low weight; sports-car feel (without the balls, sadly); pretty decent MPG; is very comfortable in city or highway; factory fogs; very unique, I could count the number of 6GCs I've seen on two hands.

Toyota screwed up in the power department, the ST just has no guts. But for those with cash lying around, a 3S-GTE is the answer.

own for 8 years
By richie

1997 Toyota Celica ST Limited Edition 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 65,000 miles. Now I've had it for about 8 years and it has 193,000 miles and it never has given me any bad problems other then the starter and cv boots. Overall I enjoy this car.

The exterior is awesome looks like a small Supra.

More power in the 1.8.

Excellent convertible
By thompson

1997 Toyota Celica GT Limited Edition 2dr Convertible

It's a well-designed car, and after 10 years it still attracts positive comments from other motorists. The car continues to perform well. We've driven it in Connecticut winters, and it handles well in snowy weather and with its well-lined top and good heater stays comfortable. Of course, it's always great in warm weather -- it now resides in California.

Styling. It's a convertible. It runs well.

My Blk 97 Celica ST
By Ohio Celica

1997 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Hatchback

This was has been really great car. It hasn't given me any problems and it very reliable. I still get 400-500 miles on a tank of gas. The only isssues were with a repair on the body which is starting to rust. This is not the fault of the car, but the repair shop. I still get a lot of compliments on the way the car looks. I'm planning on buying a new car soon and giving this one to my nephew for college. Will be sorry to see it go, but I know it will serve him well during his college years.

The interior is really nice, everything is in arms reach. Handles really well, the great gas milage and the dependibility. The size of the hatch when the seats are folded down.

Cup holder is in a bad location and wished it had more power.