2018 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 223 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Toyota went overboard on the "sporty" design
By Charles R.

2018 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 8A)

Although a bit slow on acceleration, the car handles superbly. As usual, the Camry has the tightest turning radius in its class. City mileage is so-so, around 23-24 mpg, but the highway mileage is spectacular. Using cruise control at around 70 mph on the freeway, my mileage is around 50 mpg. (This is not based only on the control panel readout, but also on subsequent fill-ups at the gas station.) The main downside is Toyota's attempt to be sporty. It is a little difficult getting in and out of the car, and the driver's seat sits low relative to the hood. It also would be nice to have more headroom, as I come within 2 inches of the roof when I am sitting sufficiently high up to see most of the hood in front of me. The left and right sides of the front seats also curve up to sharply, especially if one's butt is not as narrow as one would like. I feel more comfortable in the front seats of my wife's 2017 Corolla than in my 2018 Camry.

Give Me the Old Camry's Back!!
By kris

2018 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

I had high hopes for this car but was quickly disillusioned. First off, the low stance and then you can't see to park because of the hood design. The constant beeping is annoying, it beeps for everything, even icy roads, when they are not icy. I agree with Mr Rowan's review, I have that same noise by the drivers side mirror, usually when I go at least 40 mph. I think its the wind hitting the grill, but Toyota had it for a week and could not figure out what it was. So now I just turn of the radio to mask the noise. My other major complaint is the fact when its raining, and the car is going over puddles, it drags the car a bit, like you are hydroplaning. Didn't they realize this would happen when they redesigned the car? I do like that the car brakes itself, for instance when I am backing up and I can't see who is coming around the corner. This car has too many bells and whistles, sits too low and has this noise now that won't go away.

Great Upgrade for Toyota, Transmission Notchy
By Randy

2018 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 8A)

We had a 2011 Prius for the last 6 years and decided to check out the new cars. The Prius has been flawless. The Toyota dealer gave us a great deal on a new Camry in April, so we decided to sell the Prius and get the Camry. The gas mileage has been great, getting 41 or 42 mpg on a trip, all highway miles doing 75mph steady. We usually average around 35 with mainly in town use. I really regretted buying it until recently because of the transmission. Sometimes when you are stopped or nearly stopped and you suddenly accelerate to get into traffic, there's nothing there. It seems to be stuck in a higher gear, VERY frustrating. I got used to having to pull the transmission lever over into manual position in case it didn't shift into a lower gear to force it into a lower gear when accelerating from a stop or near stop. I recently talked to a salesmen at a new car show and discussed the problem I have been having. He said that the computer controlling the transmission learns your driving habits and responds to that, and he said to drive more aggressively. I started doing that immediately, and have not had that problem since. I don't "hot rod" it at all, just accelerate more quickly and the car responds so much better. Have not had the problem with it not responding from a stop either. The gas mileage hasn't seemed to change much since driving that way, maybe 1 or 2 mpg less. I think that driving a Prius for the last several years made me drive the Camry that way, but by doing that it tries to save gas by shifting into the higher gears to make it more economical, you can't do that. Overall a great car, but still miss the Prius some. Hate the new Prius body style since 2016, so won't buy one of those again unless they make them look more like a regular vehicle..

TOYOTA IS LOSING IT
By robert powell

2018 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 8A)

I have owned several Toyotas over the past 40 years. They have gotten progressivley worse. They used to be the best. My dealer: Mark Jacobsen Toyota in Durham NC. I purchased an almost new Camry. The key FOBS failed the first day. The dealer refused to replace them. New FOBS are only available at a dealer. This is my last TOYOTA. I would suggest a Subaru or Honda if you must have Japanese car. There are several other nagging shortcomings this 2012 car had versus my preivous cars. I can tell a trend when I see it.....

Disappointed..
By Madeline

2018 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 8A)

I was very excited for this vehicle and I have mostly loved this vehicle up until about two weeks ago.. I have had some issues with the car taking extra time to accelerate, and a few other issues like my phone not connecting to bluetooth or my contact pictures showing up for the wrong people when I make calls from my favorites list. I considered these issues minor because I love the look of the car, it mostly drives smoothly, and it is great on gas. However, about two weeks ago I headed up to the dealership for a routine vehicle service and on the way up there one of my tires burst! Mind you, I bought this car brand new near the end of August and this was in October. The dealership kept telling me it was my fault, and that I had hit something which caused the tire to burst. Then, they told me one of my other tires was close to bursting too, even though I clearly had not hit something on that one either! $570.00 later, I had two brand new tires on my brand new car and my alignment fixed (somehow was messed up when the tire burst?). When I told my husband what happened at the dealership, he spoke with one of his friends who bought the same model Camry from the same dealership and one of his tires had burst a few weeks before as well! I really want to love this car, but this situation is ridiculous to me. I had only owned used cars before this vehicle, and I never had any issues like this with any other car..