Used 1996 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Rear facing 3rd row seat makes this wagon special!
By Cheryl D.

1996 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Wagon

Kids love the “rumble seat,” as I call the 3rd row, rear facing seat. I love that 2nd & 3rd fold done, giving me a few options for how much cargo space I need! I added keyless entry, remote start and a Bluetooth/Apple Play interface, as well as a rear camera. Other than the keyless entry, I have never had these features before, so I really have a new, old car, which I am thoroughly enjoying! The only thing that I will still need to upgrade is some kind of assist with the lift gate, which is only because I’m disabled and use the hatch to access my walker. If my star rating and feature rating seems incongruous, it’s only because I have only had the car for a short time and haven’t had time to focus on every detail, but I love this car, and ALWAYS LOOK FORWARD TO DRIVING IT! (The Car Detail, ‘select a year’ menu isn’t working for me. I purchased the car in July, 2018)

My experience after 5 years
By Kevin A.

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Bought car out of need. Need car now!! Which causes me to buy it and worry about the questionable stuff later. Paid 800 dollars for it. It had bad break lines, weak battery, rebuilt transmission, and 4 bad window motors and a broken door handle. Paid over 1200 dollars to fix those problems. 2 years later the master cylinder which controls brake fluid went out. Causing the brakes to be useless. Took a month to save money to get that fixed. Couple months go by and the pulley on the drive shaft separated . Harmonic balancer is what its called. Its two pieces connected by rubber. The rubber gets old and will dry up causing it to seperate. So that was the last problem. I am greatful for any car that runs at this point. But you need to Carfax any car. Do not buy a used car based on brand reputation. Some people treat their cars like garbage and you will more often than not Inherit there discarded trash. Save your self a headache and lost money and Carfax before you buy any used car

Will always love my Camry
By Kim

1996 Toyota Camry SE V6 4dr Sedan

If you're looking for a great car this is it. I've had this car for 4 years (bought it off my brother) she has some bumps and scratches, but overall she's a bad MF!!! She has 180,000 miles and still a champ!! I'm gonna miss her when she goes. (Not anytime soon though)

Great Car over all
By Jeff N

1996 Toyota Camry SE V6 2dr Coupe

I Own 2 Toyota Camrys. 1994 Toyota Camry XLE V6 Sedan and a 1996 Toyota Camry SE V6 Coupe, and i am a Master Mechanic. I bought the 94 XLE in 1996 and I bought the SE in 99. Overall impression... I am Impressed with the This V6 Engine.. This is one of Toyotas Strongest Engines. The Transmission is okay since i never had a Issue yet. As of 2017 the 94 XLE has 63K Miles and The SE has 482K Miles on it. I get Amazing Fuel Economy with my 96 SE being almost half a Million Miles, but my 94 XLE Still being like New...is seems Typical for a V6 Fuel Consumption. The Interior is Horrible on both Designs, someone really just wanted simple not fancy. Seats are more comfortable in the XLE But SE feels stiff and basic. Suspension on both cars are Horrible! The XLE and SE Suspension had been Completely Replaced due to Bad Struts, Shocks, Ball Joint, CV Axles.. Ect both Cars Rocked like Boats and Rattled and made allot of Wheel Noise in past. I after fixing the suspension on both cars I went from 15 inch rims to 16 inch rims on XLE and 17 Inch rims on SE. They Should of Upgraded a more Stable Suspension system for more comfort and Stability i believe. I have Re-sealed the 96 SE motor at 224K . THE 94 XLE Valve Covers blew at 53K which got a new intake Manifold gasket, I have replaced the Piston Rings on the 94 Camry when replacing Gasket. I have Near Completely rebuilt 96SE with New piston and rods and resealed the whole motor Along with Reprogramming ECU and Replacing some sensors and Motor Mounts and middle grade to small stuff for tune up, Suspension new AC Condenser. Over all thoughts and impression of Toyota camry.... Its a Typical Car. Its how to Maintain you cars life. You have to have money aside ready for repairs, this is why most people end up junking their car because they feel its more money to repair than what cars worth Estimated Value...Or feeling like the car is becoming a money pit.... In the End.... Its always better to Keep Wrenching your Car.

Thus was my mothers toyata camry!
By Mer

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Fantastic car. If you have one keep ! it it will drive foreva!
96,000. Miles love it!