Used 1996 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 105 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Will always love my Camry
By Kim

1996 Toyota Camry SE V6 4dr Sedan

If you're looking for a great car this is it. I've had this car for 4 years (bought it off my brother) she has some bumps and scratches, but overall she's a bad MF!!! She has 180,000 miles and still a champ!! I'm gonna miss her when she goes. (Not anytime soon though)

Great Car over all
By Jeff N

1996 Toyota Camry SE V6 2dr Coupe

I Own 2 Toyota Camrys. 1994 Toyota Camry XLE V6 Sedan and a 1996 Toyota Camry SE V6 Coupe, and i am a Master Mechanic. I bought the 94 XLE in 1996 and I bought the SE in 99. Overall impression... I am Impressed with the This V6 Engine.. This is one of Toyotas Strongest Engines. The Transmission is okay since i never had a Issue yet. As of 2017 the 94 XLE has 63K Miles and The SE has 482K Miles on it. I get Amazing Fuel Economy with my 96 SE being almost half a Million Miles, but my 94 XLE Still being like New...is seems Typical for a V6 Fuel Consumption. The Interior is Horrible on both Designs, someone really just wanted simple not fancy. Seats are more comfortable in the XLE But SE feels stiff and basic. Suspension on both cars are Horrible! The XLE and SE Suspension had been Completely Replaced due to Bad Struts, Shocks, Ball Joint, CV Axles.. Ect both Cars Rocked like Boats and Rattled and made allot of Wheel Noise in past. I after fixing the suspension on both cars I went from 15 inch rims to 16 inch rims on XLE and 17 Inch rims on SE. They Should of Upgraded a more Stable Suspension system for more comfort and Stability i believe. I have Re-sealed the 96 SE motor at 224K . THE 94 XLE Valve Covers blew at 53K which got a new intake Manifold gasket, I have replaced the Piston Rings on the 94 Camry when replacing Gasket. I have Near Completely rebuilt 96SE with New piston and rods and resealed the whole motor Along with Reprogramming ECU and Replacing some sensors and Motor Mounts and middle grade to small stuff for tune up, Suspension new AC Condenser. Over all thoughts and impression of Toyota camry.... Its a Typical Car. Its how to Maintain you cars life. You have to have money aside ready for repairs, this is why most people end up junking their car because they feel its more money to repair than what cars worth Estimated Value...Or feeling like the car is becoming a money pit.... In the End.... Its always better to Keep Wrenching your Car.

Thus was my mothers toyata camry!
By Mer

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Fantastic car. If you have one keep ! it it will drive foreva!
96,000. Miles love it!

1996 and still LOVE my Camry Collector Edition!!
By Linda S.

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this baby in '98 and have loved her ever since! 195,000 miles and still runs and looks great. Trying to find a replacement car as I would like to get better gas milage. Everytime I get gas I check the mpg and in 25/75 (city/hwy) have averaged 21.5 mpg. For the past 3 tanks I've used premium and averaged 25 mpg. I don't see the newer, comparable cars getting much better. I love that this car has given me no problems. Every car has things needing replacement as they wear out, but I haven't been plagued by things going wrong over and over. Only glich is that if you leave the headlights on for 10 minutes the battery goes dead. It's not the battery as it does it with new batteries, too. I can live with this... Excelleration is smooth and so is the ride. I like having lots of power when I need it. 60/40 split back seat is great! Many new cars are not offering this anymore. Because this is the Collector Editon, it comes with the Lexus Pearl White paint with Silver bumpers and it has held up and still looks new! Interior has leather seats, wood grain trim and upgraded stereo, Cassette/Tape player with 6 speakers. Toyota really produced a fantastic car with this one. Was considering a Nissan Altima as a replacement until I heard there are lots of problems with the CVT transmissions! So far, have not found a car that I like well enought to replace this Camry. Will keep her for now...

Awesome