Used 1995 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 102 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Great car even for its age
By Steve

1995 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

This was a great car. My parents bought it new in 1995. It had ample power (V6) and good fuel economy. I recall 22 mpg city and 29 mpg highway. It needed a new timing belt every 60,000 miles. As it aged it needed periodic repairs. Once I had the head gasket repaired. It occasionally needed axle boots. And some other function needed repair. But it was very comfortable to drive, had good visibility, and I thought the repairs were warranted for its age. I sold it at 189,600 miles. It was driving fine. I could just as well have kept it.

This car is forever
By Linda

1995 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Wagon

I bought my Camry station wagon in 2002, when the car was 7 years old, and now it has about 208,000 miles on it. It's the ONLY reliable car I've ever owned. I own a small business, and after my having removed the rear seat cushions, the cargo space was huge. Has needed standard repairs and replacements, but some were to replace parts that have lasted 21 years!

I had planned to keep it another 10 years, but it got totaled recently. The loss was huge to me. She had no book value, but the reliability of a Camry is priceless. If you're not concerned about resale value, I would think you can keep a Camry running forever.

I was getting about 21 city/32 highway, due to my carrying a huge load of heavy tools and building materials, not any fault of the car.

21 and still going!
By Rochelle

1995 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Wagon

I bought my wagon at the age of 7, with 97,000 miles on it. It was the only reliable car I've ever had. Sure it needed repairs, but it never left me in a lurch anywhere. And I never had to replace the same part twice, except for tires .Some of the parts I replaced recently were still OEM parts. Now it has 208,000 miles, and I would have kept her another ten years, but I totaled her last month. They stopped making the wagon in 1996, so here will never be another like her. But I still see them on the road. From the technology point of view, nothing was digital except the radio, and she came with a cassette player, but at that time, most of my music was still on cassette. The other controls are simple and easy to figure out.

1995 Toyota Camry 4 cyl
By agf

1995 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for $3500 cash when it had about 80K miles on it. I have put $100K+miles on it over the years. I keep all repair receipts. Over the past 2 years I have probably sunk $1000 a year into maintenance/repairs, mostly maintenance - tires, decided to paint, timing belt, struts, new radiator etc. The AC and heat are amazing, rear defrost amazing, reliability not perfect but pretty great. No complaints. I have noticed lately when accelerating the automatic tranny hesitates around 45 MPH- I do not gun it, I barely let off the gas a bit and it shifts fine. I heard this from another long time owner, who did the same thing. Comparing to a car payment, this car is very inexpensive- low tag registration due to it's age and much lower car insurance as well. Unless you need a fancy car for clientele, this engine and body type are are excellent mode of transportation- point A point B- that is what a car is for. I do not travel for a living, but have taken long trips in this car- I am small and love the ride- it is more squarish so I can see out easily. My husband is large and tall and does not think it is all that comfortable for his long legs. Overall a smashing great car!

Pure Drive For Years
By Reid Hardy

1995 Toyota Camry DX 4dr Sedan

To this day my 1995 Toyota Camry zips me from place to place with absolute joy. This car just wants to be on the road and it truly does feel at home. The suspension articulates every detail of surface to your hands allowing you to truly understand what is happening. If the ride is rough then you're driving somewhere the Camry doesn't want to go. With this being said, I have indulged in a little dirt road rallying and the suspension is tremendous for handling. There is a true feeling of being glued to what ever you are gliding across. In tarmac situation there is just enough roll to make you avoid pushing the car to hard, but since it has a 5 year old child's center of gravity, you really have to be pushing it to begin to feel this. I have the front wheel drive 4 cylinder LE model with a V6 version available, but I have never felt under powered in this car, of course you will not be beating anyone off the line. The automatic transmission is solid 90% of the time. It is alittle sluggish. The steering is light and responsive yet I would say it causes a slight disconnect with the drive, like you would be able to throw the car into a barrel roll while steering with on finger. While for day to day driving this feature is wonderful, the lack of feedback from the steering will allow you to over steer if not concentrating on where the traction is. Throttle is very responsive and breaking is wonderful until you really need them. The AntiLock system loves to engage at opportunities when a fast controlled stop would be possible, so in emergency situations go ahead and floor to avoid having the antilock system pulse you right into the back of someone. High MPG and a decent tank makes this perfect for commuting. Features are not the plentiful, but instead of having a billion buttons that do little, every knob produces a noticeable outcome. A/C is one of the quickest I have ever experienced. After sitting in 90 degree Georgia heat it will be blowing cold after about 30 seconds of running, something most new cars can't manage to do. Wiper controls aren't perfect. either a little too slow or a little to slow, but this is only for the pickiest of wet weather trekkers. Comfortable interior with lots of room despite the size. Having the steering wheel block the gauges when in the perfect driving position has been the only real issue for me. The beautiful thing about this car is first impression is the lasting image you are given. It feels the same as the first day I drove it which I assume varied little from when it drove off the assembly line. I've had no mechanical issues and see nothing happening anytime soon, as is the story for many Toyota of this time. I promise that if you enjoy the test drive then you will enjoy the car as long as you own it.