2021 Tesla Model Y Consumer Reviews

Compare dealer price quotes
Select your model:
What should I pay

Pros
Cons
4 out of 5 stars

Try the Model Y

Dale, 04/19/2021
Performance 4dr SUV AWD (electric DD)

Overall we love our Model Y Performance. The handling and performance are absolutely excellent. It is exhilarating to drive each and every trip. The front seats have copious adjustments and are very comfortable. We have had no returns to the dealer for problems in the 9,000 miles we have owned our Tesla. People stop and want to chat about our Model Y all the time. Any discount off the factory MSRP is unlikely. Factory fit and finish do not match most other vehicles. There will be a learning curve. Adjusting most car functions on a computer screen is a new experience Driving it on the mostly flat interstates of the midwest gives us a comfortable, realistic range of 225 miles - far short of the claimed 303 miles. Use the range metric of about 26 miles per 10% of battery energy to plan your recharge points. Around town, hilly or slow-speed driving may give you closer to 30 miles per 10% of battery energy. When reaching the risky limit of about 260 miles, you better be at the charging station. Our Model Y Performance came with "summer tires." That means you really do not want to drive in ice or snow and/or temperatures much below freezing. Trust me. Park it until Spring or change to seasonal tires. Installing mud flaps and applying the accessory plastic protectors on the front curve of the rear fenders is recommended. I also paid to have a plastic rap professionally installed over the entire front bumper. That flatish nose is an inevitable target for bugs and other road debris. There are three general battery recharge options: 1. Tesla dedicated "Superchargers", other commercial chargers and home charging. It appears that Tesla dedicated Superchargers are generally placed at convenient intervals near interstate highways.This is the best option for quicker recharges. In my experience, I have never had to wait in line to plug-in. However it is feared that this may change when the need created by large sales of electric vehicles exceeds the supply of public recharge stations. 2. Other commercial chargers may or may not be Tesla friendly - check ahead to see if you have or need the correct adapters. Not all of these stations are open to the public. 3. Home charging options can be selected based upon your individual pleasure. I skipped the rather expensive Tesla home charging station (maybe $2,000 installed) in favor of plugging in to a regular 120volt/15amp outlet. However this route does make for lengthy recharge times - like Friday evening to Monday morning for a 0 to 100% charge. I have it plugged in all the time. If you are not parking in a garage, recharging at work or live in an apartment, running an extension cord from an outdoor outlet to your vehicle may be inconvenient. I carry an extension cord with me - just in case. Note that maintaining your electric vehicle battery at or near full charge is no more necessary than neurotically keeping the fuel tank in your gasoline car full. Should you be unlucky enough to experience a breakdown, such as exhausting the the battery or getting a flat tire, you will need to contact Tesla Road Assistance for rescue via the car's computer or your mobile phone. This service is available for the four years of factory warranty. For those drivers not experienced with a high-performance vehicle, prudence may suggest reducing power from "sport" to "chill" on the control menu until mastery is achieved. Inexperience in this really fast vehicle can lead to a really bad outcome.

The Tesla I always wanted

JRS, 02/02/2021
Long Range 4dr SUV AWD (electric DD)

Don't get me wrong--I loved my 2018 Tesla 3 with dual motors and long range. It was a joy to drive. Unlimited torque, hugged the road and quietly ate up the miles. That said, I had hesitation buying a sedan. I live in the country with dirt roads, harsh winters and a big dog. Had there been a cross over Tesla in 2018 I might have bought it. Now the model Y comes along. I test drove a friends and loved it and traded in my 2018 Model 3 for a 2021 long range dual motor Model Y. This is the Tesla I always wanted. Taller and higher seating position. Tight road hugging driving perhaps a tad less than the Model 3. Quiet, excellent road handling with the feel of a luxury car but oh so quiet. Terrific torque and acceleration almost as good as the Model 3. Outstanding rear cargo room big enough for the dog and a lot of other stuff. In summary I love it. As an added bonus it is much easier to get in and out of which is a much more pleasing experience for your passengers.

Redefined the automobile

Kevin M, 03/29/2021
Long Range 4dr SUV AWD (electric DD)

This is an amazing car... top in performance, economy and safety. I have owned the car for a week and I am discovering more and more to love about the way it drives. It feels like it is attached to the road, so solid. The acceleration, even with my non-performance version, puts a smile on my face and gives me an incredible feeling of satisfaction when I leave every stop light. This is a 7-seat, family SUV that accelerates as fast as the 12 MPG BMW 840i M-Sport. The sound system is the best that I have experienced in a car... solid bass and immersive sensation from the multitude of speakers. There were no panel gaps or paint issues, the interior is perfect and not a rattle to be heard. The build quality is exceptional. The order and delivery process was such a refreshing experience, without one pushy dealer trying to sell me undercoating, credit life insurance, extended warranty or some other useless dealer add on. No oil changes, no brake jobs (for a long time) and most of all no more waiting in line to pump gas every week. I cannot wait to take a road trip and really give the Navigate on Autopilot a real test.

5 out of 5 stars

Best car I have ever owned

electrolux, 03/30/2021
Long Range 4dr SUV AWD (electric DD)

I have owned lots of different makes of vehicles. The technology and drive experience in the Model Y is second to none. The seats are the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. I have only been getting about 280 miles of range in my normal driving but superchargers are plentiful and reliable.

What a nice car

Tom, 05/23/2021
Long Range 4dr SUV AWD (electric DD)

From a dud of a BMW X5 to a car that we both truly love to drive. Under a Cdn tax adjustment all-electric vehicles used for business purposes can be depreciated by $50,000 in the first year. We saved that in taxes right away. With premium gas going for over $1.50 a litre the fuel saving is huge. With a busy household, fridges and freezer, the added electricity use is invisible. The $600 Tesla charger was installed in about 3 hours by our electrician, no sweat, $750 including cable and breaker. We have an existing 200 amp panel. The car charges overnight when needed. The smartphones are the keys. The touch screen was gotten used to in minutes, without the 23 yr olds help. If I can do it anyone can. Bought in December we immediately got snow tires. Due to the crappy local roads we went with 18 inch rims for more cushioning, the ride is somewhat firm anyway so a bit smoother with more rubber. Fit and finish problems appear to be a thing of the past, our car is as well put together as the neighbours 2 Subarus, we havent bothered to nit pick as it doesnt seem to warrant the time. Its well laid out, we love the minimalist styling, the cargo space is huge, certainly enough for most real estate staging. Front and back seats have lots of room. 200 km in mid winter -25 with full load, 3 adults and their skiis, clothing, food, cat, etc, uses about 50% of a charge.. 88% to 38%. Lots left at the end to run around then hit the Supercharger at the grocery store. 40 minute charge is about what it takes to get around the market. Range drops in the cold no question but you shouldnt be driving if you cant figure that out. My Volvo goes from summer 500km to winter 350 km per tank range so its not unknown to vary. More acceleration than we will ever use. Nice smooth linear power delivery.. so much nicer than a fossil car. 8000 km and no services yet, I suppose it will tell us if needed. The previous x5 had been in the shop twice by then. We highly recommend this vehicle for a family. Two friends have Model 3s with similar experiences.