2017 Tesla Model S Sedan Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Tesla Model S Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Model S model:

100D 2018
By Julie

2017 Tesla Model S Sedan 100D 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

Originally, I was waiting for the model 3 to save money but didn’t want to wait any longer after my lease was up. Living outside of Detroit, I expected people to be upset that I didn’t get something from GM, Ford or Chrysler. This car is unbelievable and I tell people about it all the time. Last year, I had a 60D and someone hit me driving at 45 mph. The car is a tank, I walked out of my car without any injury. There was some damage to the car of course but wouldn’t get a different car. It amazes me every time I sit in it. There are constant updates to make things better. It’s performance is great. My husband will smile when he hops in to take it out instead of his truck.

Unbelievably superb car and loads of fun.
By Richard from Arkansas

2017 Tesla Model S Sedan 90D 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

The car is not cheap but with gas savings and the $7500 tax credit it gets much better. This car is a real testament to practical technology. During the year we have had the car we have received several updates that added thousands of dollars worth of "accessories" that would have to be purchased upfront with other vehicles. When new technology is available it is simply sent with an over the air update. My wife and I both love the car and thoroughly enjoy the totally different driving experience from an ICE (internal combustion engine) car. The one petal driving (because of regenerative breaking) and the true sports car handling are truly exceptional. The car (ours is a 90D) is blazing fast (zero to 60 in appx. 3.7 or 8 seconds). We like this car far better than any we have ever owned including Lexus, Infinity, Audi and Cadillac. Due for its first annual inspection in a few weeks and so far we have had zero problems (as well as emissions). Never having to stop for gas is a real pleasure - we just "fill up" at home with a few hours of charging and the next morning we have a "full tank". Someone once said, "If you can't afford a Tesla don't drive one, it will ruin your life. :) Highly recommended.

Must Read Owner Review
By Spandan

2017 Tesla Model S Sedan 90D 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

The car was great when it was new. Just in 6 months the problems started with the mechanical and electronics.they were addressed several times and the service did not take care of them. They rather reply you back telling “we have not seen it. “ Meaning you are lying. The issue still exists. I have a maintenance plan but the vehicle was never taken care correctly. I had the issue with the central console right from the first service and was never adresssed. Finally it shut down excately after my 4 the service and now they say I have to pay for it because I am out of warrenty. They make you pay for the service and maintenance plans but the service is not at all justified. I have spend $150K on the care so far. It’s great as long as it runs with no issue. But running with no issues is impossible. I might spend so much on the care to drive it for 8+ years and now driving it for 2 years had been literally miserable. My order for Model 3 is in progress and now I am cancelling them also. I feel bad that I have referee many of my friends and now they have the same bad experience. The cost and maintenance of my P90D is more that BMW 7 series and Mercedes S Class. This is spending more money rather that saving. This review is coming after I have talked to several owners. The car was behaving weird and I was scared to drive it after after a week of my recent service.i had it in drive mode and it just reversed and hit the garage. The console was shut down and Tesla says they see that I reversed and hit the garage. This car is not reliable and not safe at all when it malfunctions like this. And you have to spend money to get this fixed.

Tesla Model S AWESOME
By Thadd Jennings

2017 Tesla Model S Sedan 90D 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

I never thought I would be buying a Tesla. My business partner bought a Model P 100d. It was the fastest car I have ever been in. I have 2 Porsches and they are both turbos. To say thwart, I was impressed. I went and test drove a Tesla and bought one the next week! I love not having to buy gas!

"Range Anxiety" is the rule of the day
By jim long

2017 Tesla Model S Sedan 100D 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

My wife and I loved everything about this car except for the gross overestimation by Tesla regarding the range that it would achieve on a full charge. That range did not even come close to the estimation of 335 miles that Tesla advertised. We were barely able to make a round trip between New York City and Philadelphia which is a little over 200 miles. And if the remaining available power was in the area of 10% at the end of our trip, it would take 12 hours or more to fully recharge the battery with our home unit. After owning the car for four months, we were forced to sell it at a significant loss primarily because of my wife's fear that she would run out of power and become stranded. If you do not do a lot of high speed, open road driving such as on turnpikes and parkways, this would be a great car for you. It's performance is like nothing else I have ever experienced, including the Porsche 911 that I own. But if you drive distances, and especially if you like to put the pedal down which this car practically begs you to do, my advice is to STAY AWAY.