2017 Tesla Model S Sedan Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Model S model:

Must Read Owner Review
By Spandan

2017 Tesla Model S Sedan 90D 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

The car was great when it was new. Just in 6 months the problems started with the mechanical and electronics.they were addressed several times and the service did not take care of them. They rather reply you back telling “we have not seen it. “ Meaning you are lying. The issue still exists. I have a maintenance plan but the vehicle was never taken care correctly. I had the issue with the central console right from the first service and was never adresssed. Finally it shut down excately after my 4 the service and now they say I have to pay for it because I am out of warrenty. They make you pay for the service and maintenance plans but the service is not at all justified. I have spend $150K on the care so far. It’s great as long as it runs with no issue. But running with no issues is impossible. I might spend so much on the care to drive it for 8+ years and now driving it for 2 years had been literally miserable. My order for Model 3 is in progress and now I am cancelling them also. I feel bad that I have referee many of my friends and now they have the same bad experience. The cost and maintenance of my P90D is more that BMW 7 series and Mercedes S Class. This is spending more money rather that saving. This review is coming after I have talked to several owners. The car was behaving weird and I was scared to drive it after after a week of my recent service.i had it in drive mode and it just reversed and hit the garage. The console was shut down and Tesla says they see that I reversed and hit the garage. This car is not reliable and not safe at all when it malfunctions like this. And you have to spend money to get this fixed.

Tesla Model S AWESOME
By Thadd Jennings

2017 Tesla Model S Sedan 90D 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

I never thought I would be buying a Tesla. My business partner bought a Model P 100d. It was the fastest car I have ever been in. I have 2 Porsches and they are both turbos. To say thwart, I was impressed. I went and test drove a Tesla and bought one the next week! I love not having to buy gas!

"Range Anxiety" is the rule of the day
By jim long

2017 Tesla Model S Sedan 100D 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

My wife and I loved everything about this car except for the gross overestimation by Tesla regarding the range that it would achieve on a full charge. That range did not even come close to the estimation of 335 miles that Tesla advertised. We were barely able to make a round trip between New York City and Philadelphia which is a little over 200 miles. And if the remaining available power was in the area of 10% at the end of our trip, it would take 12 hours or more to fully recharge the battery with our home unit. After owning the car for four months, we were forced to sell it at a significant loss primarily because of my wife's fear that she would run out of power and become stranded. If you do not do a lot of high speed, open road driving such as on turnpikes and parkways, this would be a great car for you. It's performance is like nothing else I have ever experienced, including the Porsche 911 that I own. But if you drive distances, and especially if you like to put the pedal down which this car practically begs you to do, my advice is to STAY AWAY.

Thinking about a Model S? JUST WAIT
By RJ

2017 Tesla Model S Sedan 90D 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

The Model S is in many ways a great car...just don't expect all the functions to work all of the time. I've owned a Model S for 7 months. My salesperson told me that most Tesla buyers had never paid more than $40,000 on a vehicle. I was in that same boat. So, I expected a lot. Also, prior to the Model S, I owned Toyotas and Hondas, so I was used to reliability. But, two days after I took delivery, there was a computer glitch that prevented my car from moving and stranded me at work. Since then, I've had to call for service probably a dozen times. Most recently, my touchscreen will just blank out while I'm driving. Tesla has reviewed my car logs several times, but has been unable to fix this problem. The navigation system has frozen a few times, my streaming radio does not always work and my bluetooth audio just stopped working yesterday. Every few weeks, you'll get an update that purports to fix the recent problems, but in my experience, seems to cause a number of new problems. I have memorized how to reboot the touchscreen just like I used to do with my Pentium computer in the 90s. It may be that I just received a "bad apple." On the bright side, the car is stylish, the acceleration is very quick and the customer service reps are polite (even if they can't fix the problems). Tesla is like a new computer-company - they still have to work out the glitches.

Just an Amazing Car!
By Pete V.

2017 Tesla Model S Sedan 75D 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

I custom ordered my car on Sept 1, from the factory and it was delivered on Sep 30, 2017. I have researched and saved up for the last 3 years to purchase this car. After owning it for the last 4 months, I enjoy every time I drive it, it's truly an AMAZING car! The power (0 to 60mph = 4.2 seconds for 75D), interactive functions, safety and the ride quality is unmatched for this starting price point (80k, with other options 90k) and ZERO emissions and Free Supercharging for life! That free supercharging alone can save you about $15k (100k miles @ $3.30/g super in CA), also no oil/filter changes. I also own a Jaguar, love to drive it UNTIL I purchased the Tesla, now I can't / don't want to drive it as it seems so outdated in all aspects. I would recommend anyone to test drive this car and see for yourself!