Used 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:

Surefooted Subaru
By Cody Yeager

2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV 2.0i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Most Subaru buyers are college educated women and that describes me. This is my fifth Subaru, so I know of which I speak. I have driven Foresters, Outbacks, and even the old Loyale. The Crosstrek is far and away the most surefooted vehicle I have ever driven. I don't use chains or studs; I don't need to. It is not unusual for me to ford streams or climb the roads around Oregon's highest peak, Mt. Hood, in winter. Never have I felt the Crosstrek slide at all. I call my car "Orange Crush," because it is the beautiful tangerine color. Paint is in excellent condition after 3 years, as is the leather interior. Even my two dogs who are always co-piloting haven't managed to scratch or tear it. WIth my kayak on the roof, my two dogs inside, along with all our gear, there is still plenty of room. Best car ever. 30,000 miles on the odometer and not one issue, except having to replace the battery a few months ago. On the freeway, it is not unusual to reach 40-42 MPG.

Symmetrical Ultimate Vehical for any season
By w r

2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

The main reason I have chosen this car was the versatility of usages in any season, winter, snow, sand, mountain, city driving everything is covered. You do not need snow chain, you do not need special tires. Just use all season Michelin tires and you will be more than happy. It is extremely reliable. It has the highest resale value and very good fuel economy(29+ MPG). It is not too big and not too compact. It is not too expensive either. Most of the car loose value significantly(40%+) in first 5 years, however, this car lost only 5%-10%, because it has a very high demand and that demand drives the less depreciation.

80k miles in and....
By Nowhereman

2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

My crosstrek's CVT transmission went out on me at just under 80k miles, or better yet, just past the warranty. I never did hard driving with it; only highway miles too and from work. The price to have it fixed? 8000 dollars! And it was a little past the power train warranty too. It's a good car, but I have never heard of a transmission going out that quick before. Just beware.
UPDATE: The CVT was replaced and the bill was paid by Subaru, (Yay!) but I still have a oil consumption issue that despite Subaru saying it’s normal, I still put in nearly a quart between changes. Nothing like carrying a quart around with you where ever you go for those special moments...
UPDATE 2: now at 102k miles I’m up to almost two quarts of oil between changes and this is after running the oil consumption test two more times, it’s still comes back as ‘acceptable oil consumption’. I’m keeping Valvoline in business...

Mechanically sound but technologically deficient
By Bryan

2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV 2.0i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Vehicle has been very reliable and dependable. Good performance in the snow. Decent MPG. Easy to change oil.

Technology is very poor though. Text message and e-mail display fails to work most of the time. "EyeSight" active safety system has far too many false alarms and is more of an annoyance than useful. "EyeSight" frequently turns off due to inclement weather, leaving two very bright indicators on the dash. System takes a long time to scan for music on USB devices, and has to do it on every start up, even if the USB device was left plugged in. Steering wheel has four audio buttons on the same rocker switch, leading to pressing wrong controls unintentionally.

Remote start system is an awful design. Remote start, as added to keyless entry system, does not reach more than 40 feet. And after remote starting, the vehicle turns off when the door is opened. Who thought that was a good idea? Also honks main horn when remote starting, real great for the neighbors. Rear defrost does not turn on with remote start, which is silly because that is mainly used during winter.

Vehicle could also use a more powerful engine option and a better sound system option. Small annoying delay when shifting from reverse to drive. Gas latch is in a terrible location on the floor of the driver side. Prone to collecting dirt and debris, unless you have a floor mat that covers it.

Love it EXCEPT the windshield
By Mary

2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV 2.0i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my Crosstrek less than a year ago. At first it was very sluggish when accelerating from a complete stop (did fine if already in motion). This improved after I drove it hard for a few months. Gas mileage is fabulous at 30-31 mpg on my daily commute. I don't like the cruise control system as it breaks hard going downhill to keep exactly at the set mph (I have alot of hills on my drive). I noticed also that the cruise system depletes my mpg as well, due to the frequent braking/accelerating. I have not had any issues with acceleration/passing in the mountains of CO like some other reviewers. Handling and stability are awesome, especially in snow and mud (even better than my Dodge Ram 1500). Being short I am very comfortable in any of the seats and with entry/exit. However, my 6ft 2in husband hates getting in and out of it, but he is comfortable once in the vehicle. Bluetooth is pointless as no one can hear/understand me while the car is in motion. I have not had a single mechanical issue. However, I would advise that if you live in an area with gravel roads, gravel is used on roads for winter traction, or go to the mountains frequently not to get the EyeSight. It requires a "dealership only" glass to replace the windshield so that the EyeSight will calibrate right. Windshield repair places in my area say they have a contractual obligations with Subaru to use the "dealer only" glass. I am on my THIRD windshield in less than a year! And one of the windshields, I drove cracked in three different areas through the winter. I knew if was replaced it would be chipped and cracked within days. One month is the longest I have gone without a cracked windshield. Once chipped, each time the windshield has cracked within minutes, making it impossible for me to get it in for chip repair vs full windshield repair. I was three car lengths behind the other vehicles when the chips happened, and one chip was from a rock thrown by a truck going the opposite direction on a two lane road. So not a matter of driving habits, just thin crappy glass.