2017 Subaru WRX Sedan Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Subaru WRX Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific WRX model:

Test Drive before purchase!
By I. Georgiev

2017 Subaru WRX Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Bought it brand new in June 2016 because It looked perfect on paper. Made the mistake of not even test driving it because the dealerships around me did not allow them at the time. Mistakenly decided to purchase it anyway because it's a Subaru and a close friend of mine convinced me that it's one of the greatest cars in the world. The car looks good and the interior has a decent quality to it. In my opinion better plastics than a BMW 435i which I test drove recently. The CVT is pretty decent despite getting a lot of hate. The mileage was pretty bad considering I wasn't trashing it and drove conservatively 80% of time. I was getting 24-25 at best mixed which is pretty appalling for 2.0l, 3400lbs, direct injection + cvt. The ride quality is worse than my former 350Z and nowhere near as fun. The exhaust noise is super mediocre. The worst audio system I experienced in a car. it sounded like a gramophone. Also constant drone in the cabin at certain rpms. Installed OEM STi midpipe which was supposed to address that. It did nothing. The more I drove it, the more disappointed I was getting, to the point where I couldn't stand it anymore and sold it after 2 years and lost 10k in the process. Reliability was superb at least. Not a single issue. Oil changes were a 15 min breeze. I regret not getting a used IS350 at the time. piece of advice for anyone in the market- get a Golf GTI. First and last Subaru for me.

Phenomenal performer for bargain price
By Peter P

2017 Subaru WRX Sedan Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned my 2017 WRX Premium manual for a year and a half now, with 20k miles. This car needs to be compared against other cars in its pricing. Quite simply, there are NO competitors now that the Evo is gone. No other car handles this incredibly, with this much grip and AWD capability. The torque vectoring in corners through braking is not just a gimmick. My friend who owns a Corvette Z06 couldn’t believe how much speed I could carry into corners due to the torque vectoring. Also, people who say the audio system is poor simply don’t know how to calibrate it. Look up a YouTube tutorial and fix it in 5 minutes. You’re welcome. :) the only bad thing about this car is that it needs more power. But, then you would sacrifice the fuel economy, which I can get up to 30mpg when driving lightly and staying off the turbo. So it’s probably the best balance of power and fuel economy for a daily driver that has great trunk space and good backseat room.

The 15+ WRX daily drive with fun injection
By Samuel Baldridge

2017 Subaru WRX Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

If you’re looking for one four season performance car that can be daily driven comfortably and still deal with snow and terrible roads and you’ve got around $30k, this is the car for you. Great fuel economy for the performance class, fees like an Audi at high speed, but has a lower CG and less weight hanging out beyond the front axle so it doesn’t understeer like an Audi. Dead flat in corners, predictable near its limits and quite quick. It’s only downfall is tire noise and it’s terrible factory boost control solenoid. Unbeatable value for the money

Sports sedan for the family man
By Jorge

2017 Subaru WRX Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my second WRX and overall I am very satisfied. Acceleration is very strong for a 4 cylinder, 0-60 in the mid 5s, Considering its all wheel drive its lightweight and agile. The turbo kicks in early, but falls on its face at higher RPMS. The aftermarket is very large so making more power is easy if you so desire. I have full bolt ons and can hit 40 mpg on the highway, 35 mixed. Shifting into second gear smoothly can be a bit tricky, but there are aftermarket remedies as well. Subaru did a great job updating the interior over the previous generation, but the factory sound system is still lacking. The car is comfortable enough to daily, and still capable to aggressively drive down back roads. The seats are comfortable and supportive. Interior space is good, I don't ever feel cramped. Plenty of trunk space, at least for my needs. I'm not too big on gadges or electronics, but the blue tooth takes a bit long to connect. After owning the car for over a year, no unscheduled maintenance, just regular oil changes and tire rotations and she's good to go! This is the definition of an affordable sports sedan for the family man.

Is it really a performance car?
By AirLokita

2017 Subaru WRX Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

So I always wanted a WRX and decided to buy one to replace a BMW 135i. I have to say, a little disappointed. Everything everyone has written is mostly true regarding outward visibility, ergo, handling -- all excellent. Very confidence inspiring in the twisties. But there's a big problem: it's slow. It's just a slow car. Would be quite surprised if this dyno'd at the advertised 270hp. Not Prius slow, or stay out of the left lane slow, but it's really not quick. The aforementioned BMW - and I'd guess any x35/40 series of BMW, would eat this for breakfast/lunch/dinner on almost any given road. The salesperson insisted I keep it under 4K RPM on the test drive, and I just sort of assumed there was a more active part of the powerband above 4K. Nope. I like the car though. It's companionable, and I trust it (unlike the BMW). Not a bad value. Shoulda bought the STI.