Used 2014 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 52 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Expensive Problems
By David Wesley

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Don’t buy this car. I picked one up in 2017 for around $14k, and have since regretted it. It is underpowered (a staple of crossovers), the CVT is terribly built, the infotainment is underwhelming, etc. during and after driving it for 20k miles (80k-100k), it had severe electrical problems, catalytic converter problems, problems with burning oil, transmission problems, brake problems, and many unfortunate rattles. These amounted to over $4k in repairs, on one visit to the auto shop. Keep in mind it was clearly babied and driven mostly on the highway before I bought it. If you are absolutely set on buying this car, the pros include great ground clearance, great AWD, great cargo space, a good low-speed gear ratio, and bearable fuel economy on the highway. Either way, it is a much better idea to pick up a same-year, same-mileage Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4.

Everything I expected
By Skip K

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Big differences between the standard model and the high end model as far as options , comfort and amenities . Ours is the High End model and very glad that wa what we chose ! Extremely comfortable leather interior, great sound system. Very pleased with the MPG - better than advertised.

Subaru Transmission goes bad
By Bneu

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We had a brand new 2014 Subaru Outback and after 4 years and just over 110,000 miles and the transmission blew. There were many previous complaints about the transmission so instead of recalling the transmissions, they extended the warranty. Subaru will not replace and it is shocking that after only 4 years a Subaru, which is supposed to be good quality and reliable.

Stylish Workhorse
By John Brown

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is without a doubt the best car I've ever driven in adverse weather conditions. I had no qualms about driving in snow. Always felt in control. I would highly recommend it to anyone who needs a spacious interior for family, or just to carry a lot of stuff. Surprisingly peppy for a 4 cylinder with a CVT transmission. Can't beat that Subaru boxer engine.

Missing my beautiful Outback!😭😭😭
By Susi Orosco

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This was the best car I’ve ever owned. I never had a moments trouble with it. My son in law ran through a stop sign and totaled it. No one was hurt! My husband was going blind and we had to drive 5-6 hrs to the surgeon and then back over 2 years, then we found out he had cancer, I was never concerned about being able to get him to chemo. I loved that car. I recommend it highly. Best car I ever had.