Used 2012 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Another Boxer Blown Head Gasket
By Bill Dignon

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I am (now was) an owner of a 2012 Subaru Outback with the 2.5 L Boxer engine that we bought new in 2012. I was a very loyal and enthusiastic owner and meticulously maintained the vehicle. My wife drove it, all highway miles and approx. 20K mi/year. When the Outback hit around 80K mi. I started noticing oil burning, at first around 1 Qt per oil change. Although I switched to synthetic oil and changed it at 5K vs 7.5K mi per the owners manual, it got worse- to the point where I was checking the oil almost daily. When it hit 120K mi., when you started it, it sounded like a box of rocks rolling around inside the hood for at least several minutes, and sometimes when you hit the gas pedal going up a hill. At 125K miles it blew a head gasket. I was so disillusioned not only for the thousands in repair costs, but all of those advertisements talking about reliability, passing the vehicle down to the grown kids, etc., etc, etc. (I really drank the Kool-Aid on those!) The more people i talked to and the more research i did, i found at least 4 other friends/friends of friends that had the same head gasket experience. In reviewing some blogs i also found folks with newer models, like 2018’s, having the same oil burning issues. I don’t know what Subaru did or changed on their Boxer engines, but they have a serious problem with these engines that they do not appear to be addressing. I have since traded mine in on a new Honda CR-V and so far i’m Very happy with it. SUBARU- GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER OR STOP ALL YOUR ADs ABOUT SUPPOSED RELIABILITY!!!

Lemon!!! Pick something else.
By SGraham

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We bought this car new. Quality is non-existent. Cost of ownership is astronomical! For instance, suggested replacement of timing belt for maintenance purposes is $2000+. Now we have a faulty torque converter that will cost $1200 to repair. This vehicle kills on quick stops or sudden slowdowns at intersections. Other past issues include: faulty electrical, leaky hatch, broken audio, broken USB ports, murky headlight plastic, faulty headlights-expensive to replace, and on and on. We've owned other brands that have been easy repairs, safe, and good to 175K and 10 years old. Perhaps this car was among those that had falsified inspections done by bogus inspectors? Google Subaru Scandal.

Number 2 out of 3
By Lorie M. Kennealy

2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This was our 2nd Outback. In 2015 we traded our 2001 Outback (LL Bean) in for or 2015 Forester Touring. I guess you could say we're sold or hooked on Subaru's. The only thing I can say about Subaru is that the cares they make are wonderful and long lasting with very very few problems. We love SUBARU !!!!!!!

Good long term vehicle
By JLAz

2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Best investment ever.

Subaru or a Volvo
By craig

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Do you think it would help.