Used 2000 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews

Used Outback for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...6

Pros
Cons

Perfect Arizona car!

Desertrider, 10/04/2015
4dr Wagon AWD

We have owned this car for three years now and I am still in love. We like to take the road less traveled (or nearly nonexistent) and this car delivers. More than once we have encountered people in lifted 4x4 trucks who are always amazed to see us. On the highway, the mileage is decent and it sticks to the twistiest road like a champ. Maintenence is easy and the engine is a reliable workhorse. The back seats and cargo areas are well designed. My only complaint is that vibration and road noise is a bit of a problem. The pros of this car far outweigh that one con.

Highly Recommend

smColour, 01/28/2009
4dr Wagon AWD

I highly recommend this car to anyone who regularly drives in not so good road conditions. This car was my first real purchase at age 18 and I love every second with it. With the winter weather conditions of 8 feet of snow in Southern Oregon, this car has had no problem it it. It is comfortable in long road trips and very reliable. Nothing has gone wrong with it (knock on wood) but even if something does, the performance I've had so far already makes up for any future errors. It doesn't get the best mileage, although for all wheel drive it's pretty good. I love my Subaru Outback and wouldn't make a trade for anything.

ENGINE PROBLEMS?????

linkinparker, 05/13/2011
4dr Wagon AWD

If my 2000 outback has engine problems then i say thank god the old owners took care of them, i inherited it from my folks when it had 160k miles on it, after 6 years, its just over 270k miles on it, i write this review mainly for my love for my outback and mind you i have to get rid of it soon and the new models arent as reliable if you see this and want something that reliable, practical, and can carry a occasional heavy item then this is your car. Since i've gotten this car i've only really spent about a grand total into minus the norms, gas, wheels, oil changes, ect. wish subaru made their cars like they did back in the early 2ks.

Love/hate

brenda, 07/26/2010
Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall same issues most have had with this vehicle. Head gasket went at 90k, check engine light always coming on. Oxygen sensor, at 165k tensioner on timing belt went out. Basically had to rebuild the engine. New alternator and ac. Have had several thousand $$ worth of repairs. A lot of wind noise on the hwy. On the plus side, awd is awesome, only limited by the clearance. Really like the look of the car. I loved the vehicles performance overall but disappointed with the amt of $$ I had to shell out on repairs. Wish Subaru would fix some of the mechanical issues as I probably will not buy another Subaru unless some assurance that these common problems have been resolved.

Outback wagon automatic trans, good and bad

tlpw, 02/12/2012
4dr Wagon AWD

Interesting edmunds fails to list the cars with auto trans. Had this car since 09, purchased with 120k for $4800 and has 176k on it now. CEL on since 3 months after I bought it; spent way too much trying to figure it out; dealership states due to oxygen sensors, which are supposedly all one part with the catalytic so would have to replace that whole thing-they told me to keep driving it. Lots of front end issues, huge motor/trans vibrations that no one can seem to figure out, dealer or other subaru masters. Wasted lots of cash there too. Happens whenever I'm stopped in gear, always have to take it out of gear. Better mechanical knowledge needed at dealerships. Seat & driving comfort -10

Head Gasket and Sway Bar - Ouch!

ensoniqman, 03/20/2009
4dr Wagon AWD

We bought our 2000 Subaru Outback Wagon as second owners over 4 years ago & the engine has slowing been declining since then. Great looks and reputation, but I wish we had researched the engine a little more. Head gaskets are known for blowing at under 100k miles on these Subarus, and our was no exception. The front sway bar also sheared off. Never had this problem with my Toyota or Hondas in the past. We also had an oil analysis performed by Blackstone Laboratories three years ago. Their results came in good, but that was before the gasket blew. We maintained the engine regularly with a new belt, synthetic oil, new plugs & filter.

AWD Kicks!

kalliday, 10/04/2006
4dr Wagon AWD

This car was an impulse buy and despite my research beforehand and then afterward, it has not been worth the money 10 times over. Check engine light is always on and off (catalytic converter), goes through a whole set of brakes and rotors in less than a year (and I am NOT driving like a maniac!), acceleration is crappy, alignment is never quite right, need I continue? Unfortunately for Subaru, this is my second and the last (I had a 1999 Forester before that which was great but no lumbar support).

GET A CLUE BUY A SUBARU!

outbacksleeper, 04/09/2012
4dr Wagon AWD

Seriously been reading some of these reviews and they are a joke! My Outback has 220K miles on it AND RUNS LIKE A CHAMP! purchased this car off of a friend that did next to no maintenance at 200K, and after only 500 dollars in little things, I can beat the Mustangs off the line! Head Gaskets at 100k are NOT normal to be replaced, and my car was ran hard before owning, unlike other people complaining it's not an issue (lemons?) Tranny is awesome, Handling superb, gas mileage is excellent for an AWD. only issue is the Check Engine Light pops on and off, but that is because of the Cat conv. O2 sensor which is a KNOWN BUG, nothing to worry about though. DEF BUY THIS CAR, IT's BULLET PROOF!

Outback LTD Wagon

neoneo22, 05/04/2002
Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Great overall. Only problem is that CD player fails to function 75% of time, have yet to replace it, however. Had an accident, and while the other car (a brand new mercury cougar) was totaled, this car didn't even have a scratch on it (no exaggeration)!! Very quiet and very comfortable.

Solid Vehicle

jkwcivil, 01/14/2010
4dr Wagon AWD

I purchased this car used in September '09 with approximately 41,000 miles. Since then I've driven 10,000 miles in different conditions, including ice and mud, and I've found this to be a solid and reliable vehicle. It has the four cylinder engine. I get 23 to 24 mpg with 50% highway and 50% in town. I admit that I'm not an aggressive driver. Most others would probably get a lower gas mileage reading. The suspension is very much like an SUV when traveling off-road or over rough pavement. The all wheel drive gives a secure feeling when the roads are slick. I can see why Subarus are popular in northern states.

12345...6