Used 2016 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

Used Forester for Sale
Select your model:
12345...34

Pros
Cons

Great Value in CUVs

John Cihak, 02/08/2016
2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

First of all, I am writing this review keeping in mind its for a CUV and not a sports car. A traded a 2010 Honda CR-V for my 2016 Forester 2.5i. I also test drove a Honda CR-V, HR-V, and many Subaru models and trims Since I already own a sporty car, my purpose for buying the Forester was practicality. My reasons for picking and loving the Forester over other choices: - Quality of material are superior. The seat fabric feels better and more durable than on the CR-V. The plastic trim feels really nice and is soft-touch in most places. The switch gear (knobs) are very solid. The doors, door panels and seat frame are solid. - The 2.5 boxer engine and CVT provide much better acceleration than my old CR-V. Its on par with the new CR-V but it handles better. - Visibility is outstanding. I feel much safer being able to see around me so well 360 degrees. Most CUVs have poorer visibility. - Subaru AWD is best in class. The OEM tires are mediocre, but that is true of most OEM tires. - Storage space is excellent - on par with the CR-V. - Cabin tech is much better than I was used to. I paired both my wife's and my iPhones. You can set it up to automatically connect to either phone when do so manually when the car starts. I use Apple Music and have steering wheel control of Apple Radio, playlists, albums, etc. Pandora integration is also excellent. It all works over BT or over USB - your choice. - Handling is better than I expected. I drive a very rough, windy road for a few miles each day. The suspension tracks very well and inspires confidence. - MPG is very good. I used to average 24.5 mpg with my 2010 CR-V. In the first 1000 miles I average 28.5 mpg with the Forester. I expect that to get better after break-in, with warmer weather and summer gas. - My dealer was great. I asked them if I could get heated seats added to the base model. They took care of getting them installed (after-market). Considering the Subaru's TMV and my trade, they didn't charge me anything for the upgrade. And a few cons: - With the base Forester I got manual seats. I wish they were more adjustable. - Subaru could have provided more storage nooks in the dash Considering the passenger volume, cargo volume, great CUV mileage, and quality, the Forester is a steal.

Last of the Manual Transmission AWD Crossovers

Justin T. Dix, 01/06/2016
2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned 3 other new Subaru vehicles including the WRX, Outback, and the Impreza. The 2016 Forester is the only AWD in its class that can be equipped with a tow package and a manual transmission. This is one of the main reasons for purchasing. I am a die hard manual transmission guy and automotive enthusiast. I like the room, fuel economy, and overall versatility of the forester. I do not like the slow throttle response when accelerating and when releasing the accelerator between gear shifts. This is a byproduct of electronic throttle control calibration. I do not like the inability to turn off stability control. There is a mystery button on the gauge cluster left over from another model that does nothing when pressed. My main dislike is that I cant buy a new manual transmission forester with navigation. this makes no sense. I would have purchased the XT if it came with a manual transmission. The climate control in the Premium Forester has very clunky rotary dials that have course graduations making it difficult to find a comfortable setting. The handsfree phone microphone system is very bad. Everyone that I call using either my I phone or Android say that I have an echo.This is a common problem on all three of my late model Subarus. The LCD display between the tachometer and speedometer looks like it is from the 1980s. My other Subarus have color LCD screens with gear indication and cruise set points displayed as information here. Even my 2015 base model WRX has many more tech features than this higher trim level forester. Since the instrument panel for the Forester, WRX and Impreza is basically the same, I do not understand why they don't have the same features. The Dealer Service network is small for Subaru which makes some things aggravating. Also, most labor rates at Subaru shops are 20-30% higher than the GM and Ford shops. This does not make sense to me either.

Absolute best bang for your buck

Kevin Spacey, 03/06/2016
2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have spent nearly 100 hours over the past several months reading/watching everything I can about midsize suv's and trucks. I test drove a number as well. I had shyed away from Subaru mostly because I was never a fan of their appearance which is why it took me so long to start researching them and eventually test driving. I was blown away at how much you get for the price. The quality is obvious the minute you see one in person and take it for a drive. The standard AWD is unbeatable. It feels heavy yet has this velvety smooth acceleration that makes you feel one with the pavement. The outward appearance is deceiving. It doesn't look huge but when you step inside its like an entirely different vehicle. It's extremely roomy inside and the oversized windows open it up even more. I test drove a RAV4 with comparable features and it felt like a large Corolla and was way pricier. If you're even thinking about a vehicle in this class you need to test drive the Forester. It'll sell itself.

Kids are gone, and wife wanted out of her minivan.

Peter, 07/25/2016
2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We are recent empty nesters, and my wife wanted to downsize from her Honda Odyssey. We really liked the Odyssey, but at 170,000 miles and 14 years, my wife started to doubt its durability. I think it was more perception than reality, but if you feel nervous driving your ride and you can afford a new one, its time to upgrade. We test "sitted" many of the competitors in the small SUV/CUV segment, and my wife was attracted to the Forester for its 1) outward visibility, 2) Subaru Eyesight, 3) practicability, 4) no-nonsense styling, 5) durability, and 6) ruggedness. What is up with other brands using tiny windows? I guess Gen X and Gen Y likes to hide under hoodies and baseball caps. Maybe they should just cover their eyes with their hands. The Forester was the only vehicle that she didn't feel as though she was looking out of a cave. My wife is a blue jeans/track shoes type of gal (she doesn't buy or use makeup!), and the Subaru brand image fits her perfectly. Subaru Eyesight clinched the deal for us. It is driver assistance technology that includes lane departure, forward collision warning, emergency braking, and adaptive cruse control. Its pricing was very reasonable and did not require expensive and unwanted upgrades. Because we are entering our senior years, we felt that these driver aids will come in handy over the coming years. We wish that it also had blind spot monitoring. However, the windows on the Forester are really large, so you don't really need it. I'm a mild car enthusiast and had my doubts about the CVT transmission, but it works pretty well with the engine. There is a little lag with hard acceleration from a stop, and you may think twice about passing a car at 50 mph, but it really is not noticeable in puttering around town or shleping along the interstate. After all, you don't buy a Forester to drag race. We have only owned it for 2,000 miles, but so far so good: no discernible defects or issues. How about me? Well, being ancient, I wanted really comfortable seats, like the zero gravity seats in the Nissan Murano. They are a dream. The Forester seats are comfortable, but not stellar. I would pay more for better seats. Also, the ride could be more compliant. The suspension is a little stiff. Maybe it will soften a bit with more miles. When driving over expansion joints on the highway, there can be a bucking motion that is particularly noticeable for back seat passengers. How about technology? The infotainment screen could be better, but it is acceptable, unless you get your undies in a knot over anything less than iPod ease of use. Come on people. You have a really blessed life if your biggest complaint is hitting the correct station on your touch screen. In summary, we love our Subaru. I hope we don't become those tedious Subaru zombies who rattle on about how great their car is, but I may have gotten the virus. With a little luck, my Subaru will see me out!

Exciting time in the Premium

Kenneth L. Weaver, 03/03/2016
2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I came from a 2007 Honda Civic LX, I looked, and test drove most of the main players. I tried the CRV, Rogue, Tiguan, CX-5, and the Outlander. I had it narrowed down to these. I had previously owned Ford, KIA, and Hyundai products..never down that road again. They all had their strong points, but after you take all those and combine them, you end up with the Forester. I love the styling, and the ride. The only downside is the poor OEM tires. The Yokohama Geolanders, well they just suck. Besides the tires, I love the layout and the functionality inside. I find the seats are comfortable (I've had back surgery). No excess noises or rattles. The stereo is nice with the bluetooth connectivity, and the USB ports inside the center console. If you are looking for a comfortable CUV with a can do attitude, check out the Forester. **8 month update. I have 14k miles on it now, loving it even more. ***A year later and no complaints. Just passed 25k miles.

12345...34