Used 2016 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Why are these cars rated so high?
By Brian & Kathy

2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After Purchasing and owning several new GM and Toyota Vehicles, we decided to try a Subaru. This might date me, but these things were all the rage, back in the early 80's, and I was feeling nostalgic. We read all the reviews, drank the cool-aid and said, we want to feel that "love and loyalty" Subaru owners seem to have. We were wrong. After owning this car for two years and 35,000 miles later we will never buy another Subaru. There are plenty of better cars out there for the money. Their "after the purchase" support is not great. I quite honestly had never driven a worst car on winter roads than this Forester. I have driven in Mich winters for 35 years and have never been in car that has handled this badly, or have ever heard the wind noise this thing makes. They told me it was the tires. They told me unfortunately other people have had the same problem. People say to me hey how do you like your Subaru, I tell them the truth, I guess we just never felt the "Love"

The good, the Bad, and the ugly
By Joe Newman

2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The Subaru Forester my wife and I own is a 2016 2.5i Premium. Overall, very nice vehicle, but if you are considering one, you might want to consider my impressions of the vehicle after putting 32,000 miles on what was a dealer loaner with 5,000 miles on it at delivery. The Good: 1) Great gas mileage, average is 28 locally, 30 on a trip to New York State from Alabama. 2) AWD nice, even in Alabama since we attend events (flea markets, festivals) that require parking in fields. 3) Ground clearance very nice, never scraped anything (curb, steep driveway). 4) Vehicle has a low center of gravity compared to other compact SUVs so it holds the road on curves (probably due to flat Boxer engine). The Bad: 1) Red dashboard lights are annoying and everywhere (on the doors and console too). 2) Squeak/rattle at highway speeds in dashboard when temperature goes into 30s that gets worse as the temperature drops – goes away starting in 40s and up (dealer uncertain as to fix). 3) No parts made in the United States, so much for supporting local industry. 4) Cabin noise creates a problem for someone in the back seat who is expected to participate in conversations between people sitting in front seats. The Ugly: 1) Front seats very comfortable for wife, very uncomfortable for daughter. 2) While safety tests put the vehicle near the top of compact SUVs, the Death Rate in the vehicle (IIHS) is about at the national average for vehicles. 3) Fold-down rear split seats allow hauling, but the seats do not fold completely flat – there is a troublesome bump that can damage items (loog IKEA boxes). 4) Uses regular gasoline, but requires full-synthetic engine oil. 5) Although engine has lots of room to maneuver for servicing, dealer says some quick-lubes have confused the oil and transmission drain plugs and caused major transmission problems that require a prolonged fight to get reimbursed for damage. Overall, so far a good vehicle, and I would consider buying another. Wife is thrilled with the vehicle and says it is the first vehicle she has made payments on that she is happy about making the payment. So you know what our next vehicle is likely to be – that is how we stayed married for 38 years.

Won't be purchasing another Subaru
By Martin

2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought this car for my wife, mostly because it had sweet safety ratings and distracted driver assistance. Rides quiet and fine. Looks okay, but could be a little more stylish. Safety seems excellent. Love the Eyesight, which prevented me from rolling into a car which inexplicably stopped in front of me. The first disappointment was the mileage, which was significantly lower than the sticker estimate (24/32), and one reason I chose this vehicle over other options. Suburb/highway combined mileage netted just under 24, whereas highway never topped 26. Interior was the major disappointment here, and mostly on things you wouldn't know without using the SUV for a while. The fabric on the ceiling is pretty flimsy, easily soiled and hard to clean. But the worst is the super-thin plastic interior of the cargo area. We placed some suitcases back there for a trip to the beach, and it busted a hole in the plastic wall surrounding the compartment. On closer inspection, I could see how ridiculously-thin the material was. Guessing this was used either for weight/mileage, or cost, but it could be described as an interior crumple zone, because the next hard object that goes in there will likely bust another hole in it. Can't imagine someone using this vehicle to move any sort of equipment or even making a trip to the hardware store. Seriously cheap. If they haven't upgraded the cargo interior and ceiling fabric in later models, I'd look at other manufacturers, who now have similar driver's assistance systems available. Oh, and the manager never called my wife back when she wanted to talk about the interior damage, so won't be going back there (Herb Gordon, MD).

First Subaru and very happy
By Mike from southern Indiana

2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I'm pushing 70 and have owned many, many vehicles in my life. I have another SUV and a nice sports car, but I wanted something for snowy days that didn't cost much to own and operate and was reliable. I have about 20k miles on this 2016 now and am very happy with the purchase. It was the best value available. I was a little concerned about the oil burning issues of the previous three years, but this one doesn't use a drop of oil. Likewise, I didn't know what to expect from the CVT, but it is just fine. It just doesn't sound like other cars when accelerating. Also, when we first test drove the vehicle, I thought the seats were too bouncy, but I've come to like them, and I find they are very comfortable on long trips. The back has plenty of cargo space and the windows are like driving around in a greenhouse. The visibility is something you need to experience to know what you are missing in other vehicles. You will need to get them tinted, especially if you live in a sunny location. There are just a very few things I don't care for or that could be improved. The sheet metal is really thin, but so were all of the competitors. The paint shows a few chips, but the vehicle is white and the touch up paint blends in well. I wish the doors would automatically lock. I can't figure out why the Subaru engineers don't do this. It wouldn't cost a thing and it would improve safety. The accelerator is a little sensitive. I suspect the engineers wanted to give the illusion of being peppy. It is not needed. The radio is OK, but I don't use any of the tech. Lastly, I don't care for the Subaru dog commercials. I know they sell cars, but I wish they would just focus on letting people know what a good value these vehicles are. I intend to keep this one a long time, so I installed some of the plastic door protectors and a rear bumper guard. The only other extras this vehicle has are alloy wheels and the roof rack. The vehicle is just perfect for us.

2016 Subaru Forester
By Floyd Martz

2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

It is a little early to rate this Forester but it is a huge upgrade from my 2004 model. I am hoping that the interior is more durable than my other one. The cloth/vinyl combo may split. I will see if they improved. I also looked at the Nissan Rogue and Toyota Rav4. If visibility matters, the Forester has it all over these other SUVs. However, I like the material of the seats in the Rogue more. The back up camera in the 2016 Forester is much better than the 15's. It has a larger area for hauling than the other models too without getting into a bigger sized SUV.