2020 Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid Consumer Reviews

$35,145

Save as much as $3,293
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Gas Saving SUV ?

John, 02/15/2020
Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought the 2019 Crosstrek Plug in hybrid to do something for the enironment. Good clearance, and trailer pulling - two things I wanted for work and fun. I wish the electric range was longer, but by plugging in the middle of the day, I can usually go all electric around town for 40 to 45 miles- considerably farther than the EPA estimates. I added a 240 volt plug and purchased a second charger (despite assurances from the dealership thet the included unit could take both voltages) That means even an hour at home gives me another 10 miles. Electric range drops if you drive on the freeway at 65. A few too many buttons in the steering wheel- I will get used to them- or learn to ignore them. Interior is spacious for passengers (compared to my old Forester). The seats fold down easily for carrying tools or gear and make up for the decreased cargo space.

Hybrid mpg worse than Sport model

Jennifer , 04/28/2021
Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I leased my Crosstrek Hybrid 6 months ago and have been constantly disappointed, embarrassed even, in the lack of fuel efficiency. My niece bought a new Crosstrek Sport around the same time. We’ve both taken our cars on long road trips, used for moderate commutes, and in town driving at lower speeds/more stops. Her fully gas engine has consistently gotten slightly better gas mileage than my hybrid, particularly on longer distance highway trips. I do quite a bit better on short in town trips, but still average way below Subaru’s claims. The absolute best gas mileage I have every achieved in the car is 50mpg, doing urban driving in Portland, OR. The mpg on the window sticker and Subaru website will tell you the vehicle gets between 35-90mpg. I honestly never expected to get 90mpg, we all know those claims are exaggerated. However, I never expected that my combined highway/city mpg would be less than 35mpg. The rest of the car is fine. It isn’t as loaded with premium features as I expected, comparing to my brother’s Outback Limited. No rain sensing wipers, no automatic lift gate, no remote start. I could totally live with these missing luxuries if it achieved anywhere near the advertised mpg. It looks nice, it’s comfortable, the safety features are fantastic, and the handling is actually a little better than expected. The drivetrain feels inconsistent though, sometimes runs smoothly and pleasantly unremarkable but other times it sounds and feels like it is working way too hard. Yes, off course I have reached out to Subaru with my concerns. I have taken it in twice and they find no defects. Even though they were not even able to get better than 35mpg driving it around town. They said I must be doing something wrong. Quick acceleration and hard braking, the mansplainer told me, can really impact your fuel economy. Apparently, you also have to keep it charged! These gentlemen at the dealership were actually very nice and well intentioned, but did they really think I didn’t know you have to keep a plug in hybrid charged? Also, I use one of those auto insurance apps that monitors my driving and even when I am intentionally trying to get the best mpg with gradual starts/stops, consistent moderate speeds - I cannot achieve better than 35mpg. That is with exhausting focus on how I am driving, which is not sustainable. I average 27mpg. My niece’s Sport averages 34mpg. In this case the hybrid seems actually worse for the environment. You are using more gas and the materials used in a lithium battery are not exactly eco safe. I believe it involves mining and special disposal precautions for starters. I have reached out to Subaru corporate and they have declined to comment or respond other than reiterating my lease terms. So disappointed.

Great transition vehicle

DEG, 11/14/2020
Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Limited cargo space but huge passenger area for a little car. Super trainer as an electric vehicle - really helped move us into the 21st century:)

Ad
  • $22,245starting MSRP

2020 Crosstrek Hybrid is a Winner

Jpone, 12/21/2020
Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

PHEV is perfect if most of your driving is close by. No need for complicated chargers. Car rides beautiful. Feels like affordable lux.