Used 2008 smart fortwo Consumer Reviews - 185 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 smart fortwo

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

Smart 2008
By James

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

The vehicle has been a joy to own. It has pep and most of the time you want to pass everyone on the road. The only thing done to the vehicle since I've owned it is one oil change. It has a good cruise speed of 70 MPH.

If possible a cruise control would be nice. Radio isn't the best.

Makes Life Easy
By HiBeamsOn

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I love my smart, and it makes my life in the city easy! I live where people will pay 30K for a parking spot, but why do that when for half the price you can have such a wonderful car! I NEVER have parking issues any longer! Drives great in the city and the freeway, holds lots of groceries, plenty of luggage for a weekend jaunt to the country, and enough space left over for those can't-live-without-it purchases. People have said that they cannot see themselves in a smart. I tell them that they are missing out. NOTE: The transmission is a manual that is designed to shift automatically. It is not an automatic. If you are used to the way a manual trans feels, the smart will feel very normal.

Small size for street parking, grocery carrying ability, style, quietness, heated seats, good air conditioning, clear roof, and fun, fun, fun.

I'd love a cruise control option to make my long trips more comfortable.

2 years and still loving my Smart
By Belva Hinthorn

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I reviewed my Smart 2 years ago just after purchase. 2 years, 10,500 miles later I still love driving it and besides gas, 2 maintenance visits, an armrest I just had installed, and an accessory for the back "trunk" for covered storage, I haven't put an extra dime into it. It still looks like new and is even more fun to drive. On my recent oil change visit, they made the upgrade on the transmission and installed a free battery (due to ? recall)so I'm good for another 5000 miles.It is even peppier now than before the upgrade. I have never regretted buying my Smart and hope to keep it forever. It still gets smiles from other drivers. The only reason to trade it would be for an electric model.

Roominess inside, stability, fun, convertible top, low maintenance cost

I fixed two negatives by buying the armrest that is offered by Smart and adding the trunk part that prevents groceries from sliding into the space behind the seat. I thought the cloth dashboard would be a problem buy mine still looks like new.

impossible to get repaired
By sasha

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Our smart car got hit in an accident. The authorized repair center did not have any of the parts in stock. We waited 6 weeks for parts to come in from Germany. I have never gotten such bad service or waited so long for repairs on a car. I would never buy another Smart Car. They are not yet prepared to enter the American market

Pros and Cons
By KvFireman

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I purchased my Smart in October of 2009. Overall for what it is, the Smart is a good car. The Smart only holds approx 8 gallons of fuel. I have clocked the mileage at 48 mpg driving at around 55-60mph. 65-70 it drops considerably. A steady foot on the gas pedal helps. Try to avoid slowing down and speeding up frequently. This will decrease your mpg. It does not do well shifting on it's own. It lugs a lot which I don't care what anybody says is not good for the engine!! The entire car also jolts when it shifts. You are better off shifting manually. There is no cruise control. The lumbar support is not very good. Other than those few issues, its really a great vehicle. Have no other complaints

MPG, Compact, moon roof, heated seats, MP3 aux jack, Bluetooth, triptronic trans.

Better lumbar support for seats, better shifting capabilities when not using the triptronic feature.