Used 2004 Scion xB Wagon Consumer Reviews - 236 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Scion xB Wagon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xB model:

My XB best car ever
By Ted

2004 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a great value 34+ MPG 25 bucks to fill the tank! I have got so much stuff in this car moving shopping I got 5 palets in the back with the door closed 12 bags of yard mulch. The Service is not very expensive just change the oil and simple stuff I purchased at 120000 miles and at 146000 no issues just brakes and routers can get dusty and make a noise so need to be serviced ever so often. My car was just rear ended unfortunately it's a total loss but I love the car so I am upgrading to an 06 XB. the car holds it's value very well it actually got way more then I payed for it from insurance. I recommend using senthetic oil and I change it myself every 4000 to 6000 miles it's very easy to work on yourself. Also the back door Handel will brake at some point and they are $70 on eBay perpainted I try not to pull on the Handel to open the rear because it's only attached with 2 screws and cheap plastic. The ride is a bit loud your sitting in a big box lol. The sespention is a bit stiff. This is a good car has lots of leg room head room for tall people and adults can fit in the back seat 3 can fit but 2 can fit comfortably.

Form Follows Function
By perling

2004 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

If you want is a cheap, extremely reliable four door with way more space than you'd first notice, this is it.
If you want comfort and power, go elsewhere.
If you don't expect more than you should from this true Econo-Box, than you'll actually find the Xb a joy to own.
It's actually fun to drive and does well with it's limited HP (tho an automatic with the air on must be a drag).
It's extremely roomy inside, and easy to get into for older folks, and it'll haul lots of junk.
Top that off w/30+ mpg and rock solid reliability and cheap to maintain prices and it's perfect for those who like it's frugal design nature.

Interior size, mpg, ease of ingress/egress, fun unique looks, massive hauling space.

This is not an over-stuffed chair. If you want comfort, buy something with more padding. I'm sure for some who never drive much beyond their hood, the power will be lacking, tho the little 1.5 ltr 4-cylinder will pull plenty hard to 6,000 rpm when asked to. My only wish is that these early Xb's had come stock, or factory optioned with cruise control. Ride and sound levels on freeways will be a bit harsh for some.

211,083 miles and STILL RELIABLE !!!
By George

2004 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is an update on my previous review titled. 140K Upright Go-Kart Written by George on 06/14/2008. This lil'car with lots of interior room is still super reliable. I have replaced normal wear items like tires, power steering/water pump belt and front brake pads. I change the oil and oil filter every 5k, air filter every 6mo. and transmission gear oil every year. I suck out the power steering and brake fluid with a turkey baster and refill every year. The xB is pretty good in the snow with all season tires, however, it's super stable and near impossible to get stuck with snow tires.

Reliability!!! Handling, stereo.

I still love it!
By GoldenOtter

2004 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I loved this car the first time I sat in it. The placement of the instruments, the amazing interior room, the outstanding visibility is great. I am 6'7" and have 6" head clearance as the driver and my 6'9" son can sit behind me without having his knees in my back or his head on the ceiling. I've been in quite a few different SUVs, and NONE have had as much room for 5 adults as the xB. My only gripe is the steering wheel does impinge on the leg room a bit, but that happens with virtually every car I've driven except large luxury cars. It handles well, and has a great feel for the road, though can be a bit of a rough ride if you are used to luxury rides. The storage space is minimal.

There are many, but the great visibility, sensible, but unusual instrument display and headroom are probably the top 3. Love the 30 mpg as well.

My biggest suggestion is to go back to the original design. the new ones seem to have lost some of the best features, though the storage room is improved.

140K Upright Go-Kart
By George

2004 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

140K and still tight! Handling is very nimble. Vehicle stability control works great in the snow when driving on snow and anybody spins out in front of you (or when deer shoot out from nowhere on dark rural wet roads like where I live. VSC compliments the ABS, EBD & TRAC control. The shape makes it look lower than what it actually is (measure it!). It has the same ground clearance as my Corolla). VERY good in snow I run all season tires all the way around and if the snow is substantial I'll lower the tire pressure on the front tires to 26lbs and it's super stable and tracks great. I'm impressed and I live in a very rural area with many hills (ski resort area in northern NJ).

Lots of room & handling. RELIABLE!!!

Improve it by bringing it back! I wish I had another one :(