Used 2001 Saturn L-Series Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used L-Series for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...10

Pros
Cons

If you buy this car, read this

hannabanana, 01/03/2013

There is a design flaw on the timing chain tensioner. Anywhere from 80k miles to 150k miles, it usually breaks. This is a 30.00 part. But if you don't know about it, and you don't fix it, the car will "jump time", and when this happens, it almost certainly will destroy the top part of your engine. This will cost about 2k to fix. If you own one, get it down to the shop and get that part changed. You will be sorry if you don't. In my town, the junk yard is full of these L series Saturns. They all look nice, but they are sitting there rotting. I had a S series, and it was the best car I ever owned. This L series, not so much!

Change your timing chain!

Mike S, 09/03/2006

I needed a new car, and heard a lot of good things from other Saturn owners. We took delivery of this car with just under 17k on the odometer. For the first 21/2 years it was a very reliable car. There were 2 recalls on this car and this was taken care of with no problems. We did oil changes and all suggested maintenance on time. One day I was driving to work and the car was acting a little sluggish but did not seem to be running rough or anything. I parked the car at work and when I came out it would not start. I had it towed to the deaer and was told that it was the timing chain and would cost $1100 to fix. Many other Saturn owners have had this problem at around 70 to 80k miles

Saturn Buyers Beware

troubled18, 04/11/2013

If your thinking of buying this model vehicle DON'T. Hands down the worst car I have ever owned. It WILL suck every penny you have out of you. These cars have the weakest commuters in any car I am aware of. Just change a battery, alternator, or just put a battery charger on it and you can burn out the BCM (Body Control Module). Diagnosing the problem will be the first problem then there is the $600 to replace it. Subframe built by SAAB with a curved muffler $400 for muffler only. Poor design on the oiler that keeps timing chain oiled+interferance motor=t-chain jump & replace motor, used $1000, new $2500. Heater fan,switch, and repair melted under sized connector in the dash $400. Just say NO

A Lemon!

var5592, 05/15/2011

Upon purchasing this car I found that the previous owner had replaced the engine. I heard of this engine having issues yet I doubted it would actually blow due to the list of issues that plague these engines. After one year of ownership, the engine blew due to a random rod busting through the block. The second engine only had 40,000 put on it upon purchase and then another 30,000 put on by me during the year. Awesome car besides the shoddy craftmanship.

Worst Car I Have EVER Bought

Tony, 03/27/2016
L100 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Worst Car Ever. Cons: Breaks worked great after I spent a lot of money to get them fixed. The windshield breaks very easily. The exhaust was horrible. The battery never held a charge, I bought three batteries. Headlights were very dim and break lights broke all the time. The tires went bald fast. Pros: Great gas mileage, plastic body, fairly cheap parts.

295k miles and still going

her_shey, 03/02/2014

I bought my Saturn L-Series with 63K back in 2007. She has been altered exterior with window tint, nice stereo and sound speakers/woofer and amp…which was installed in 2007 as well, and she still boomin'. Drives great, good on gas. All I replaced was the fuel pump, starter, tires & battery of course. She has 295k miles, and I really feel she will hit 300k. We just made sure the oil was changed, use synthetic oil 5/30, with good driving habits. You know I was just rear ended a few days ago, and she didn't budge…that bumper does wonders!! Still in tacked. We used interior parts from the salvage yard to make the inside look like new.

Mistake

jjavim, 08/05/2009

I bought this car thinking it was great. It was for about 1 yr then perpetual coolant leaks, alignment problems, electrical problems, never ending sensor problems, low mpg, hard to find parts, and expensive parts became the too often crisis. I love the feel and drive but trying to keep up with the mechanic's bill is too much to bear. My Toyota has never had a problem and is only a year newer. Beware of this model if you are not a mechanic or on a tight budget. I was going to give it to my daughter for school but I don't think we could afford it. Won't even qualify for Cash for Clunkers. I would have to give them money to take it.

I will never own another Saturn

planetside, 07/01/2011

I bought this car in 2004 with only 42,000 miles on it. It now has 165,000 miles and has given me nothing but problems since it hit 100,000. Replaced the heater core twice, water pump twice, oil filter, hoses, gas gauge doesn't work right now, and I've replaced multiple spark plugs. I had a Nissan before and it never had any problems at all besides basic maintenance and it had over 250,000 miles on it!!

Great Car

Greg Hayes, 08/21/2008

My L200 is really a fully dressed L300 except it has the 4 banger engine. We have had the dealer do all recommended servicing and other than a blown fuse and the normal the wear and tear items, we have not had any problems with this, our 5th Saturn!

Saturn L200 was a great car for me

dg, 08/23/2008

I bought this car used with an extended warranty. The 1st yr the computer system died, but the warranty paid in full. For the remaining 5 yrs. that I drove it, it was dependable and got decent gas mileage. I recently totaled it and was amazed my car sustained less body damage than the big Mercedes who hit me on the passenger side. Would definitely recommend the Saturn.

12345...10