Used 2018 Porsche Macan Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Macan for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Great SUV but it’s not perfect

Steve Morley, 09/03/2018
Sport Edition 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

The good:Great performance, good handling and very comfortable. The 18 way adjustable seats are excellent. Interior leather overall is high quality. Heated and cooled seats work great. Very low road noise and excellent sound system (I have the premium audio option). The interactive cruise control is a great option. Of course it looks great! The bad: The infotainment interface is poor. Just getting it registered with Porsche is a major headache. The navigation system data entry is useless. It seems the database is not fully updated. Difficult to find addresses and forget searching by point of interest. My 2011 BMW X5 was much better. No real time traffic information even thought it’s supposed to have this feature. The control switches for the info system are more VW than Porsche. Does not feel like it’s high quality. Air con is working OK but does not seem as powerful (cool down) as other cars I have owned. Just about good enough. The ugly: The layout of the switches and in the centre consul is confusing. Forget the buttons in the overhead consul while driving. Just can’t see them. The garage opener is hard to program. I managed to get it working but the instructions are poor. The dealer also tried but it did not work first time. The external temperature sensor is never accurate. Porsche say it’s something to do with the sensor location and you need to drive at least three miles for it to read properly. Never had a car like that! The parking system is very limited. Just a rear camera and audible sensors front and rear. No 360 degree camera. Last but not least the service cost. First service is just an oil change $800!. 2nd service (20,000) is an oil change and some filters $1,200. In three years normal service >$2,400. Since the motor is same as Audi and VW this is just over charging. I got my services included free of charge in the lease. Apple car play is included in the connect services. So to keep it after the first year it will cost $400 per year. Unfortunately more Porsche greed. Do I like the car. No. I love it. Best SUV from a drivers view point and it looks fantastic.

50,000 Miles

Gus, 12/22/2018
S 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 7AM)

After over 50,000 miles with no issues other than 10,000 miles services this is the best vehicle we have owned. Prior vehicles include Audi A7, Cayenne, Q5, Boxster S, MB SL 550. Yes, service costs can be high but most ordinary maintenance is in YouTube. I did the complete 40,000 mile service in the garage at a cost of about $500 vs dealer cost of $1,600. This is an excellent highway car which can cruise all day at 80+ MPH. In the city it leaves most in the rear view mirror. In summary, the car is a daily driver which delivers great fun like no other SUV. One caution...options can be very expensive, so beware!

Macan drives like the Cayman with more room

Patrick, 03/30/2018
4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

This car is very quiet, has excellent acceleration and handles like the Cayman (which I also own). This car replaced a 2017 Mercedes GL250 which I regret purchasing. Front seat comfort is exceptionally comfortable even for my 6’7” neighbor that went for a test drive (however, you wouldn’t want to be sitting in the rear seat behind him). Update 9-30-18: I now have more than 13,000 miles on the Macan, which is primarily used for business. I have not had any issues with the car whatsoever. Even though it’s the base model, the acceleration on the highway for passing is still impressive. Throttle response and grip from a standing start is excellent compliments in part to the all wheel drive. In contrast, the Mercedes GLA 250 was downright annoying; it required careful pressure on the throttle to avoid spinning the front tires and once in motion, the throttle steer was terrible. Porsche exceptional engineering eliminates these annoying factors. July of this year we took one of the grandkids with us on a road trip to the smoky mountains in North Carolina for a wedding. The car had plenty of room even with the plug in refrigerator in the back. Handling on the mountain roads, with a somewhat heavier load than normal, was superb. The 12 hour drive was very comfortable. We both love the seats and interior design. The lane change assist eliminates the blind spot and makes driving much safer and easier. The lane keep assist is something we both could live without, but when active, it’s a rather subtle sound so we’ve just learned to keep it on. I’ve had a few clients mention that “business must be good” when I arrive in the Porsche. My response is usually “don’t let the badge fool you, it’s cheaper than some pick up trucks.” Service: The 10k mile service at Champion Porsche is a pleasure and a striking difference from Pompano Beach Mercedes dealer across the street, which is terrible ( even the service manager doesn’t return calls). What I don’t like- I bought the factory roof racks (which I only install if I need to haul large items) and although they are easy to install and remove, they add considerable wind noise. Update April 1st 2019: The car now has more than 25,000 miles after 13 months. The enjoyment continues. My wife and I both love the handling and comfort of this car. In fact in February, we went to the Porsche 48 hours club race in Sebring; and instead of entering out Cayman in the autocross, we decided to run the Macan. Our goal was simple. We just wanted to see how well the car handled driving fast in a safe autocross environment. Again the Macan surprised both of us with its exceptional handling. At the end of the day we won first place in men’s and ladies stock class. And we drove faster than some 911’s, Caymans and too! The 20K mile service was about $1200.00 or so, which we expected, but could surprise a first time Porsche owner. That included all of the factory recommended service including windshield wipers. The tire wear is very good with no unusual wear. What we don’t like- the rear window and lift gate seems to collect more dust and dirt than other cars. The lift gate can sometimes be finicky when closing with the push buttons (one button closes the gate without locking and the other closes and locks the car). We learned the hard way to watch and make sure it closes all the way before driving away. Update 4-2-20 I now have about 44,650 miles on the Macan. No mechanical issues whatsoever. I did notice however after the 40k mile service the PDK transmission shifted smoother (they changed the transmission fluid) I had to install two new rear tires as a result of nails and I’m on the third windscreen. Road debris (I’m on the interstate highways often) caused cracks. I still love this little SUV.

You get what you pay for

Dave, 05/01/2018
S 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 7AM)

OK, other SUVs get slightly better gas mileage and a bit more cargo space. But, no SUV can touch the Macan S in drivability. It's very fast. Never any lean or lag. Great smooth ride, not bouncy. The steering is just right in effort and road hold and feedback. Braking is strong. Love the dry sump oil pumps that make the car quieter and accelerate better. Two turbos for extra torque and agility. I tested all the luxury SUVs and the Macan S immediately stood out. I was blown away when I drove it.

Fun, fast, comfortable

Lynn Fredericks, 09/16/2018
4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

Owned 3 mo/5k miles, daily driver. My office. Pros, comfort, ride quality, quiet, fast, handles amazing, easy in/out,fun. Can handle 2 iPhones simultaneously, WiFi good, initial fit finish is excellent. Cons. Porsche snobs (either think you are rich or look down their nose at it.) active advanced safety options not as good as last car.long learning curve, porsche does things different, learning how to accelerate with turbo lag. ( initially issue, but now after I got used to ok.) lack of in cabin storage. Ordering took 2 weeks to figure out. I am into cars and this is my first Porsche, and I now know why they are so loved. Last car was a nightmare, Jeep Grand Cherokee which basically cost what macan did, only kept 18 month. Didn’t want same problems so went for top of quality list this time. If something happens to macan would go order another one. I was given one of the models with bigger engines as a loaner, and prefer this little 4cyl., it is more nimble and plenty of acceleration. To The on line wanna be trolls, who told me to buy a Toyota, when I asked about daily use questions, I’m glad I didn’t listen to you, “flash” brings a smile to my face evert time I start her up!

Santa barbara to newport

Bshand, 03/09/2018
4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

Love this car. I have owned BMW's for 35 years, most recently a 640. I decided on the Macan and was going to get the S, but chose to load up with seats, executive package, stereo, 20" Sypder wheels, etc. The power difference between the Macan and the S, to me, was negligible. Think I'm a confirmed Porsche man....

Great car. Worth the price

Sligolad, 03/30/2019
S 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 7AM)

I’ve owned a Macan S for just over a year. Absolutely love it. I wanted a practical performance vehicle and have lusted over Porches for years. I haven’t been disappointed. Acceleration is fabulous but with a hint of turbo lag. Once the twin turbos spin up, look out. You can accelerate fom 70 to 110 in a few heartbeats. Handling is as I hoped it would be. All in all a great car. If you are concerned about fuel efficiency, buy a Honda. Update 4/1/2020. Absolutely no issues with the car.

Just crossed 40k miles

mark, 08/18/2018
S 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 7AM)

Purchased this vehicle 10/15 and have primarily used it for Hwy driving and touring with a couple of golden retrievers. The Macan is a sports car with a hatch, its not really a family car but can easily handle a girlfriend (if she's low maintenance) and a couple of 70lb pups. The interior is top notch, the base hi-fi is just fine, bluetooth and music (IPOD) connectivity are flawless. Seats (Porsche can rip you off here) need to be the middle package (Premium package) and stick with 19 tires... the 20's may look cool but wear faster and frankly just add to the cost IMO. I chose the sunroof and rails too... The ride: The car handles like a well behaved sports car (I also have a 997 C2S and 996 GT3) and can get you in trouble when going from 70 to 100 in a flash... its effortless. I also have an X5 and two X3's in the stable (kids and dog/beach mobile)... they're great trucks... the Macan ain't that. I'll buy again when this hits 150k and I give it to my daughter...

All around great vehicle

Nick, 08/18/2018
S 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 7AM)

Owned the Macan for 6 months and just finished a 2500 mile West Coast road trip. Winding 2 lane roads thru the redwoods were as much fun as long, flat, ‘see for 50 miles in all directions’, desert roads. The vehicle is a blast to drive. Average speed was 70 MPH. The biggest problem was keeping the speed below 110 while passing 18 wheelers - it quickly accumulates speed. Fuel mileage averaged 22 MPG for the trip. The Macan replaced a Cayenne S with 120,000 miles. While the Macan has a much smaller storage capacity, it is 100% more fun to drive. The fit and finish of the vehicle is of the highest quality.

Just switched

Matt, 08/16/2018
4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

Traded in 328i x drive. Nothing handles like a Porshe. Went on a road trip and did not want it to end. Every aspect is great especially going around turns.

Mecan S

Tom, 07/13/2018
S 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 7AM)

Know that this car is overall quite good. We purchased the car in Florida where roads are fairly smooth and there the car rode smoothly. In May we returned to Wisconsin where roads are very rough. Our car has 20" Spider wheels with Pirelli tires. The ride of the car in Wisconsin is very rough and quite noisy, as the road imperfections are transferred sharply through the suspension. Not very forgiving and very sport car like. Our second car is a BMW X3, 2018 as well. Day to night difference in the ride and smoothness on the road. Not totally dissatisfied with the Mecan S however I prefer to drive the Bimmer 10 out of 10 times.

2018 Macan GTS is the BEST

Trey, 12/21/2017
GTS 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 7AM)

Bought it sight unseen and no test drive. Of course, this is my fifth Porsche in 20 some years. The Macan GTS is unbelievable. Great handling, great mileage, drop it into sport plus mode and blow the doors off almost anything on the road.

My Macan S is better than I anticipated

Photo Man, 08/13/2018
S 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 7AM)

Work closely with your dealer as everything you must add is an option!

Grandpa thinks he's Johnny Dark

Richard Vaughn, 04/12/2019
Sport Edition 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

I love my new Macan, I had a 2016 and thought it was great until I drove the new Macan. This is the quietest vehicle I've ever owned and I've owned a bunch of them. I never thought I would drive a 4 cylinder car until I drove the new sports edition. Wow, what a 4 banger..Mighty fine ride as my dad would say and that was back in the fifties. Would I recommend this Porsche. Right as rain and living in Oregon I know a little about rain. Take the coast highway Cannon Beach down to Brookings and you'll be in heaven. Roads are twisty with high banks with the most beautiful scenery you'll ever see. It's a drivers dream. See you on the road.

Best Handling SUV on Planet Period.

Omegax, 09/17/2018
Sport Edition 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

Just owned Sport Model since last week put around 500 miles. Loved it. It seduce to drive more.

The Car with the ' Secret Handshake '

Dan expert of eXotics, 02/12/2019
Turbo 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl Turbo 7AM)

My Macon Turbo has had complete brake job at 3500 miles, almost nothing is intuitive or commonsense based. The wipers work poorly in mist, the Heat blower is unpowered, an Air vent constantly blows air in your face, the Bluetooth is of an archaic design and must be re-set to Your phone often, the Seats ' forget' to re-set, the trunk are can't hold golf clubs, the Lane change design is almost fatally dangerous in the Turbo with 20 Pirellis on, the ln-lane warning works sporadically, among other inexplicable failures. It takes a least 6 tries to get the electronic outside finger-touch door lock to work. Try it..! This Car is the 'Car with the Secret Handshake'. Nothing is straight forward or intuitive...Nothing ! This Car has one and only One feature that does not drive you angry...it can handle speeds up to 135 on the Pennsylvania Turnpike with almost no effort, Yes 135. The transmission is incredible and the only real reason to buy this car...is simply because... that transmission and the experience that you get from it in manual......You can't buy it anywhere else. Because if You could...I would. Avoid this Car. ...for any other reason... than going Really Fast ...in a very Fat Hatchback. Horrible car and I've had 10 Porsches over 40 Years. Horrible.

Terrific

L Taylor, 03/14/2019
4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

Have driven about 1000 miles in 3 weeks. Macan is quick, comfortable, quiet and fun to drive. Technology is reasonably intuitive.

Caution

RR, 10/24/2018
4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

If people need ApplePlay, they need to make sure the CAR has it installed. Later it would cost roughly $1500. Need to make sure to understand the engine cutoff when stopped in signals. Make sure to understand the panel indicators. Its hard to find the error details in the car.

Nice macan gts

Brian Chan, 09/21/2018
GTS 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 7AM)

I love this macan GTS as it just fit all my needs! Good handling, stylish, good power, enough space!

Porsche Purchaser

KS, 10/25/2017
S 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 7AM)

Great car. Great styling and handling. Excellent acceleration. Very comfortable seats.

Macan

Dad60, 01/15/2019

No issues...no problems.

Wow dude so Cali cool car.

Smokey, 09/15/2018

Wow dude Board on top off to the surf. So Cali cool dude

Fantastic Sporty SUV

Rich Miller, 06/09/2019
Turbo w/Performance Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl Turbo 7AM)

Excellent handling and smoothest small sporty SUV out there and I’ve tried them all. Love the air shocks which have easy selection from economy, sport, sport plus and even an off the road selection at your finger tips on center console. The pickup and ride are just out of this world in the version I have. I could go on and on but you just need to try it yourself. Very happy for a car that fits both the wife’s and my driving styles.

Neither here nor there

R black, 02/23/2020
Sport Edition 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

Too small to be at all practical as an suv, not really a sports car. Visibility is poor, way too many buttons on center console. That being said, it is really fun to drive!

51050