Used 2011 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Cool car
By Tom Lentz

2011 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Very reliable sporty car with very little issues. Roomy inside and comfortable seats

Transmission Failure!
By Jerry W. Van Allen

2011 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have a 2011 Nissan Maxima, and the CVT transmission has failed on the vehicle. I researched the web, to see if there were any other concerns with this type of transmission, and I found that from 2003 - 2010, a large range of Nissan vehicles had their warranty extended from Nissan, due to the CVT transmissions failing on the vehicles. Being that my vehicle is a 2011, their corporate office is saying that they will not assist me with repairing my vehicle, due to the vehicle being ONLY ONE (1) YEAR OUTSIDE OF THEIR WARRANTY EXTENSION ON SO MANY OTHER VEHICLES. Funny, there is an article listed on edmunds.com, on a 2011 Nissan Maxima CVT transmission failing him just after his warranty expiring (A 2011 MODEL). I am in the automotive industry and have a large influence in the Memphis area, so I am informing everyone that I know, to not ever buy a Nissan product, due to them not wanting to own up to their engine concerns and problems.

Not so sporty
By James Mitchell

2011 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This is a decent all round car which Nisson likes to advertise as sporty. The styling is so/so but the thing that really holds it back is the dreaded continuously

variable transmission (CVT) While having just shy of 300 horses the car is a major dog off the line. The CVT makes a loud howling sound but it lacks the snap of a

normal tranny. Additionally, handling is mediocore at best. I only kept the car through 20,000 miles but had no mechanical problems.

Great
By Lou

2011 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Great car. Shopping now for newer version.

48000 Transmission fail update
By Bernard

2011 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This is a beautiful car but I question the reliability of the CVT transmission. My car has 48000 miles on it, service as recommended no warning whatsoever the transmission failed the factory warranty expired 12-19-2015 the day before the transmission failed . Nissan tried to make me pay for the repair which was $4,500. I had to contact Nissan corporation and go to arbitration to resolve this matter after a time-consuming ordeal they agreed to fix the vehicle. I am Not sure if I'm planning on keeping this vehicle the CVT transmission is definitely a flawed design. I wish Nissan would stand behind their products I don't know if I would ever buy another Nissan product moving forward.
So I'm still driving the vehicle since the new transmission was installed. I have put 5496 miles on the vehicle since install and some days it concerns me. I'll keep you posted.