2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outlander PHEV model:

Dangerous Experimental Vehicle
By Warren

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GT 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid DD)

If you are considering purchasing a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV please look elsewhere. I purchased this vehicle because I consider myself a proponent of innovative green technologies. Furthermore, the promise of high mpg/gallon and a federal tax incentive helped me decide on the purchase. I've owned trucks, SUVs, hybrids, and sedans and all drive similarly due to standard controls. The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GT has moved to 100% electronic controls. This literally means no or little gears, buttons, or dials. The intuitive instincts of driving are not helpful as this is an entirely new experience. Most of this is annoying but you will adapt. Now I said dangerous and here is why. If you forget to unplug the car from the charger and push the reverse button a signal will appear on the dashboard alerting the driver to unplug the car. This puts the car in a pause state but you must push the PARK button; otherwise, after exiting the car, walking around to the passenger side, and unplugging the charger will result in the car spontaneously reversing without a driver. This happened in our garage and nearly killed my wife. The car was also damaged because it hit my house. Mitsubishi was unconcerned that a human life was in danger and said to file a claim with your insurance company for damages to the vehicle. For reliability, let's say you need to get gas. You go to the gas station to fill up. You push the gas door button to open the door (remember everything's electronic) and a message comes up on the instrument panel that says fuel system malfunction. I've never owned a vehicle that refuses to let me add gas???!!!! Since I didn't have enough gas to get the dealership and the dealership was concerned this was dangerous, I had my 5 month old car towed to the dealership for repairs. Turns out the car needed a software upgrade! Bottom line, in my opinion this car is not ready for sales and unethical Mitsubishi is using customers as Beta testers. Let me also say something about the gas mileage. It's going to get anywhere from 14-100mpg. Yes, 14 at the low end. If you take a long road trip expect to get around 50-100mpg for 20 minutes on the freeway then it will go lower and lower. The gas tank is very small too so you'll be filling up very frequently so this is not a good road trip or commuting car. The gasoline engine is completely pathetic and very inefficient which makes no sense to me. If you considering purchasing a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, just understand your buying an overpriced poorly tested software package and make sure you live close to a dealership because no one will else will know how to work on the car.

Disappointing Technology
By Joe M

I was excited about the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. It had everything I wanted, all the safety features, surround cameras, accident avoidance features. I was ready to sign on the dotted line. Then I learned it didn’t have an integrated navigation system. I have had integrated navigation in all my cars since it first was introduced. So, I convinced myself that I could live with navigation through the vehicle from my phone. The I learned that when you are using a navigation app on your phone, you cannot use any other apply play features in the vehicle. Come on Mitsubishi, what is up with that? I am even willing to pay for integrated Navigation but it is not even offered as an option. Very disappointing.

Outlander Replaces Highlander
By Jonathan Paul Quick

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV SEL 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid DD)

UPDATE:

We installed an L2 home charger for the Outlander at a cost of around $700. Home recharge times are now typically in the 2 - 3 hour range after a full day of driving. On my 64 mile round trip work commute, I am averaging 51 MPG. This vehicle is posting phenomenal MPG results far above the EPA average. Fuel efficiency is truly astonishing given the fact that the Outlander is a mid-size 4WD SUV with 63 cubic feet of space in the trunk.

We love this vehicle platform so much that I decided to trade-in a late model Hybrid sedan for a 2nd Mitsubishi Outlander SEL PHEV this weekend.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I've spent about a month driving the 2018 Outlander PHEV around 3000 miles around town and short road trips. This vehicle was purchased as a replacement for a 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited. Fuel efficiency has been well above the EPA combined rating. Our worst trip mpg to date was in the mid-thirties. Recharge times with the included 110v wall charger are usually around 5 hours. CHADEMO charging is available in < 20 minutes, but high local rates at area charging stations make this implausible as part of a daily commute. As a daily driver, the vehicle offers all of the creature comforts available from pricier rivals coupled with rock solid build quality. Front and rear passengers are coddled in the quiet cabin, which is free from squeaks, rattles, and jostling over rough roads. Vehicle infotainment controls are logical and easy to operate while driving. The audio system with integrated subwoofer and HDRadio support should satisfy most audiophiles. Modern safety features such as blindside monitoring and collision avoidance perform flawlessly. Outward visibility is excellent and the rear backup camera makes parking a breeze. The powertrain provides adequate acceleration with only a muted groan on heavy acceleration. 4WD is available if needed. Braking distance is at par for the class. Handling feels more truck-like than most crossovers. The climate control system outperforms pricier rivals. Cargo capacity and passenger space easily outclasses comparably price rival SUVs. Although many vehicles are now sold with embedded modems that enable remote features, the Outlander is limited to WiFi connectivity with cellphones. Many features such as remote start/stop, lock / unlock, and climate controls are controllable via cellphone, but inaccessible unless owners are with 10 - 20 feet of the vehicle. At roughly $26k after the federal tax credit, the Outlander offers a tremendous value for the price when compared with rivals from Toyota, Honda, and domestic manufacturers. I would strongly recommend that prospective SUV buyers take a test drive to see why the Outlander PHEV has been the #1 PHEV SUV in Europe for the last 5 years.

Good size car, incredible milage at this point.
By Ben

Bit of noise and vibration when gas motor starts to charge battery. So far I have driven 745 miles on 1/2 tank of gas.

Test drive before you buy
By Mike

Pros: quality materials, enormous cargo space, good pricing after incentives. Cons: sluggish acceleration, not enough front leg room for a tall person, very limited battery range