Used 2003 Mitsubishi Galant Consumer Reviews - 128 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mitsubishi Galant Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Galant model:

Still going strong
By Marie

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

2003 pearl white mist. galant ES. I bought this car new. Only had 8 miles when drove it off the dealer lot. Today Aug 2017 has over 335k miles. Minor repairs like battery, starter a fuse here and there. It has never been wrecked and the paint is still great. I get so many compliments on a nice looking car and most can't believe it's as old as it is. The timing belt was not changed till around 250k plus miles only because it was showing some wear. It has never been to a repair shop for any work. My son graduated Nascar Institute and he's the only person to do any work on my car. Oil change every 3k miles. Best fuel economy car ever owned. Most miles are highway since i can put over a hundred a day at times. By end of this yr expect to have 350k plus on it.

Going to run this into the ground
By Kelcie

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Mitsubishi Galant in 2013 with 70,000 miles on it. I just passed the 150,000 mile mark and wanted to just praise my Galant for making it this far. I have made one cross-country road trip in this baby, a trip to Death Valley and countless day trips. I've had a lot of mediocre cars and this used car has by far, given me the most bang for my buck. Since getting the car, I have had to replace my battery/starter, and my AC died on my cross country trip (replaced for $600 in the heat of August somewhere in Texas...eeks). I replaced the radiator on it, and replaced the brakes. I know this SOUNDS like a lot, but I consider this car to be the perfect vehicle for me. Prior to my move, I was driving around 80 miles a day on it. After the move, I'm still putting about 40 miles a day on my commute, and it just keeps hanging in there. This car has also weathered two bullet holes in my back panel from a random drive by in LA. I've never had any engine or transmission problems, which I consider to be the real risks of a used car. I plan on running this car into the ground, and believe with regular maintenance I can get to 200K easily, and 250K if I am really really nice to it. :)

Love hate relationship
By yuuuup

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

bought it in 2008 with 39,000 mi., now has 160,000. A/C was clogged twice, heater door became stuck, and that's about it. I ride this bitch like a beast at an AVERAGE 80 mph on the freeway. The biggest issues are the maintenance issues that arise, such as the recurrence of misfires which can potentially damage your catalytic converter if not assessed ($900). This car is tough like a honda and can potentially be just as reliable at the cost of good maintenance. change the timing belt every 50-60 k miles. change the tran fluid every 40 k miles MAX! Make sure you put in luxury fluids, like amzoil, and mobil one. on my benefit, i bough it used with nearly new miles. used with high miles is iffy.

With good maintaining I have served this bi-t-ch, the engine itself and the transmission as a whole have pulled there weight. many people complain about their cars and how they start messing up, but behind that curtain, they may not be keeping up with their cars, and if they are, its as common as Haily's comet passing by earth. another factor, what may seem chaper, will become costly in the end. castroil, penzoil, and all that bottom of the barrel junk just dont cut it. JUUUUST SAYING YO! in general, my car gets a 10 out of ten for never leaving me stranded to this day: now over 11 years old!

im not one to cry over spilled milk, so the whole back seat too small issue done sailed away a long time ago. As well, this car is now discontinued as of 2013 and on. I will say, the sheet metal is not too sturdy, the interior in general feels semi-compact, despite the comfortable seats. the cars engine ticks when its in park, and is a trend based on others i have heard in these cars. gas mileage is mediocre. premium gas may help this issue, along with longevity.

Transmission Problem
By richie6

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

BEWARE OF MITSUBISHI GALANT TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS
(2003 for me)

I learned the hard way from a excellent transmission shop about the flaw in my 3.0 V6 model with 4 speed automatic where these where a 'clip' deep inside the tranny breaks! This shop used to keep several extra trannys in the shop fully expecting to have customers come in for this very issue. He told me about it before he even opened it up and proved it to me!
These broken pieces, for one scenario, end up in the pump causing your tranny to fail and needs to be rebuilt. One main sympton is it will not go into any gear! Sometimes you hear the rattling as you run it.

Get newer kit if you rebuild it!

Almost Bulletproof
By du8y4

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Galant 2.4ES in 2005 with 54,000 miles on it for $8900 because it was all I could afford at the time and I'm anti-Honda. Good gas mileage, snappy for a 4cyl. After delivering Pizza's full time for several years and going on multiple trips to Yellowstone, it now has 235,000 on it. The only thing major was replacing the timing belt at just over 200,000. I will say also that it can get up the the 120mph that the speedometer says it'll go. (it just takes a while)

Reliability! Roomy up front

Heat/ac valve likes to fail. No biggy if you know where to tap under the dash.