Used 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews - 197 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Great First Car!
By draconiccrypt

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Loved this car. As a high school teenager who never knew how to maintain a vehicle, I ran this car to the ground. Never gave it an oil change until after about 70k miles. All I did was add more oil to it when the light came on. I've learned since then lol. Although... I never had any issues with it within those miles. Finally blew a gasket after 300,000 miles due to a water pump leak I didn't know about (more behind that reason) and had to get rid of it as it was unbelievably expensive to repair. This car will last a lifetime if you take care of it, I guarantee it.

Reliable and Fun to Drive
By Chris

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new in 2003 and as a first time buyer I didn't do my homework before hand. This car might look fast but the acceleration is slow it did a little better when in sportronic shift mode. The interior was small especially the backseat and the materials didn't look quality made. I did like the exterior look of the car and I got quite a few compliments on it. I have to admit I had fun driving it and did a lot of road trips. It's also very reliable for the 8 years that I owned this car I put over 150K miles with no issues. Would I ever buy an eclipse again probably not and I can see why Mitsubishi no longer makes them.

Great Car
By Zach

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Just dont drive the car to the ground, have fun

A great car that seems to last forever. . .
By John Griffith

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

What can I say about this car? It has been an excellent and fun daily driver for the past 14 years and is still going strong. I have owned it since new and it has never let me down. Oh sure there was an occasional flat or dead battery but those are maintenance items. Keep up with the maintenance on it and it wont have any problems. I don't think the car has ever actually failed. It always starts right up no problems, when the battery was good that is. I've gone through oh 4-5 batteries on it. 5 timing belts and one transmission. The transmission? yes that did eventually fail . . . at ~320,000 miles! I don't really think of that as a failure, just wear and tear. It was worn out. The guy working on it said he had never seen such wear. Even in that state It didn't leave me by the side of the road. I was able to drive it to a shop, it was just acting funny, like taking 5 seconds to shift. Even so, 320K miles for a transmission is hard to beat in any car. I have no complaints. I'm not kidding this car has 377 thousand miles on it. Original engine, and never been overhauled. It did have lifter tick (very noisy) at 220K but I replaced the lifters (lash adjusters), which is a job you can do just under the valve covers, and it has not been an issue since. Overall I'd say the build quality of the car is super high given the longevity I've gotten out of it. There is very little rust on the car too. The ride is solid and smooth as can be, even at interstate speeds. Just keep it aligned and replace the shocks when they are due. Again maintenance. I trust this car as my daily driver to get me to work every day. The engine is still strong and can still accelerate hard when I need it to. It still gets 26-27 miles to the gallon if you aren't a lead foot. If you keep it maintained this car will last a long time. It does lack a bit in the radio department compared to today's radios but still sounds great. What the radio doesn't do is bluetooth or have an aux input or navigation. If you want all that you can upgrade it easily as it is a standard 2-din (size) radio. All the stock speakers save one are still in it and sound great. The only speaker to fail me was the one in the center of the dash and that was due to direct sunlight and age drying out the cone. If you disconnect that speaker however you really don't miss it. I do think I will need to eventually overhaul the engine, one day, I'm not deluding myself there. Just not tomorrow. The last shop I had it at told me the compression is still good and within factory spec. It is starting to leak/burn oil though. What else can I expect from it . . . it is positively ancient in miles. I suspect the valve stem seals are the cause, I never replaced them. . Again I have no complaints, it has held up so well over the years that if it is only now in need of that after all those miles, I'll just smile and pay some shop to fix it. Its better than a new car payment and this car still looks good. Most people never guess that it has that many miles on it unless I tell them and they they do a double take and still don't believe it. I get it a lot from the shops that service it. One last thing, don't ever skip an oil change and don't put anything less than premium in it. I put mid-grade 89 in it ONCE back in 2005 I think. . . never again. The mileage dropped to about 20 MPG and it ran like a PIG. I shudder to think what 85 would have done. I saved 10% cost on the gas (30 cents on 3$) but had to use 35% more gas to get where I needed to be (27 vs 20 mpg). It is counter intuitive to some, but you actually save money using the premium gas. That and the car will behave better and actually pass other cars when you need it. Use the gas it was designed to use.

2003 eclipse
By Vicky

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car brand new in 2003 n it still runs GREAT! It's a problem free car only had to do minor things in the thirteen years I've owned it. Tires oil changes belt extra. The little things. I love my car after all these years!