Used 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

16 Years & still in Love
By Steve O.

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm the original owner, the tranny went at 120,000. I don't know why. I didn't beat it at all. Had a used transmission put it with 55,000 miles for $3000. I have 45,000 miles on the replacement tranny. I had the water pump & the timing belt & serpentine belt replaced around 130,000. The replacement water pump went in it in 2 years. I had an aftermarket water pump & it failed in a year & a half. I had another one put in it & it failed in 5 months. It was under warranty & had it replaced again. I had the EGR valve replaced & all the sensors replaced. After the EGR valve the performance picked way up & is running like new. I have 168,000 miles on her. I have no rust despite living in Wisconsin. The shocks for the hatch went bad a while ago, just too lazy to get them replaced. I had to replace the radiator at around 145,000 miles. The moon roof doesn't work due to lack of use, I assume. My struts need replacing but holding off on that. Reliable car except for the tranny issue. I still blow away other sport cars when they wanna try me. My 1st headlight finally went out 2 months ago...15+ yrs with the same headlights...pretty cool.

Eclipse GT 5 sp mt
By rx8rotary04

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

this was my first 5 sp mt car. it was a blast to drive for a first semi sports car. the handling was fantastic as well as the power (for what it is). a buddy of mine has the same car with not many major issues but i on the other hand got the lemon of all eclipses. bad belt bad motor mount bad tranny mount bad ebrake cable and many other things. before i sold it something would clunk and make the whole car feel as if it was about to fall into pieces but no one could figure out what it was so i had to sell the car and take a huge loss.

handling, speed, comfort, design, color

plan on (more then likely) replacing many parts before the car even hits 100,000 miles (and im not talking about the basics, spark plugs, coils, belts, etc) cheap parts used to make the car, but hey, it is what it is.

Fun while it lasted, sort of
By dudeitstopher

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

All sorts of electrical issues, coil packs blown, ECM, replaced water pump + timing belt + tensioner + radiator + thermostat to have a persistent overheating issue. The car itself was reliable for periods of time but when it would break, it was always expensive. Found a very low-price garage and had all of the work done there, reputable mechanic in my community but the car kept breaking down. I'm going to part ways with it since the computer died and continues to blow fuses causing the car to stall and lose power WHILE driving. Very dangerous. Clean record on the car, unfortunately whoever owned it before me abused the car. I'll miss her, kind of.

Comfortable, adequate power, decent handling, and the gas mileage wasn't bad.

Build quality, the dash falls apart on every other 3G eclipse. Motor mounts are prone to failure, coil packs are a known issue, transmissions tend to die earlier than most cars, and the computers are very sensitive. Very rarely will you find one without an engine light on. Don't buy this "import" made in America, mainly designed by Chrysler. It's a strange breed with gremlins waiting to appear in it's later life.

Good Car Overall but had minor issues
By luke12321

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2006, it had around 45k on it.

I drove the car for about 100k miles when I owned it.

First, the car says to run premium only but I never did.
I ran regular in it the entire time and it never gave me any issues.

Issues with car:
Replaced 02 sensor, transmission was making a clicking noise, but never gave me any issues.
Sunroof gave me trouble with jumping, jerking, really rough to open.
I just stopped using it soon after buying it.
Back hatch would not stay up when opened.
Dash is cheap, it was cracked when I bought it.
Wasn't starting well, I didn't want to deal with any longer so I sold it.

Glad I owned it, good car and low maintenance.

Power Design

Rear Visibility terrible Sunroof slides too rough Dash cheap Speaker in dash cheap, blown up not playing that loud.

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS
By japanesewerkz

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car with 130k as a second owner. If your paint is black, it has been recalled. Luckily mine was well taken care off so I was able to use a clay bar and some ultra compund. The rims are also made by chrysler so they will rust. Other than that, this car is mechanically in great shape. It runs perfect, sounds good and just looks sexy. Mine has 152k and has just needed regualar maintainence. If you keep it up to date, then it will run. Ive seen many of these 4 cylinders hit 250k and still run great. Engine mounts and tranny are common things to replace a bit earlier than usual, other than though it runs and wont leave you with an empty pocket. Fuel econ. is decent though.

I love this cars shape. Its very sexy and turns many heads, even though its a 10 year car. The interior is quite modern and still fits in with todays cars. The four cylinder isnt the fastest, but still does a very good job. There are also many aftermarket parts out there for this car. Throw on some rims and people will watch you drive away.

They need a better paint job. Its been recalled for the color black. Also the dashboard WILL crack?!? I use armor all to protect it and it still ended up happening to me. The suspension is also soft. Its great on a long ride, but the age demograpic for this car is people in there 20's. I know its not a sports car, but even the the previous model eclipse gst has a better suspension. The Eclipse just in general sits a little to high than it should. Overall I do love this car and tlc it every weekend, but some of those things that we wouldnt expect to become a problem end up being a problem. This car is really great. Just take care of it as any other car and it will run for you and pay you back