Used 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

My 96 Eclipse
By 96eclipse

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback

I got my car just over 2 years ago,it had just over 113,000 miles on it.I now have 129,800 on it and it runs perfectly.I don't know why people say the millage is ok,I think its wonderful I'm getting 28 in town and 36 on the Highway.I also realized by adding a bit of methanol to the fuel I get another 5 miles to the gallon.
My 96 is as economic as any of these newer cars,and bigger too.And only has a 2.0 liter motor.The key to millage is a good cold air intake!Also a good Cat back exhaust system.

Wide open interior,the outside design,how it handles the curves,and my favorite the Sun roof.

More cup holders,a second Cigarette lighter in the rear,Factory dark tint.

Eh..
By ryanr

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback RS 2dr Hatchback

I bought this 3 years ago, after a nice woman wrecked my last car for me by driving into the front of me. Yes, it looks amazing, the design is sleek and smooth and definitely the best year for the Eclipse. 5 Speed non-turbo 2.0L DOHC is okay. 140hp FWD.. as mentioned in plenty of reviews, the rotors are horrendous. I have so much shaking I cannot stand it right now. I must have bought this at a horrible time in the life of the car (about 89,000 miles) as CV axles, lower control arms (as well as the tires the axles and arms ate through) ate me alive at about 100,000. It can get out of its own way, but not really anyone else's. Gas mileage is only okay for I-4. A good get-to-work or schooler.

Body, decent stock audio system, handling is not bad for a FWD, good top speed.

Brakes, seat comfort (front AND back), overall ergonomics, overall reliability (stupid mopar/chrysler/dodge garbage).

Fun Long Lasting Durable Vehicle
By Juan St Charles

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback RS 2dr Hatchback

My Eclipse is an RS with the 2 liter 420A engine, 5 speed, A/C, manual windows, and rear defroster. The 420A (2.0) non-turbo engine sounds good, performs excellent, and gets good mileage. Vehicle is cool looking and fun to drive. Make sure maintainence was performed every 30K mi including the timing belt at every 60K mi. Mine has been very reliable with minimal cost to operate.

The A/C comes on strong and blows cold. The engine sounds good in the higher RPM range. The shifter is rally car precise. The seats have height and tilt adjustments for the perfect driving position.

At 138k miles the rear main seal of the engine began to leak. The culprit I was told was that the EGR valve was designed too small on these engines, which built engine pressure up enough to blow the seal. My Eclipse was always maintained timely and properly.

Good Commuter Car
By mike

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

My wife bought this car new in '96 and it has been seeing less use through the years (only 71000 miles), but still runs strong and is very reliable. It gets excellent gas mileage.

The styling looks better than the new ones to me.

The cabin is very small, especially if you are over 6 feet tall. The power sunroof takes away from much needed headroom.

Fun to Drive, Very Very Fuel Efficient
By spinhill

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback RS 2dr Hatchback

I got an Eclipse RS from a guy from Chicago who considerd the insurance in Toronto to be insane. The exterior of the car is in satisfactory condition and I accepted the price of $5,000 CAD. However, I had to get the safety test done myself which cost me about $350 CAD. The door lock on the driver's side must be changed and it needs a new day time runing light control system installed to comply with the Canadian traffic regulations. Otherwise, the car is in good shape, according to my mechanic.

The RS with rear spoiler looks very nice and the girls really like to share a ride with me. The engine is terrific and with a manul transimission and a lot of sliding on N gear over downside slops, I can achieve 100 miles with 10 liters of gas. This fact dumbfunded my colleagues driving Civics.

ABS is optional but my Eclipse RS does not have it. When I made an aggressive pass over and tried to brake firmly ( from 45 MPH to 10), the car swung considerably.