Used 1998 Mercury Sable Wagon Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Sable for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Was Good, Then A Moneypit

londonlad1, 08/18/2014
LS 4dr Wagon

A horrible aberration. Previous Fords, even oldies have been rock solid. I paid $2300 for this, 1 owner, full history 73k on the clock. Was great for a year, then it started to mug me on a regular basis for repair money. $1200 (steering rack), $300 (water pump) $170 (serpentine belt & tensioner) $600 (2 wheel bearings) $500 (front calipers & pads) $100 (EGR valve and perished vacuum hoses - did that myself) $300 (removal of throttle body & cleaning clogged air intakes, $1200 (aircon evaporator) $1200 (aircon compressor) and $100 (headlamps, did those myself) What was a bargain has cost me a fortune. Next time, I'll buy an old Jag. At least I'll go broke in style. Update; two years after writing this, I still have the Moneypit. I spent another $500 on a fuel pump and $200 on rear calipers rotors and pads. I'd love to get rid of it, can't afford to. Still wish I'd bought a Jag and gone broke in style. Update, six years on, I still have the moneypit. It's behaved itself over the past two years. Only reason I haven't replaced it is that I can't affordd to.

Great family car - exceeds minivans

bampam33, 05/25/2005
LS 4dr Wagon

Previously owned by a family member, our large family thoroughly enjoys this car. With the 3rd seat, we get the "feel" of a minivan without the outrageous gas costs. Extremely comfortable and adaptable to drive...kids love it too.

LS Wagon

scotty5484, 05/16/2002
LS 4dr Wagon

Everyone laughed at me when I traded my 5 litre mustang on this wagon, but everyone now wants to borrow it. It has become the neighborhood 'mule'.

Good on service

John, 04/12/2010
LS 4dr Wagon

I bought this wagon with 98K and I have about 175K now. I had some problems with the emissions control, brakes and tires, normal stuff. Just recently I brought it in because it was running a little rough. The station called me a few hours to say if needed a tune up, so OK. I did not tune it since I bought the car, so I though that was pretty good. As it turns out, I had original plugs in the car. 175K miles before it's first tune up! Not bad and still going strong.

Best car i have owned

Lorene Filgerleski, 04/12/2019
LS 4dr Wagon

My husband and i bought the 1998 mercury sable new in 1997. Sincethen it has been trouble free other than normal expected repairs and maintenance. If the sable was still in production today i would buy another . There is so much room and i think 21 to 24 miles per gallon is pretty good for the size of the car. We love our sable.