Used 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Marquis model:

Wish Me Luck!
By Daniel V.

2003 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan LS Premium 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Just got the 2003 Merc GM LS ! Ol man Harvey around the corner bought it new in 03, pink slip was in it,, $30,000. He kept it in the garage,,,always, and he is a snowbird who never drove in winter. 86k on it, and all bells n whistles working, leather interior is mint. One ding in the trunk. Never saw a 15 year old car so clean. He was 70 now 85 and sad to let it go. For 2 Grand i feel that i freaking scored!!! I did. Never had luck with used cars, but in the 90s i had a Merc Capri 5.0 and i loved that car,,totaled it,fck! So after reading all the reviews, and for that price i had to take a shot. Drives great, its a V8 so i wont cry about the gas, but i am expecting for Good Times to Roll ! I'll keep ya posted. Wish Me Luck! Dan

Lovin it
By Michael

2003 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan LS Premium 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this car from a local dealer and it had belonged to a "lil ole lady". had 93K miles on it and looked like new inside and out. Paid $3900 for it and feel for the car it is I made a good buy. Rides very well even with installing 18inch GT Mustang wheels with 235/50/18 tires. Looks really sweet and rides like a cloud. I wonder why they stopped producing this car.

Best for occassional or "Sunday driving"
By Whitney S

2003 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan LS Premium 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this off of my Great Uncle (what a stereotype, but seriously) and it served me well for about 6 years, but after 120k miles the car just went to pieces. Heat went, $500 fix. AC went, I didn't bother because they quoted me $500-ish again. Ignition coils failed on me twice in the first 3 years, another few hundred dollars to fix each time. Now the intake manifold gasket is wrecked due to leaking antifreeze and made worse with rain (which my mechanic couldn't suss out for months because it wasn't throwing error messages through the machine), which fried one of the cylinders - parts are about $400 alone. Only 145k miles on it and it is just falling to pieces. Not to mention since the car is rear-wheel drive, even the barest hint of snow or mud made it slide like crazy. Even with the best studded tires and weight in the trunk, this car could NOT keep a hold on the road in anything but sunny conditions. Gas mileage, even mostly highway, wasn't all that great. Not the worst, but certainly not cheap to keep filled. It wasn't all bad, though - very smooth drive, lots of punch and power (especially uphill - nobody cut me off!), incredibly, deliciously comfortable seats up front and in back, tons of storage space, and very classy-looking. It may have an image as a casual, classy "Grandpa car," but it should be a compliment. The car is comfortable and lively, but has frequent nickel-and-dime repairs and should be kept off the road in bad conditions.

I CANT LET MY BABY GO
By KELL BELL

2003 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan LSE 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I absolutely love my 2003 Grand Marquis I bought is at 99,000 (12/2012) and now it’s at 216,000 (9/2015). This car goes form FLINT, MI TO PONTIAC, MI 5 days a week (410 miles just driving to work ) and I party on the weekend driving from PONTIAC MI to DETROIT MI 3X A MONTHS (180 miles of partying the big city ).
I have had to replace my axle seals twice once in 2012 and then in 2015. I had to replace my intake gasket in 2014. I got my first tune up 2015 and the shop said I still didn’t need to tune it up but i just did it because it’s beens over 100,000 since I bought the car. This car is a beast I have had a total of 11 cars in my life but this car is the best. I’m going to drive my car until 2016 then buy another car but I’m keeping my 2003 Grand Marquis. I CANT LET MY BABY GO

Requiem For the Last True American Car
By ftupka

2003 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan GS 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Grand is the Mercury Grand Marquis' middle name; this car is apologetically the last true American car on the road. While other vehicles rely on technology and styling that fades, the Marquis uses its heft and V8 engine to isolate you from the rest of the world. The quiet and smooth engine in my car has been trouble free even after 12 years. The transmission makes the most of the 224hp with the aid of Mercury's Precisontrac limited slip rear axle. Combine this with the last full frame in a sedan and the soft leather bench seats and you have a car that can easily carry five people (six when necessary) anywhere in solid comfort. Don't waste your time reading "enthusiast" reviews, just buy it!

The best features of the MGM are its build quality, comfort, and V8 power. At 71k miles, my Marquis has been very trouble free. The design of this car is salt of the earth basic, so those very rare repairs are easy and inexpensive when necessary. I feel confident taking my car long distances without worry. The comfort of this car is amazing. After a long day at work, I love sinking into the soft leather seat. The ride is so soft and handling so easy that you will forget there is a road under you. The Grand Marquis is a personal reward that coddles you all the way home. This V8 isn't going to win any drag races. It will confidently pull you along the interstate with quiet authority.

Ford needs to get a clue and bring this car back. Car shoppers need to forget the ridiculous reviews enthusiasts magazine write about these cars. Do yourself a favor and take one for a test drive. You'll realize your only mistake has been driving anything else.