Used 2016 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sprinter model:

One BAV (Big Awesome Van)
By Brett

2016 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van 2500 144 WB Passenger 3dr Van (2.1L 4cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

If you are looking for a full sized van you should really consider the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter. I've had this van for almost a year and I have almost 20,000 miles on it. I like to drive it mostly on regional road trips but I've been to PA and back from NV. The gas mileage is decent for such a large vehicle. I've gotten as high as 25 mpg on longer road trips but usually average about 22 mpg. Don't be intimidated by the Sprinter's size. My wife almost started to cry when she saw how big it was. It has the same top-down footprint as a full size truck. It's just way taller. And easier to maneuver (I think). It holds just about anything inside. Because it has 12 seats the payload is 2900 pounds. That's more than some full sized trucks. The Sprinter has decent acceleration (I have the 4 cylinder engine) off the line but lags a little accelerating from 60-80 mph (don't judge, there are highways out west that have 80 mph speed limits). Mercedes governs the Sprinter's top speed at 82 mph. I've heard 85 but I can't go faster than 82. This is a good thing. It drives and handles like a truck and the fanciest thing about it is the logo on the grill. The A/C is decent and the entertainment system will suffice. Overall, it's a well built vehicle that can haul just about anything you can fit inside it.

lemon, lemon, lemon
By lemon

2016 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van 3500 144 WB Cargo 3dr Van w/High Roof (2.1L 4cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

Aibag red light is on all the time, the sliding door has a plastic chain to Carry the electrical wire. the chain is crack and the electric wire is destroyed. the door doesn't closes properly. the second shift is getting stocked when you drive slow/cold. getting in to high rpm for 3rd shift. 4 months old van with 10.000 miles.
Airbad issue repsired by dealer and also sliding door chain.
2 ND shift is still an issue. It's been reported and I'm paying extended warranty.

Very disappointing
By John Wood

2016 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van 3500 170 WB Cargo 3dr Ext Van w/High Roof (2.1L 4cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

We bought the Sprinter 3500 brand new in 2016 with LTV RV Serentity motorhome. On our first extended vacation we have had 2 breakdowns. We travelled from Florida to Colorado for the first half of the trip and the engine blew an oil seal in Montrose, Colorado going up a long grade. Oil covered the engine and body of the vehicle. This was repaired, although oil continued to leak for several more days (residual on vehicle body). Three weeks later, the engine lost power and would only run at 10 to 15 MPH on I 90 heading toward Butte, Montana. We almost lost our lives when this happened. We were able to drive it into Missoula, Montana to the dealership. The next day, service said there was a wiring harness problem and they ordered new parts overnight, but don't expect to have the vehicle repaired for 2 days. We called Mercedes customer care for assistance with trip interruption expenses. We were told that the Sprinter line of vehicles is specifically excluded from their concierge customer care program. So here we are...on vacation, stranded in Missoula and unable to continue to Glacier National Park.. our dream destination and we are stuck with unplanned expenses and non reimbursable reservations. We know that all vacations have to come to an end, but never would I have guessed that Mercedes would be the cause of that. It is really so sad that a once great vehicle manufacturer could become so bad and that they could care less about you as a customer.

18 months and 37000 miles - Bought New Cash.
By I got a LEMON

Vehicle has been in to Schumacher Mercedes in Scottsdale more than 6 times since it hit 20k miles. ESP Failure. Excessive play on the Steering. Gears Slamming into wrong gear. This van is literally killing my business with how unreliable it has become. I bought the van Brand New and since it hit 20k miles it has been in 6+ times for the same repairs. Can anyone say LEMON? I am currently waiting patiently for a Mercedes Benz USA Buy back - getting ready to hand this over to a lawyer to handle while MB USA drags their feet slowly. This Van is the most expensive work van I have ever owned and it's been a HUGE disappointment. Steering column has been replaced with multiple electronic modules and most of the time I'm limping around to my jobs in limp mode with the check engine light on. Go in for warranty repair and a week later the Check Engine and ESP Failure lights are back on. I HATE THIS VAN - it's GARBAGE!!! Buyer Beware. Still struggling with Check Engine Light every 1,000 miles. Vehicle goes back in to dealer this next week for fix number 15 CHECK ENGINE light.

Too darn complex
By lo ko

2016 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van 2500 144 WB Crew 3dr Van (2.1L 4cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

The owner's manual says to read it BEFORE driving your new van(the sales folks won't tell you that) .It'd take you a couple days to do that.This is one complex machine & the poorly written manual only makes it worse.Had I read it 1st I wouldn't have bought this van. I get 24.4 mpg ,have only 800 miles on it so far and have driven it only in snowy,mountainous country.It is so complex I don't like to drive it.Am a retired(for 20 years) fireman with a lot of diesel fire truck experience but this MB diesel is a different animal. I did put nokian snow tires on it & they work well.Mine is a 2 wheel drive.I have a 2000 GMC all wheel drive van that I will never,ever get rid of,it's reliable & SIMPLE.