Used 2017 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used S-Class for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Too much, too often

Walter, 09/08/2019
S 550 4dr Sedan (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 9A)

The qualifier. I have had almost everything, Cadillac, Jaguar XJL, Rolls Royce, Lincoln, BMW, Lexus and Infinity and several Mercedes - all the upper end models. This 2017 S 550 has to go into the shop too often and costs too much. Brakes and rotors, $2,400, windshield wipers $200, tires (9 of them) at $438 because the run flats bubble when you hit a bump. Engineers say it is because of Houston streets. I ask you, if you buy a $110,000 car in Houston, where do they expect you to drive it? They should designate different tires and solve the porblem. Left turn signal cornering light, $3,567.00, you have to replace the entire assembly. Steering wheel got stuck in the up and extended position. I felt like I was driving a Metro Bus until I got it in the shop. Satellite system went out and had to be replaced. Console retracting door gets stuck. It really goes on and on. Some of it covered under warranty and some of it not but you still have to take it in. I am stuck in a lease until March of 2020 and that will be the last Mercedes. Captain of Industry or Captain Dummy? I can afford it, but I just can't deal with it. Sometimes I think they count on us putting up with that nonsense. It is my fault for buying one, but never, I mean never again. Rolls Royce and Lexus do much better.

Handles better than our 2008 E550

Ken Mackintosh, 11/11/2017
S 550 4dr Sedan (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 9A)

Expensive, but superior ride, handling, quiet, and very responsive, faster and better MPG than our 08 E550! Many features, finding out more as we drive the car. We were blown away with the self setting clock, the previous Mercedes clocks, tedious when changing time. A truly superior automobile, although I do miss the bullet proof paint of old, the new paint being water based is not as durable.

CHEAP MADE GERMAN CAR

CHARLES, 06/08/2019
AMG S 63 2dr Convertible AWD (5.5L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

After 22,000 miles, engine oil leak , software problem for a/c, stereo, and navigation system. The engine compartment is so tight,it generate so much heat which cause plastic,electric,and rubber parts to fall apart faster. This will also cause much,much,much more labor cost for consumers. The top plastic engine cover cracked when trying to remove it. The over head display for mph and direction was blur. The Cadillac is much better. To use air condition, it not simple. To turn off the fan, you have to set it at one . There is no zero like standard . The stereo sound system is horrible. Cadillac, Aston Martin, Landrover, Lexus, and Jaguar sound much better, it has a 2 second turbo lag when floor it. The expensive tires last about 11,000 miles with normal driving. That is so sad.

HATE THIS CAR, HATE DEALER SUPPORT EVEN MORE

Jason Mayer, 06/27/2018
AMG S 63 4dr Sedan AWD (5.5L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

I bought this car new and since the day I drove it off the lot it's knocked in the front left suspension and no one will attempt to repair it. They tell me they "can't just throw parts in the car" without replicating the sound. Well a technician heard the noises and said it's not the tires. Two dealerships recommended I change the tires to All-Season tires which I do not want on my high performance car. So they think I should be the one to "just throw parts on the car" to see if it fixed the problem? Are you kidding me?! Look, if they just made a reasonable attempt to resolve it, I'd be OK. But it's sad that I spent $170,000 on this thing with prepaid service and taxes, and they won't even attempt to solve it by changing out a shock absorber, bushing, or strut; even when the tech heard the noise and said "yep, it's not the tires". HATE IT! Probably going back to BMW. I have to be honest, if I wasn't having this issue for over a year now, the rating may be a 4 or maybe even a 5.

No happe with S550e

Amal Elayyan, 10/20/2017
S 550e Plug-In Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 7A)

I have been driving Mercedes most of my life even when I was young growing up my father always had a Mercedes. I love the car and the comfort level is great but I have never been so disappointed with a Mercedes in all my life as much as this time. I live in a gated very nice Golf community and most of my trips to San Francisco mostly no dirt or country driving, in 6 months the windshield crack twice the first time around I took it to the dealer and the cost was about $3000 now less than six months and the windshield crack again not sure if I want to spend another 3000 at the same time hate to drive such a nice beautiful almost new car with the window cracked, I took it to the dealer hoping they will honor some kind of warranty but no luck, Also the Car went totally dead on my few time not sure whey!!! I also felt it has been an issue with the charge because when I charged it totally to 100% and within 3-5 miles it the charge is down to 20% according to the manual I should drive a little longer in 100% charge. Like I said I always drove owned and leased Mercedes but never had to deal with so many issues as much as this one it is either a lemon or Mercedes need to invest a little more time in creating the electric cars with the same high standard and quality they usually offer and deliver to customers. Thank you, ae