Used 2016 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:

2016 GL 450 is our new favorite
By CorSol

2016 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL 450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 7A)

We have owned this suv for 7 months now and we love it. It is so comfortable, quite, and great to drive. Our only complaint is for 70k the navigation and entertainment system could be better. This is the only shortcoming. Otherwise this is our favorite car for the family.

Best SUV I have ever owned
By J F Meyer

2016 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL 550 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

I have owned many luxury SUV's over the years and my GL550 has been the most all around satisfying SUV that I have owned. You can find one thing to like about any SUV, but when the product receives high marks in every category of owner satisfaction, I am inclined to believe I have found the best in class for the moment. This is my second GL550, and that should be an indication of my satisfaction, as I shopped other luxury brands before buying the second GL550. I have every option on my GL550, and that's how I generally ordered all my new vehicles, so that tends to increase owner satisfaction, but the basic unit is solid and sets a high bar of meeting expectations in this category before getting into the personal tailoring to meet the owners needs. I have the upgrade Designo interior in my current GL550, and find this expensive option to be worth every dollar, as the seat comfort on long trips is exceptional to the standard seat. Our Audi A8 with the upgraded interior, has the most comfortable seats in the industry (pretty much sets the bar for comfort), and the GL550 gets as close as anything to an Audi interior experience. The Mercedes product line is very customizable to personal taste, so I suggest that you pick your salesman carefully, so that you receive a exceptional experience in learning about the product before buying. As a note of caution, I have friends that felt conflicted after taking delivery of their new Mercedes cars, because after a couple weeks of ownership, they learned about what their car did not have, that they expected to be included based on talking too and buying from an inexperienced salesman.

I have done a follow-up review of my previous comments shown above and still stand by the original comments. This industry segment is becoming crowed with new entries into the luxury segment, but the value of the new entries is questionable when you looking at starting prices that would scare a Billionaire. I am anxiously waiting for the totally redone 2019 Mercedes Benz GLS. I now have forty-thousand miles on my GL, and I have had zero issues. I replaced the original equipment summer-tires with all-season Continental tires and actually improved handling, ride, and traction on wet roads. Gone are the days of hydroplaning on wet or slushy roads.

Don't be fooled by the Mercedes Badge
By Carl D

2016 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL 550 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

The GL550 is quick, looks good, and is made of high quality materials. My sticker was 95K. I enjoyed the vehicle for about 900 miles., but prior to 5k Miles there was over 6k worth of warranty work that included tires, transmission, window seals, and an HVAC smell that was similar to mold. This was my first Mercedes and my hopes were very high. I knew a lot of folks that had E and S series sedans and they mostly had no issues. If you spend the time to look very closely to consumer complaints and ratings of this vehicle you'll soon find out that the quality is sub-par across the board. Maintenance costs, breakdowns, ongoing known issue that should generate recalls but instead generate TB's (Technical Bulletins) that outline the known issues but give the dealership the "flexibility" to address the fix at their own discretion. Take the time to investigate the customer issues and total cost of ownership and you'll find this is a poor choice. I traded mine in at 19200 miles because I just got fed up with the downtime in the shop and all of the overall issues.

7 months later and still Love, Love, Love this car
By Rocky Mountains Driver

2016 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL 450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 7A)

My first Mercedes Benz . . . I really researched SUV's, looking for that perfect balance of utility, comfort and reliability. I went out of my way to get one with standard tires, the ride is so much better, smoother. It maybe doesn't look very flashy, but then flash was not something I wanted. The seats could be a little more comfortable, they're only ok, they are hard and begin getting uncomfortable after long hours of driving. The pick-up is smooth and immediate, easy to pass. The Distronic cruise control is beyond wonderful, it makes long drives so much more pleasant and easier too. The entertainment system is excellent, very intuitive and the console knob is very convenient and easy to operate. While the bluetooth phone hooks right up without any problem, connecting your music is a little harder and is my only complaint with the entertainment options. Navigation is great. Over the past 10 years I've driven a couple of Escalades (and every year they are little more uncomfortable and missing another bell or whistle), Tahoe (how much stick on plastic pieces can they fit in the interior?), Navigator (why oh why does Ford/Lincoln not get on board with adaptive cruise control in their most luxurious SUV?). The Mercedes beats them all, on all fronts. It's quieter, smoother, more responsive. Cruise control holds as well going downhill as on a flat surface. We don't need the 3rd row of seats and they fold down easily and flat, creating a large cargo area. MB offers great mats and containers built to fit, making optimal use of the area. Body built in America, engine built in Germany. I turned off the lane minder feature, I found the vibration and gentle guide back into my lane aggravating, would probably turn it on if I was driving sleepy, otherwise it's just too sensitive. Overall, great vehicle . . . I hope it continues to exceed my expectations.

the best utility vehicle,but not a luxury vehicle
By VandyJody

2016 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL 450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 7A)

Well, after the engine stalled on the interstate and a few years weeks work, MB determined it needed all new computers. It turned the engine & transmission into a very impressive operation with about a 2 MPG improvement as well. Still has super Hard seats, mediocre brakes and very odd handling. But, it is a tough vehicle- the best utility vehicle I have ever owned. It will pull a 7500 lb trailer with ease as well as lumber amd anything else you throw in there. But if you want comfort or luxury, don't get this. The most inaccurate auto climate control since 1960 doesn't help. It drives kind of like a 1990's SUV with a 2015 engine amd almost works.