Used 1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used E-Class for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...14

Pros
Cons

Fantastic car

luckysharkey, 02/09/2015
E420 4dr Sedan

Just bought the car a week ago and I am very happy. Even with 275k miles on it, it still runs like new. 20 years later it still has more style then most cars going down the road. great gas millage as well, for a 90's car.

My experience w/ E320

Stewmeistr, 03/16/2009

I find that finding someone who won't take advantage of you while fixing these cars is a very rare find. My suggestion is to get a code reader and diagnose problems yourself. Goto an online store like Az autohaus to buy parts or ebay and get parts to put on yourself. Most aren't tough, but will save you alot of money. Known problems are air mass sensors($), the ac fan relay. Ours has been relatively inexpensive to own, but I can see how you could get taken with one of these cars. The dealerships will charge big $ for simple problems. Good luck, these cars still drive better than new cars. Made with quality, but some bad parts spoil the bunch. Great mileage though and smooth power.

E420 Review

Gziut, 04/27/2010

I bought this car used, with extra low milage, from an owner in Italy. Although I was never a MB nut, I can see why people love the brand. It is, for a 13 year old car, a step above most cars that are supposedly younger, better etc. and cost the same if not more. While reliability is an issue in the W210's, you can't expect a 13 year old car to be flawless or not experience any mechanical failures from wear and tear. From my research, the W210's are the last of the proper German engineered and assembled MB's (some say the W124's were the last such breed). If you are planning on buying a used W210, especially the E420, take it to an honest MB dealer and get it thoroughly checked. Then enjoy.

230K, and wont stop!

Adam Simmons, 07/30/2015
E320 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a sensible break from my usual buying habit of things small, German, and fast. I bought it from a little old lady who's family were taking the keys from her hand. The price of the car was peanuts, but this in no way reflected on the quality of the car. It had been well taken care of. I'm amazed that a car with almost a quarter million miles on it can glide down the road, accelerating with ample power comparable to modern cars, while shifting almost undetectably. This is a magical car. The styling in the modern eye is completely milktoast. Ive found that this is because the lines and cues of this car have been so heavily sampled by other makes, that it blends into the background. You look like everyone when everyone wants to look like you.

last of a dying breed

Adrian, 02/21/2016
E420 4dr Sedan

First off this car is amazing, it's everything you could ever ask from a 90's luxury sports car. If reminds me of my 98 Infiniti q45t in the aspect that it's just designed so beautifully. The headrests are power for Christ sake. The seat is power in almost ten different ways. The quality of materials is A1 from the carpet to the leather. There's a power rear sun screen, what I like to call "secret storage compartments" in the coolest places. I mean I feel like james bond driving this thing. I bought this car from one of those "I hats this p.o.s." guys you'll read in a second for $100. Yes ladies and gents $100. I'm a mechanic so idk about the dealer prices but I paid $97 for a control arm that snapped in half somehow.. (We're not sure to this day how, probably why the dude was so pissed at it) and fixed a leaky steering rack for damn near nothing and the car runs like brand new. It's got 250,000 miles on it and I bet it would run the same numbers it did when it was new. It's really just a beautifully designed and engineered car. This was my first Mercedes and I gotta say, this thing is fn awesome. I wouldn't sell this thing for $10k right now and I paid a hundred bucks for it. Over all I give it the obvious A+

12345...14