Skip to main content

Used Protege for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...27

Pros
Cons
4.88 out of 5 stars

Passed down to me.

devin994, 06/23/2011
2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

For the small amount of time that I've owned this car, it's absolutely fantastic! However, this car has been in our family ever since 2002. It has an automatic transmission and everything in the car is going strong even after 190,000 miles! This car has battled through many trips from New York to Florida and the only problem during all of those trips was that the driver's side window ceased to function. It was promptly fixed and works as good as new! The story on this car is that my parents had bought this vehicle new the year this came out. This car has mostly highway miles. 3 days a week, it travels 140 into the city and back home for the past 9 years. Never has it broken down!

Just Totalled it Today

Barté, 01/27/2003
2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This morning, Jan 26, 03 at 12:09, three friends and I were involved in an automobile accident in my 2002 Mazda Protegé ES. The accident involved a speeding pickup truck. The impact occured MAYBE 20 degrees of an angle away from being a head-on collison. My protegé is totalled. All four of us walked away. All four.

4.5 out of 5 stars

165K trouble free miles

Ray, 08/28/2010
2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I can't say enough good things about this car. I'm still on the original clutch and original water pump. Just change the oil every 3,750 miles and perform the major service every 30K miles. Amazing car.

Adequate performance and reliable

lzp, 12/27/2004
2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's my first car. Bought it new in August 2002. Have been driving it ever since then and no real problems occured. If I have to be really picky, then here are some minor issues: (1) twice in winter morning, with temperature at around minus 20 celsius (I live in Toronto), the stereo stopped functioning --- the problem disappeared next day. (2) experiences over snowy roads is not as good, especially when making turns, the car could slide sideways. (3) My girl friend complained that air circulation is restrained in certain modes; from reading the reviews here that seems to be a common complain, but it didn't bother me that much. Overall, the car has been fun to drive and reliable.

4 out of 5 stars

Great small car for short trips around town

W. Graham, 03/06/2017
2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I inherited this car as it was my mothers. When she passed (2008) it had a whopping 14,000 on the car. She literally only drove it to store and church. I am not joking. In 2008 the car was still like new and the paint clear coat was coming off. The paint is crap. The seats are fairly nice except they are not comfortable on trips. My husband is 6'2 and he has trouble with sufficient room driving it on trips. The fuel economy is excellent. When I worked and drove 22 miles a day to a job the car would run on a tank of gas for two weeks. It's a wonderful car if you are not around 6' tall. I still have the car today and the clear coat is almost gone. Mazda didn't do too good on the paint with this one. One last thing is the car has terrible road noise. If you are in the rear seat you can't hear anyone speaking to you from the front

3 out of 5 stars